Gibson Brands Forums

New Bracelets?

retrosurfer1959

I was bored today and not in the mood to work on a couple of commissions I need to finish, so I decided to change some strings on a cpouple of guitars and my Bass. Well as I was finishing up I was just sitting looking at the pile of old strings etc and got a idea for a couple of bracelets. One is the string ends that I just alternated Bass then guitar until I had it long enough. The second one is made from the B string off the Bass, I just put it into a wire bending jig and bent it until I could weave the pattern I wanted. What do you all think cool, or should they go into the trash like old strings usually do?

IMG_0421.jpg

Thanks all - the bracelets were not hard to make but it would be tough to get enough of the parts to build them in any kind of numbers, even with my larger collection of guitars it takes me awhile to collect enough of the bead things to make a couple of bracelets.

Who knows what the strings end things are called? Calling them the little bead thingamajigs or the doohickies on the end doesn't really help me find them online?

The one made from the bass string was harder not only did I need to bend and then braid the springing string itself but then I could not keep the strings together as a single unit, even silver solder didn't work, the pressure on the bent strings are under they just would not work. I finally solved the problem by carving a small heavy sided tube on a micro lathe out of silver that I then crushed to hold the strings and a bracelet latch in place, I then filled the crushed tube with solder making them a single unit that doesn't come apart.

Hope that definition helps, if it doesn't and your trying to make one just let me know and I'll put another one together showing the step by step process out of photographs.

Who knows what the strings end things are called?

You need to contact Phineas and Ferb. They found out what the correct name was for the ends of shoelaces.

Although, somehow, the name escapes me now......

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Nice job there.

You need to contact Phineas and Ferb. They found out what the correct name was for the ends of shoelaces.

Although, somehow, the name escapes me now......

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Nice job there.

Never saw the show, but they are aglets.

I just know them as the ball end, I think ferrules are a rubber tube put through guitars in string-thrus.

Edit:nevermind they are things that hold the string in the back of a string-thru,

My link

Yep ferrules can be seen from the back of string throughs. I can see them on my tele custom and MK patriot. Mine are made from steel though. They just help you to guide the string through the body and make it look more aestetically pleasing

how many strings did you use to make the bottom one?

Just one B string which was a little over 30 inches when removed- The bracelet is 3 pieces of the B string at 8.5 inches, you lose a little length by weaving them but then the clasp adds almost 3/4 inch back so it depends on what you want the final length to be I made these 2 at a nine inch length.

Archived