Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Compilation record?

dem00n

Stairways to Heaven - The Money or the Gun, various artists (all from Australia), 12 different versions of "Stairway to Heaven". This CD is a hoot. Imagine...an Elvis impersonator doing "Stairway" with a "Viva Las Vegas" vibe, or a bluegrass version reminiscent of "Dueling Banjos". Entertaining stuff.

Pretty much anything from the Putumayo label.

They showcase music from around the globe that one might not otherwise ever hear.

We've quite a collection of their stuff. My favourite is probably 'Acoustic Brazil' which is pretty self-explanatory. Another cracker is a mix of stuff from all over Africa - Mali; Senegal; Madagascar and so forth.

The albums typically feature music from the last 30 or 40 years but mostly fairly recent tracks.

Well worth hunting them down.

Here you go!

http://www.putumayo.com/en/?utm_source=Home%2BPage&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=Home%2BPage%2Bredirect

P.

I love the "Death Is Just the Beginning" CD's, it featured metal bands from around the world of all diffrent generes. Great way to discover new metal bands.

Those are pretty good, I buy those as well.

They are sometimes hit or miss, but I enjoy the songs that suck too because they make me laugh. [lol]

For me it's the four-disc Chess Blues box set...it goes from 1947 all the way to 1967 over four discs in chronological order, and with some really great tracks on each disc, from both the legends (e.g. Buddy Guy, Howlin' Wolf, etc.) and more obscure acts (e.g. Johnny Shines, Andrew Tibbs, etc.) It's just about all the blues a guy could ask for (although I do keep buying blues albums, so...)

After that, it's this four-disc Dixieland and Swing box set...same deal as the Chess box set, except with a greater range of acts, and I think a lot of them are more obscure because so much of the swing-era stuff has been "lost in time" so to speak. It's a great compilation.

For me it's the four-disc Chess Blues box set...it goes from 1947 all the way to 1967 over four discs in chronological order, and with some really great tracks on each disc, from both the legends (e.g. Buddy Guy, Howlin' Wolf, etc.) and more obscure acts (e.g. Johnny Shines, Andrew Tibbs, etc.) It's just about all the blues a guy could ask for (although I do keep buying blues albums, so...)

After that, it's this four-disc Dixieland and Swing box set...same deal as the Chess box set, except with a greater range of acts, and I think a lot of them are more obscure because so much of the swing-era stuff has been "lost in time" so to speak. It's a great compilation.

+1, I couldn't agree more, that's a great collection

One of my favorites is the soundtrack to "The Decline of Western Civilization".

L.A. Punk at its finest.

Yea buddy! Lately I have been addicted to a massive 13-volume comp of (mostly) moldy oldies from Lux Interior & Poison Ivy of the Cramps. It is bonkers. ...and available free online; email me if anybody's interested, I don't have the link handy.

Archived