Gibson Brands Forums

Job For a Cowboy

dem00n

I cant see whats so great about em.

People are *****ing that their last record was a masterpiece, not only those mallcore and scene kids to.

Symbolically, they remind me of just beiber but in the metal world.

Edit: i dont know why i posted this, im just ranting. [lol]

The problem is, when a record is considered really good from alot of people and i dont like it, 90% of the time i can see why people would like it or consider it to be original. But when it comes to this record all it reminds me was the spawn of the technical metal bands that only played for the sake of technicality, its sorta like history repeating it self here.

For example, i dont like Rory Gallagher but i can see why people consider him a legend.

I saw Job for a Cowboy open for Corpse on their first tour. I didn't think they were bad, but they didn't stand out as great either.

Justin Beiber? Mainstream? When I saw them, they were death metal. Unless there last album took a pretty drastic turn, your either smoking crack, or way more metal than anyone else on the planet.

I saw Job for a Cowboy open for Corpse on their first tour. I didn't think they were bad, but they didn't stand out as great either.

Justin Beiber? Mainstream? When I saw them, they were death metal. Unless there last album took a pretty drastic turn, your either smoking crack, or way more metal than anyone else on the planet.

All the kids that listen to metal talk about Job For A Cowboy and how awesome they are. That's mainstream

All the kids that listen to metal talk about Job For A Cowboy and how awesome they are. That's mainstream

And yet, in HS I got blank stares when I mentioned Possessed or Morbid Angel...

Conclusion (and my logic will not be presented in detail, but I can substantiate if asked for details on my reasoning): JFAC is, for a lot of people, probably the closest thing to an introduction to death metal that they will hear. For some it will stick and they will figure it out eventually, for others it will be a fashion statement and they will still be essentially mallcore fans. Good for them [rolleyes]

And yet, in HS I got blank stares when I mentioned Possessed or Morbid Angel...

Conclusion (and my logic will not be presented in detail, but I can substantiate if asked for details on my reasoning): JFAC is, for a lot of people, probably the closest thing to an introduction to death metal that they will hear. For some it will stick and they will figure it out eventually, for others it will be a fashion statement and they will still be essentially mallcore fans. Good for them [rolleyes]

My friend listens to a bunch of the mallcore stuff. He started naming off all of these bands that he bought shirts for, I called them all mall metal and he promptly disagreed. I asked him three questions about the shirts

Do they:

a ) come from Hot Topic?

b ) have lettering that looks like tree branches?

c ) have cartoons as the main graphic?

d ) all of the above.

The answer was: D [lol]

He was pissed

My friend listens to a bunch of the mallcore stuff. He started naming off all of these bands that he bought shirts for, I called them all mall metal and he promptly disagreed. I asked him three questions about the shirts

Do they:

a ) come from Hot Topic?

d ) all of the above.

He was pissed

Excellent. [thumbup]

Y'know, at the same time...I feel like a lot of the mall metal bands at least get some things right, so I tend to feel bad when I discredit them entirely. You know...JFAC might suck when stacked up against Carcass or Necrophagist, but...up to Justin Bieber, JFAC is definitely a skilled group of musicians.

Excellent. [thumbup]

Y'know, at the same time...I feel like a lot of the mall metal bands at least get some things right, so I tend to feel bad when I discredit them entirely. You know...JFAC might suck when stacked up against Carcass or Necrophagist, but...up to Justin Bieber, JFAC is definitely a skilled group of musicians.

I learned this from here: Don't scoff at published work, HOWEVER, I don't have to like it.

It just sounds generic, but to those people, my music probably sounds lame and like it sucks to them (shrug) oh well, if everyone liked my music, I would be a billionaire and wouldn't have anything to complain about, so I'm good [flapper]

Uhh..name some more "mall metal" bands...never heard that term.....guess cuz I rarely (if ever) visit the mall. :)

Escape the Fate, Avenged Sevenfold, pretty much anything in the nu (or n00b) metal category. I do like stuff from both of those bands, but I admit what it is.

yeah from the couple songs i've heard, they sound like one in millions of cannibal corpse/suffocation imitators. i guess they're bridging the generation gap and being ambassadors for the kids who may have problems listening to music made by people old enough to be their fathers....

Do they:

a ) come from Hot Topic?

d ) all of the above.

He was pissed

Okay, so you rank the awesomeness of the 9 kids that listen to death metal at your high school by where they buy their shirts? You want to see mainstream? Turn on American Idol for three minutes. "Main stream death metal" is an oxymoron. Kind of like being the coolest kid in marching band.

I just happened to be walking past their tourbuss (in manchester uk) a few years ago and they let me and my mates come on and have some booze with them, they all seemed pretty nice guys. They offered us to stay on the buss to their next few gigs, but i didn't really know anything about metal (still don't) and had uni the next day so said no. They were on a tour with Unearth (who i don't know either).

But it was a good night.

Okay, so you rank the awesomeness of the 9 kids that listen to death metal at your high school by where they buy their shirts? You want to see mainstream? Turn on American Idol for three minutes. "Main stream death metal" is an oxymoron. Kind of like being the coolest kid in marching band.

No **** American Idol is more mainstream [lol]

JFAC is the kind of **** that all of the br00tal kids know and think is the best because they are so "heavy man, like ridiculous (insert stupid *** headbanging)

I live in the suburbs, all the kids think they are br00tal here, not just 9 kids.

When you play their music along with their "influences" and no one can tell them apart, that's mainstream mall metal music.

Archived