Gibson Brands Forums

Genre you play?

Silenced Fred

Really? This actually exists? I thought I was making crap up. Figures someone actually plays it. [blink]

I joked with my friend who bought a banjo that we should start a metal band with distorted banjo, he said it was real. Looked it up on the tube, and there were some funny videos

I thought I'd replied earlier, but...

I can't say. I do everything from a little Bach to piano bar to rock to blues to folkie, country to cowboy.

The times I've specialized it was because I was paid to.

A pro friend of mine pretty well nailed it last night as we talked about this one, although crudely: "I'm a whore," he said, referring to his versatility on guitar and singing. He plays for a living in a sparsely-populated area and he's raised a family that way.

I haven't gone that route, but when I've played just for me, it tends to be old acoustic blues of various sorts and "piano bar" jazz versions of "standards" up through the 60s. When I've played with others... whatever paid.

m

I find that I play nothing like what I listen to recreationally. It's had me baffled since I started playing.

I've theorized that it's a subconcious initiative my brain takes me on. Some may call me a tense person. An "over thinker". Moody. Worry too much. So...because of this, I think my brain is swaying me to play something which balances me out. Therefore, when I play, it tends to be very mellow, smooth, and warm. I realize when I finish, I'm relaxed and calm. Haven't thought about anything else while I played.

At any rate, if I'm listening to music, it's much more energetic and aggressive compared to what I play.

Archived