Gibson Brands Forums

Tube Amp Hunt

guitargreg1993

Hey everyone, my search for a tube amp has been narrowed down to a few different choices:

-Jet City JCA20

-Peavey Classic 30

The advantages of the Jet City are that it is a bit cheaper (I can get the head and 2x12 cab for $500 as opposed to around $600 for the Classic 30), it sounds awesome when overdriven, has eminence speakers (peavey uses their own speakers, which im not sure how they compare to celestion, eminence, etc.) and it is a head instead of combo so it's more versatile in terms of speaker cab configuration and stuff.

The advantages of the Classic 30 is that it's a little more powerful for gigging (30 watts vs. 20 - not that much more but still a lil more), it's made in the US (Jet City is made overseas), it has a SUPERIOR clean tone (very warm fender-like tweed clean, beautiful sound), it has real spring reverb (Jet city has no reverb), the overdrive is more versatile (has pre- and post- gain knobs instead of single gain + master vol) although not as much gain on tap but the tube distortion is still pretty good sounding (and i think it has enough gain for what I play), and one of the salesmen at a music store told me that "the classic 30 fits my playing style like a glove" (which i agree with but im not sure if he really meant it or was just trying to sell me the amp).

Either way, I love the sound of both amps. Both are around the same amount of power, both are pretty flexible meaning soft enough for home use but powerful enough for small gigs (which is exactly what I want), and both are 12ax7 and EL-84 based /w/ a solid state rect. I just wish I had enough money to buy both and play them in stereo, the classic 30 set just to the point of break up and the jet city cranking out some nasty tube distortion [thumbup] but unfortunately, i can only buy one... I'm leaning more towards the Classic 30 because I love the clean sound and it would allow me to support Great Lakes Music rather than feeding my money to a giant internet retailer. But I can't make a decision because I love the sound of the Jet City too...

I think what I gotta do is play both of them again next weekend, then I'll try to make a decision (maybe if possible play both of them side-by-side, but I've never seen a Classic 30 at the Guitar Center by me [unsure] ). But either way I'm pretty positive I'll end up with a great sounding amp that I love [biggrin]

**I still would like to try out the Bugera V55 Head but I can't find anywhere where they have one!! ughhh [cursing]

If you are talking about cleans, the Jet City barely as any IMO. Great if you want to do heavy or hard rock/metal, but the cleans are definitely lacking. I would go for the Peavey, it allows you to use pedals to change your sound especially since you already stated you like the cleans.

Hope this helps

If you are talking about cleans, the Jet City barely as any IMO. Great if you want to do heavy or hard rock/metal, but the cleans are definitely lacking. I would go for the Peavey, it allows you to use pedals to change your sound especially since you already stated you like the cleans.

Hope this helps

I totally agree. When I tried the jet it out it didnt have any headroom. Thats why I went with the blackheart.

The advantages of the Jet City are that it is a bit cheaper (I can get the head and 2x12 cab for $500 as opposed to around $600 for the Classic 30), it sounds awesome when overdriven, has eminence speakers (peavey uses their own speakers, which im not sure how they compare to celestion, eminence, etc.) and it is a head instead of combo so it's more versatile in terms of speaker cab configuration and stuff.

You can get the head and 112 for $319. This is the old version with no reverb and no effects loop however.

The advantages of the Classic 30 is that it's a little more powerful for gigging (30 watts vs. 20 - not that much more but still a lil more), it's made in the US (Jet City is made overseas), it has a SUPERIOR clean tone (very warm fender-like tweed clean, beautiful sound), it has real spring reverb (Jet city has no reverb), the overdrive is more versatile (has pre- and post- gain knobs instead of single gain + master vol) although not as much gain on tap but the tube distortion is still pretty good sounding (and i think it has enough gain for what I play), and one of the salesmen at a music store told me that "the classic 30 fits my playing style like a glove" (which i agree with but im not sure if he really meant it or was just trying to sell me the amp).

New JCA20's have reverb. They also come with an effects loop. The cleans on the JCA are pathetic compared to a Fender (obviously). For dirty tones, its very versatile

I can't argue with the US vs Overseas construction point, but the construction of it is extremely solid, with non void ply.

The things I don't like is that the tolex material that they use feels cheaper to me compared to the other amps I've had. Also, the handles are strong but I don't fully trust them.

On the basis of cleans alone, I would go for the Peavey. You can always fix weak distortion, but a weak clean tone is a weak clean tone and that's about it. As it is, I think the cleans on the Peavey Classics are better than on some of the new Fender reissues.

I think that if you're looking for low-gain or not-too-high-gain, the Peavey is perfect for you.

OH! Also, not to make things harder for you, but have you looked at the Carvin Vintage series? Buying direct they're only a bit more of a stretch out of your price range, and I think you'd really love something like a Nomad or a Belair.

Peavey. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

The Peavey Classic 30 is everything you need right now. Great clean tones are what you want. You can always put a pedal in front of it for any gain you're looking for.

I've owned and played through a lot of Peavey amps. The Classic will not let you down.

Good luck with your decision.

A Peavey Classic was my first tube amp, and I still own it...I bought it used for 230.00$ and everything was original including the tubes..( I believe it was late 80 early 90's version). I remember striking my first chord and just sitting there loving that sound of tubey goodness.....Great amp..it survived a complete coffee drench and still has the same tubes and speaker that got soaked with coffee...still sounds the exact same, all I had to do was replace a fuse..so I'm still amazed by the quality of it..as said works great with pedals, and its built in OD channel and Reverb are great...I' also prefer class AB then Class A. I doubt I'll ever sell my Peavey...Great AMERICAN made amp. [thumbup]

My first "real" amp was a peavey classic - although it was made in 1979 and I bought it that same year.

Another advantage of the classic over the jet is the fact that the classic IS a combo.

When I had that combo and others I always wished I had a head unit with a cab ~ for one it just plain looks cooler. Now, that is all I currently have and when I go to practice or a gig I have to carry the head, cabinet, guitar(s) pedal board. That doesn't sound like much, but I don't like making multiple trips lugging an amp around.

Archived