Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny B Goode in A

Rocky4

When you play Chuck Berry style R and R in A, when you go to the D, do you go to the 5th fret on the A string or 10th fret on the E string?

...and why?.......just wondering......

Ah! That's a good question. I myself have played it both ways. I'm not sure if there's really a right way of playing it. After all, is Rock 'n' Roll

we're talking about. I guess it really depends on the sound you're going for. The thicker strings up in the D position (10th fret 6th string) would have a

ballsier sound than the D in the 5th position on the 5th string. I guess the only way to know how Chuck Berry played it would be to try to find a video

of it on You-Tube. I'm sure in the day when Keith Richards was trying to cop Chuck's lick he was scratching his head saying the same thing (WTF?). Sometimes

it also matters where your coming from or going to, however you want to look at it. [confused]

I go to the A string, usually. Just out of habit, I guess. Never really thought about it?

But..."Johnny B Goode" was written in B-flat. Not that it matters. [biggrin]

You're correct there, XDemonknight. When I was copping the song I realized Chuck was really playing it in B-flat, as you say. Most Rock 'n' Rollers

play it in A-Major, though. Playing leads in flat keys is almost as tough on Guitar as it is on Keyboard (those Black Keys). [wink]

I've only ever played it in B flat. :-" But I've tried the equivalent of both fingerings, and I'd have to say that the 5th/6th fret A string thing sounds more CB to me. The 10th/11th fret E string business has the potential to sound very Status Quo because it's so fat. But of course their sound may just be coming from those large Marshalls.

But..."Johnny B Goode" was written in B-flat.

I think Chuck actually usually plays it in "C", but either way......

That's because the main songwriter of many of Chuck's early songs was the piano player, Johnnie Johnson, so they're written in "piano" keys. Johnnie never got credit, or payment, for his early contributions to Chuck's hits, and in fact tried to get cash and credit (in court) up until the time he died a few years ago.

Back on topic: The way I've seen Chuck play it (in "C") is a barre "C" at the third fret for the 1-chord (A string root), barre "F" at the first fret for the 4-chord (E string root), and barre "G" at the third fret for the 5-chord (E string root). The lick and solo is minor pentatonic at the eighth fret.

So adjust accordingly for Bb, but the open "A" will not give you the same type of sound as the barre "F" at the first fret. This "A" string root fingering will not work at all in the key of "A", and you pretty much have to start at the fifth fret (with the "E" string root).

PS: I too always played it in "A" and would move up the neck using the "E" string root for the 4 and 5 chords, with the lick and solo at the fifth fret. This seems to have become the typical "bar band" method.

I used to do it in B, but that's just not a good key for my voice, so I tend to do it an A as well. As for the topic question I play the IV chord (D in this case) on the A string the first time through, then the E string second time through, then on the third verse (after the solo) through I'll grab the D and G string at the 7th fret and do it kinda like Keith Richards would.

Another important Johnny B. Goode question would be, "Do you treat the double stops in the intro differently than the double stops leading into the solo?"

I see so many guitarists (on stage in the clubs) play the Song Intro exactly like the Solo Intro and it Bugs the Heck outs me! [cursing]

...then on the third verse (after the solo) through I'll grab the D and G string at the 7th fret and do it kinda like Keith Richards would. (edit by Paul...

I just love the way Keith Richards does that)

Another important Johnny B. Goode question would be, "Do you treat the double stops in the intro differently than the double stops leading into the solo?"

I see so many guitarists (on stage in the clubs) play the Song Intro exactly like the Solo Intro and it Bugs the Heck outs me! [cursing]

I know what you mean by that. When I sat down to cop it off the record, I noticed there was a difference between intro verses the solo. A lot of

guys never take the time to work on that. They think it's all the same.

I used to do it in B, but that's just not a good key for my voice, so I tend to do it an A as well. As for the topic question I play the IV chord (D in this case) on the A string the first time through, then the E string second time through, then on the third verse (after the solo) through I'll grab the D and G string at the 7th fret and do it kinda like Keith Richards would.

You've got a good set of ears there!

But to my ears there is a clear rhythmic difference, all to do with accent and the grouping of the notes. The double-stops bar of the intro is composed of two sets of triplets and a pair of straight quavers, whereas its counterpart in the solo is all straight eights (four double-stopped quavers, followed by another four straight eights going down the scale). I dread to think what the versions you've been hearing sound like. Do those guitarists play with a lot of distorsion?

But to my ears there is a clear rhythmic difference, all to do with accent and the grouping of the notes. The double-stops bar of the intro is composed of two sets of triplets and a pair of straight quavers, whereas its counterpart in the solo is all straight eights (four double-stopped quavers, followed by another four straight eights going down the scale). I dread to think what the versions you've been hearing sound like. Do those guitarists play with a lot of distorsion?

Usually, yes. Most guys I've heard (and I mean Bar Band stuff) do it the lazy way use a lot of distortion or other effects. So much that that Staccato is out of the question. Delay and sloppy distortion just kill that sort of dynamic playing.

It's not just the count, the fingerings are slightly different, too. The intro is Fifth/Root on the high strings then changes to a Root/Third on the D and G string. The intro is all Fifth/Root on the high strings (then the run down the scale of course). I understand that a lot of people treat it like a traditional jam, and that's ok. But the audience reacts so much better when the Intro is spot on, the dance floor gets crowded a lot quicker.

Archived