Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Kit Build - It's...It's...ALIVE!!!!!!

Andy R

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet?

Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet? Is It Done Yet?

Hopefully today!!!!

Ummm... in Indiana? [biggrin] (Building a bad mofo of a JTM45)

Depends on what part of Indiana. You can rock some wind surfing on Lake Michigan if you don't mind the steel mills or refineries along the shore. And golf? Trust me, you ain't missing anything.

Well Thanks for all the nice and encouraging words. I really appreciate it.

Well here's where I'm at today. Pretty much done. Did an initial test run to form the caps but resistor burnt right before the Bias Circuit. Realized I had an 82K Resistor instead of 8.2 K so I replaced it and it started to burn as well. eusa_think.gif So I decided to call it a night and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. Here's some more pics for anyone who is interested. Hopefully I can get the problem resolved and finish cleaning up the wiring tomorrow.... eusa_pray.gif

Lacing up the board....

806ecb75.jpg

cc3e564c.jpg

Board laced in

f84d9937.jpg

b24f0d19.jpg

eb964f91.jpg

Board Populated !! msp_w00t.gif

b1086024.jpg

Stay Tuned!!!! Hopefully tomorrow I will get this beast roaring! eusa_pray.gif

Well SHITE!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't sleep and took another look at the schematics and figured out the problem with the resistor.... Fixed the problem fired it up without tubes ( with a load ) and all was good!msp_thumbup.gif So I plug all the tubes in and fire it it up ( Damn near literally) Everything was looking good. Tube heaters were working and then the 1970 Foghat Live Fog starts to roll out underneath!! msp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gif So I grabbed the power and unplugged it and flipped it over and realized that when I pushed the power tubes in it pushed one of the Tube socket leads over and grounded out the heater wires and they were smoked between the power tubes!!!!msp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gif I don't like to tweak the tube socket leads much since they are prone to snapping off !!!!!! Dang It!!!!! @$%# ^%#$ *&^#^* (@*@&*@ !!!!! Oh well I already got it cleaned out and will have to replace a couple of heater wires tomorrow! At least i caught it before it ran down the whole chain through the pre-amp tubes! Hopefully I didn't Fook up the Output Transformer!!!!! I can say for sure this amp is "Smokin" No pain no Glory and all that!

Andy

[scared] Damn! Sorry Andy, that sucks! Didn't it come with instructions? +:-@#-o

Just kidding! :lol:

It sounds like you got it handled. I can't wait to hear it.

Ha yeah and they are pretty good but I went with a different grounding Scheme instead of using the single star ground scheme. Notice the back of the pots don't have the ground bus bar running across them. The ground Scheme I used isolates into smaller star grounds and isolates similar sections of the amp on their own small star ground module. I also changed the original standby switch wiring since it was wired with the old method. New method reduces hard shocking the Tubes and Caps when powered on. Once you start straying from the instruction book it can get a little dicey. I'm not an electronics expert by any means but have learned enough that If I stare at a schematic long enough I can usually figure out what is what and what it is doing.

The faults all mine as I should have double checked after I pushed the tubes in. Just never had that happen before so chalk this up to learning (burning) experience. I'm about to get started on it again.

will post my progress.

Regards!

Ha yeah and they are pretty good but I went with a different grounding Scheme instead of using the single star ground scheme. Notice the back of the pots don't have the ground bus bar running across them. The ground Scheme I used isolates into smaller star grounds and isolates similar sections of the amp on their own small star ground module. I also changed the original standby switch wiring since it was wired with the old method. New method reduces hard shocking the Tubes and Caps when powered on. Once you start straying from the instruction book it can get a little dicey. I'm not an electronics expert by any means but have learned enough that If I stare at a schematic long enough I can usually figure out what is what and what it is doing.

The faults all mine as I should have double checked after I pushed the tubes in. Just never had that happen before so chalk this up to learning (burning) experience. I'm about to get started on it again.

will post my progress.

Regards!

Looks good so far though!

Young Frankenstein was what I thought of too. That's great. Heathkit too! Love to hear it also. Big ditto on the congrats. I'm grinning and smiling looking at the pics of the lighted tubes also, and your power light lit.

Archived