Gibson Brands Forums

The Pub Thread

Duende

London Pride is one of my fav's!!

A well-kept Pride is indeed a thing of beauty.

As I visit France quite a lot I get the chance to savour many, many great Belgian beers. Orval; Chimay; St Feuillien; La Trappe...hmmmmm.

Wine-wise I prefer the red stuff from the left-bank of the Gironde; Puillac, St Julien; St Estephe etc...etc...

P.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I visit France quite a lot I get the chance to savour many, many great Belgian beers. Orval; Chimay; St Feuillien; La Trappe...hmmmmm.

Hmmmmmm Chimay.... Available from Tesco... Blue and red label.... Near 8% AVB.....LOL

Yes Phil, sounds like a plan!!! May have a new LP on the horizon!! ;-)

What you getting? How exciting! msp_thumbup.gif

I am getting a gypsy jazz guitar very soon and cannot waIt - I have wanted one for years. I am enjoying some nice Morrisons own brand whisky and it is going down very well.

Matt

As I visit France quite a lot I get the chance to savour many, many great Belgian beers. ... Chimay; ...

Those two I can get here in the states, but at a price. I treat myself to both whenever possible.

The Chimay may be the best ale in the history of mankind. And while I'm sure the bottled versions

don't compare to the tap versions, the Fullers brews are delicious. I like the London Pride, but I

really love the Extra Special Bitter!

I've just seen on MSN that for - two nights only - pubs will be open till 1pm when Wills and Kate tie the knot. Any chance of a lock-in here, landlord? Make mine a pint of Adnams Broadside, followed by a Staropramen and a Belgian Gueuze (Kriek tastes even better without the cherries).

Back to reality, and it'll probably have to be a bottle of Dreher or Arány Ászok. If I'm lucky, Erdinger wheat beer.

Talk swirls that SABMiller is keen to buy Guinness from Diageo

Source:IOL Business Report

January 12 2011 at 09:56am

Excerpt:

"Another year, another speculated deal for SABMiller.

2010 was the year that the world's second-largest beer company by volume was expected to buy the beer business of Australian-based Fosters. This year speculation has shifted, for the moment, to the acquisition of Guinness from its spirits-dominated holding company, Diageo."

I don't think I like the sound of this...

Bell's Winter Ale. It is taste nirvana.

Also stared getting back into porters this winter. Great Lakes Brewing makes a very tasty one called Edmund Fitzgerald. A very rich drink that will fill your senses. Mmmmm.

Wine-wise I prefer the red stuff from the left-bank of the Gironde; Puillac, St Julien; St Estephe etc...etc...

P.

Left-bankers are lovely, but they need ageing. Bordeaux is rather rare round here, so when a 2008 St. Steph came my way in November, I jumped at it as a Christmas dinner wine. Bad mistake! Needed another 5 years at least. As life is short, I'll take the rive droite instead. St. Emilion just perfect with Sunday roast. But what I really long for is a good Burgundy. When I win the lottery, I'll buy another Gibson and a Chambolle-Musigny. [biggrin]

I had a Goose Island and some homemade peanut butter cookies last night. Does that count?

Supporting a local business [thumbup]

Goose Island beers aren't very good. Honkers Ale and 312 are almost undrinkable. You probably had their pop.

Any of you folks west of PA who are interested in Yuengling might be able to get your hands on it in the next couple of years. Personally, I don't see what the fuss is about with it, but many trip over themselves trying to get it. The brewer recently purchased an old Coors facility in Tenn. I believe, which will obviously open up their distribution network. I know at least a few folks in Ohio are very excited about it.

There are tons and tons of notable craft/micro brews out there. Nearly every part of the country boasts there own, particularly in the Northeast and Pacific Northwest. They're what people want these days. Despite the rest of the category declining, they continue to gain market share without lowering prices, and there doesn't seem to be signs of it slowing down.

For the record, those who have mentioned Great Lakes Brewing get my vote as well. Excellent beers, and if you're fortunate enough to get your hands on a Christmas Ale, savor every drop!

What are your recommendations?

Bell's makes a lot of tasty beers. Their winter ale is my favorite. Their brown ale isn't too bad either. Great Lakes is great too. What kind of beers do you like: brown ales, red ales, lagers, pilsners, stouts, porters, IPAs? If you are new to beer give Sam Smith's organic lager a try. Tops for a good and very drinkable beer. Great on summer afternoons.

Left-bankers are lovely, but they need ageing. Bordeaux is rather rare round here, so when a 2008 St. Steph came my way in November, I jumped at it as a Christmas dinner wine. Bad mistake! Needed another 5 years at least. As life is short, I'll take the rive droite instead. St. Emilion just perfect with Sunday roast. But what I really long for is a good Burgundy. When I win the lottery, I'll buy another Gibson and a Chambolle-Musigny. [biggrin]

Could I interest Sir in a case?

RomaneeContiBottle-760987.jpg

How many lotteries did you say you won?

I've just found some of the '64 (drinking now) for a whisker over $11,900 per bottle...

LOL!

Yes; it's difficult to get a decent old rive-gauche for a reasonable price in London. We tend to buy a few cases when we take the car over to France.

As a Chambolle-Musigny man I'd have thought a nice Margaux would be your Bordeaux of choice...:-k

There are some wonderful wines from small producers that can be picked up ridiculously cheap.

I think we brought back a mixed bag of about 80 - 90 bottles last visit although even in France good white Burgundys (Meursault especially) are becoming very pricey.

My wife's actually prefers the Loire valley stuff which can be found at truly fantastic prices being, as they are, less sought-after.

Ah me. It turns out I am a cork-sniffer, after all!

LOL!

P

It ain't Gaja or Mouton but I am chugging some Spanish Rioja horsepiss that's so bad I'm cutting it with Diet 7-Up. Bottoms up, you scum!

...these grapes were grown on the wrong side of the road.

A few days ago my I injured my wisdom tooth's gum; it had swollen up and ached like hell, so a trip to the doctors resulted in antibiotics and hence no real life booze for a week...

so in the virtual world I will have a Glenfiddich please - my favourite whisky!!

Matt

Glenfiddich%2015%20Solera%20Reserva.gif

Archived