Gibson Brands Forums

i DO NOT like jimi hendrix...

S t e v e

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

over 100 replys nat so clearly people care [rolleyes]

as the people with brains on here have said, disagreeing with someone is one thing but name calling and personal insults are another.

people disagree with my hendrix comments but still they post in my thread so clearly they care, i don't like him...99% of you do...thank you all for your time and attention on this matter i now feel i know some of you better than before and it will keep me in good stead for the future.

peace B)

You know what I mean. Don't be a smartass :)

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if you like Hendrix

Sheesh, 7 pages...

To extend upon my first post (which, I think, was simply "I like Hendrix," which is about as neutral as it gets) it doesn't matter at all to me whether or not Steve likes Jimi Hendrix. I think the flaming, in a way, is a little counterproductive and more incendiary than anything else.

We don't need to employ ad hominem in order to make Steve look "wrong" for an opinion which cannot be intrinsically right or wrong. To say that he has the tastes of a fourteen-year-old really says nothing, as when I was fourteen I was a big Hendrix fan, and knew a decent number of others like me. The thing is that, if not for a few people getting up in arms over the topic, there'd be nothing to discuss, and this flame-fest would not have made it to a second page. There really is not, in my eyes, much of anything here to discuss--Steve doesn't like Hendrix. I think Hendrix was excellent because of his subtle, effective and imaginative phrasing and his creative and compelling songwriting...not to mention his tone :) . Describing what I like about Hendrix does no good, though, because for every reason I have for being the Hendrix fan that I am (and yeah, my enthusiasm for him has waned a little, but I still consider myself a big fan,) that can serve as a reason for someone else to dislike his music.

For the record, my undergarments aren't bunched up in any way.

I think that the fact that Hendrix seems like such a huge figure in the history of popular music is exactly what made this thread so long. There are the flamers, the apologists and everyone else, but for most guitarists, a thread like this wouldn't have lasted two pages. For instance, I love "Fast" Eddie Clarke from Motorhead (and Fastway,) Wolf Hoffmann from Accept, Brian Tatler from Diamond Head, Paul Gilbert, and Glenn Tipton/K.K. Downing from Judas Priest. Granted, I am a bit of a late-70s/80s metal nerd, but I consider these guys to be amongst my favorite guitarists. Would I get up in arms if somebody posted an "I DO NOT like "Fast" Eddie" thread? Probably a little. Would it last seven pages? DEFINITELY not.

... I think Hendrix was excellent because of his subtle, effective and imaginative phrasing and his creative and compelling songwriting...not to mention his tone :)

Actually, XDemonknight, you're one of the few who understands what makes an artist significant. In order to evaluate whether an artist is good, one of the things you must consider is the quality of relevant factors. Tone, song writing (lyrics and melody), and phrasing are all very relevant factors. Congratulations!

I've always held a view that "art" should spark emotion.

Be it music, literature, visual art or any other art form, the worst thing it can be described as is "nice" or "ok".

Love it or hate it, but don't be ambivalent to it. And I believe you can appreciate something without liking it.

Jimi was famous before he died - maybe more-so in the UK than the US - but the fact that his life was all too short-lived, but his musical legacy has lived on, has meant that he (or his estate) has become "more" famous and definitely made more money since his death.

But the same is also true of many other artists - Presley, Lennon, Billie Holliday, etc, etc.... that's just life (no pun intended).....

Just another 2-cents-worth from me.

Actually, XDemonknight, you're one of the few who understands what makes an artist significant. In order to evaluate whether an artist is good, one of the things you must consider is the quality of relevant factors. Tone, song writing (lyrics and melody), and phrasing are all very relevant factors. Congratulations!

I'd have to say I've found he's one of many who understands.

There's a lot of knowledgeable folks on here with varied backgrounds and opinions but I think deep down most know what makes an artist significant.

The difference as always is whether they're significant to you.

Just my thoughts.

you know, if we all liked that samethings in this world, it would be a pretty bland world.

I hate Jimi and hate his singing. He did nothing for music and that is why I hate him. always afraid to push the envelope :)

well said scott [thumbup]

You're right cookieman, and my apologies. XDemon was one of the only ones in this thread who offered an analytical reason to support his view. When you start talking about emotion, which obviously has it's place in all art, you start talking about aesthetics. Aesthetics are personal and subjective and are only one relevant factor in determining the goodness of an artist or work of art.

You're right cookieman, and my apologies. XDemon was one of the only ones in this thread who offered an analytical reason to support his view. When you start talking about emotion, which obviously has it's place in all art, you start talking about aesthetics. Aesthetics are personal and subjective and are only one relevant factor in determining the goodness of an artist or work of art.

[thumbup]

It all makes for interesting conversation Zig.msp_thumbup.gif

I heard he didn't like his own singing, either.

I've read that he didn't like his own guitar playing by 1970 either. So here we have the moment of synthesis in Steve's thread, where we realize that Steve and Hendrix are in fact at one with each other: neither of them liked Jimi Hendrix. (On a more positive note, I believe that they both enjoyed Chas and Dave in their time too.)

I've read that he didn't like his own guitar playing by 1970 either. So here we have the moment of synthesis in Steve's thread, where we realize that Steve and Hendrix are in fact at one with each other: neither of them liked Jimi Hendrix. (On a more positive note, I believe that they both enjoyed Chas and Dave in their time too.)

[biggrin]

... i swear hendrix is only famous because he's dead. ...

To be sure it's not overlooked - this statement is what upset a lot of people.

I personally don't care what anyone's opinion is of Hendrix - playing or singing.

Such a tasteless statement is obviously a classic troll line, especially controversial in the face of Jimi's well documented fame as a player and innovator before his death, as well as after. Something that is undeniable no matter what opinion the author holds about Jimi's playing, innovation and/or contribution.

Just two expansions on earlier points.

1. "Right time, right place." I wouldn't question that Hendrix had a major influence on later pickers whether he himself cared for some of his own playing or not. But it's almost a rerun of the old question whether there is a sound if a tree falls in the forest. Hendrix was at the right place at the right time for a different stylistic influence to be felt.

2. A lot of what he did was technological too. About 10 years earlier there weren't the Wahs and other "boxes" available. Also the zeitgeist in music was toward "psychedelic" lead guitar work and he had material that fit - again, regardless whether he liked it himself or not.

So... right time, right place. A year one way or another - perhaps much less than a year? I don't know. What might have been a different sort of career, especially had he lived and some bad habits not been involved? I dunno.

m

To be sure it's not overlooked - this statement is what upset a lot of people.

I personally don't care what anyone's opinion is of Hendrix - playing or singing.

Such a tasteless statement is obviously a classic troll line, especially controversial in the face of Jimi's well documented fame as a player and innovator before his death, as well as after. Something that is undeniable no matter what opinion the author holds about Jimi's playing, innovation and/or contribution.

Well said.

Oh, this thread made me laugh. I'm wearing a Hendrix shirt. But anyways, you shouldn't put down other musicians, man! Music is music and no one can change it. Everyone has their own preference, and I do believe Jimmy was a good guitarist but not "the greatest" or "Horrible" It's all opinions here.

Oh, this thread made me laugh. I'm wearing a Hendrix shirt. But anyways, you shouldn't put down other musicians, man! Music is music and no one can change it. Everyone has their own preference, and I do believe Jimmy was a good guitarist but not "the greatest" or "Horrible" It's all opinions here.

Oh, quit being so diplomatic Cameron!! Take a stand and tick somebody off!

Archived