Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day 1997 Epiphone Riviera VT CH

mydeadblues

Beautiful guitar. Great buy. I always loved Rivieras, though I don't own one. Too bad Epiphone discountinued the model. I'm aware of the Nick Valensi(whoever he is) model, it's the original mini humbucker model I find attractive.

Thanks guys! Ya I'm in love with the Rivieras, I also wish they never discontinued them because I think the current p93 is a sorry excuse for a Riviera ha. Overall I'm very pleased with the guitar and I don't think I'm going to sell it for a while, I will let you know if I change my mind cunningham. I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow for a proper set up :).

What do you dislike about the Riv P93, what's the problem with them from your point of view?

I purchased one from Musiciansfriend right when they came out. Maybe I psyched myself up and got a bad one but I just didn't like how it felt. The fat C neck was unexpected because all of the other rivieras have slim necks. The third pickup was also bothersome because it got in the way when I strummed. I seemed to be hitting the pickup with my pick and it was apparent as it amplified through my fender blues deville. I returned it the next day it just didn't seem like a riviera.

The fat C neck was unexpected because all of the other rivieras have slim necks

Now that's a problem, being of the short fingered variety I much prefer a slim, or better still, narrow necked guitars, I've really been eager to get a P93, I might have to reconsider this though in light of your experiences.

Well musicians friend has a great return policy. Try one out for free off mf if your local shop doesn't carry them ha. I personally just didn't like the feel of them. I had a jorma riviera that had a fatter 50s neck it was also equipped with a bigsby. I actually got use to the neck and enjoyed playing that, there was just something about that p93 I felt I couldn't get use to and did not like.

Archived