Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day 1997 Epiphone Riviera VT CH

mydeadblues

Beautiful guitar. Great buy. I always loved Rivieras, though I don't own one. Too bad Epiphone discountinued the model. I'm aware of the Nick Valensi(whoever he is) model, it's the original mini humbucker model I find attractive.

Thanks guys! Ya I'm in love with the Rivieras, I also wish they never discontinued them because I think the current p93 is a sorry excuse for a Riviera ha. Overall I'm very pleased with the guitar and I don't think I'm going to sell it for a while, I will let you know if I change my mind cunningham. I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow for a proper set up :).

I also wish they never discontinued them because I think the current p93 is a sorry excuse for a Riviera ha.

What do you dislike about the Riv P93, what's the problem with them from your point of view?

What do you dislike about the Riv P93, what's the problem with them from your point of view?

I purchased one from Musiciansfriend right when they came out. Maybe I psyched myself up and got a bad one but I just didn't like how it felt. The fat C neck was unexpected because all of the other rivieras have slim necks. The third pickup was also bothersome because it got in the way when I strummed. I seemed to be hitting the pickup with my pick and it was apparent as it amplified through my fender blues deville. I returned it the next day it just didn't seem like a riviera.

The fat C neck was unexpected because all of the other rivieras have slim necks

Now that's a problem, being of the short fingered variety I much prefer a slim, or better still, narrow necked guitars, I've really been eager to get a P93, I might have to reconsider this though in light of your experiences.

Well musicians friend has a great return policy. Try one out for free off mf if your local shop doesn't carry them ha. I personally just didn't like the feel of them. I had a jorma riviera that had a fatter 50s neck it was also equipped with a bigsby. I actually got use to the neck and enjoyed playing that, there was just something about that p93 I felt I couldn't get use to and did not like.

Archived