Gibson Brands Forums

I DO NOT like breaking strings

Shnate McDuanus

I have a gig today, so I don't have time to read all the responses, so pardon me if I repeat what has already been posted.

I change my strings once a month. If I wasn't gigging, I might go two months, but no longer. A year on a set of strings is much too long. If you are playing your guitar regularly, two months is max.

I use D'Addario strings for three reasons (1) I like the way the sound and (2) I like the environmentally friendly packaging and (3) the packaging also keeps them from corroding before I put them on (I live in a damp environment).

Notes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a gig today, so I don't have time to read all the responses, so pardon me if I repeat what has already been posted.

I change my strings once a month. If I wasn't gigging, I might go two months, but no longer. A year on a set of strings is much too long. If you are playing your guitar regularly, two months is max.

For the last time, I have NEVER gone this long without changing strings before. Why doesn't anyone seem to get this? I'm not asking for lectures on how often to replace strings--I already know all of this stuff, but there were extenuating circumstances involved. That's not what the point of my post was.

I use D'Addario strings for three reasons (1) I like the way the sound and (2) I like the environmentally friendly packaging and (3) the packaging also keeps them from corroding before I put them on (I live in a damp environment).

Notes

Well, good for you, and good for D'Addario strings, and good for the state of Florida. This thread is done, as far as I'm concerned, since nobody can give me a straight recommendation without getting on my case about something that, time and again, I have explained that I already understand. One year is too long to go with the same set of strings. I know, I know, I KNOW.

Hey, I'm not kidding... try Elixirs. If your technique does not include hard picking on the wrapped strings, they do well. I've had exceptional luck with them. When not Elixir at this point in time mostly I've worn Ernies, especially on the SG with 8-38s.

The DR Zebras 9-42 work quite well on the AE guitars.

Classical... I almost hate to admit this but the last dozen years or so, any name brand that is inexpensive will go onto the mid 1970s AE Ovation Country Artist.

m

Hey, I'm not kidding... try Elixirs. If your technique does not include hard picking on the wrapped strings, they do well. I've had exceptional luck with them. When not Elixir at this point in time mostly I've worn Ernies, especially on the SG with 8-38s.

The DR Zebras 9-42 work quite well on the AE guitars.

Classical... I almost hate to admit this but the last dozen years or so, any name brand that is inexpensive will go onto the mid 1970s AE Ovation Country Artist.

m

Well, I may as well try out a set of Elixirs.

Although...the EBs are cheaper, and I am pretty much dirt poor.

Hey, Ernies are cool...

I keep three or four sets of 'em on hand most of the time, 2 for backup on the SG, 1 each for the 175 and 1 for the Dot; but that's also behind an extra set of Elixirs for the Dot and 175. But getting strings for me always is "mail order" so I keep more on hand.

If you're gentle on the Elixirs, they do last two to three times longer than Ernies, so in ways that's economical. OTOH, I've been there and $4-$5 bucks can be the decision 'stedda $10.

m

I haven't broke a string in 5 years or so years. I use Ernie Balls but before that I used Gibson,dean markley's and D'Arrio (sp?)...I'd suggest a guitar setup and it could be technique too. I do remember I had an Ibanez that liked to cough out strings a few years back. I took it in and had a proper setup done on it. It was a misaligned bridge that was causing it.

I try to stay on the light side of picking too, I've always been a light player. Picking and bending lightly may make the difference.

Archived