Gibson Brands Forums

Any cyclists here?

Lungimsam

Just curious. With March coming in a few weeks now, I'll be back in the saddle trying to shed my winter girth (gained 10 lbs.).

Nothing like listening to Jefferson Airplane while cruising through '60's era 'hoods in my area in springtime weather. Can't wait!

I biked from Boston to Seattle, from Boston to Quebec City and back.........Long time ago.........

I haven't biked in several years.........Bike was stolen, more geetars come first.....

I swim miles each week ( not in four months, but, starting again soon )......

My wife and I are lucky to live in great climate so we cycle every weekend. Went 25 miles yesterday. Just have to watch out for cars with attitude. It's an everyday concern on a bike. Can't listen to music whilst riding. Too dangerous out here.

Truly love it though. I hope you have a great spring of riding!

I used to go about 30 miles every other day when I lived in Texas 10 years ago. Spring up here doesn't get going until late March but I'll be starting up again then. It'll take a while to get to 30 miles (seems like it takes longer with each passing year).

In my youth cycling and badminton were my two sporting passions.

When I was in my mid teens I joined the 'Cyclist's Touring Club' - the UK's national touring club - which had a branch in my hometown in central Scotland.

From there I also became a member of two racing clubs. It got to the point where, after I got home from school, I was competing in short time-trial races, held locally, on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Wednesdays I was out for the CTC's 'Wednesday-night Run' - which was a short 35-mile or so tour; Friday evening was Club Night where we all got together to plan our 'Weekenders' which were typically an 80-mile run to a youth hostel on the Saturday with the return trip on the Sunday. In this manner I was fortunate enough to explore a large part of Scotland - the prettiest bits - from the saddle of a bicycle mixed-in with great company; surely just about the most satisfying of options?

The only day of the week I wasn't involved with one cycling club or other was Monday. On Mondays I played League badminton for my school - both as a pupil and, afterwards, for the F.P. (former pupil) team. Oh to be even half as fit as that nowadays...lol!

I still have my #1 race bike - a 1976 Holdsworth 'Team Professional' with Campag Record Strada hardware throughout - and it gets the occasional airing but as I now live in London and have a wife and a 6 year-old daughter things are not quite as simplistic as they were back in the mists of time...

P.

I've got an Electra Townie that I ride in fair weather. It's not hard to put in five miles on paved surfaces, but it is entirely possible (probable) to get upside-down when riding off road...

I also have a Cat-Eye computer thingy - I've got about 600 miles on in the past couple of years. I guess that means that I use it a fair amount.

I can't imagine riding a real modern road racer kind of bike - they're way spendy and I'm quite sure that I'd kill myself on those skinny tires.

proud owner of a converted 83 peugeot 12 speed.

original Rigida rims relaced with new hubs, small flange front and single BMX rear w/ACS fat freewheel.

1/2 x 3/16 Freestyle chain.

San Marco Racing Saddle Kore straight bars trimmed 3 inches on either end

Oury grips, Origin 8 crank set, and track pedals with clips.

all in lime green(frame,fork, and pedals) black(bars and cranks), and white(bar plugs, and cable covers)

Ratio:46t in front 16 rear.

Conti gator skins for shoes

original Wienmann brakes w/Conti salmon pads.

I have a Peugeot. Bought it back in the '80's used. It was in the basement of a bicycle shop. Someone had tried to push a parked car with it and slightly bent the frame and forks. I couldn't afford a better bike, so the owner scrounged around his basement and found it. I probably spent another hundred on replacement parts, new seat, tires and tubes, Shimano shifters. Even had fenders on it for a while. It's currently hanging in my basement. In my old age, I prefer the softness of 2" tires over the 1"x27". I do like it's light weightedness. [thumbup]

I have a Cannondale that's a few years old now but I still love it. The spring I bought it, I faithfully rode 20 miles at least 4 times a week through the fall and along with a proper diet I lost 50 pounds. I looked like a new person by Thanksgiving.

CannondaleF700.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Used to mountain bike quite a bit. I know mountain biking in Florida, right.

But we lived right next to a decent set of trails in the middle of the state.

Since moving to the coast it's all flat and sandy. It's beach cruising only

for me anymore.

A friend's son is studying circus skills

He is quite good on a unicycle

I suggested he

1. Learnt to juggle whilst riding the unicycle too hard

2. Learnt to play guitar whilst riding the unicycle also too hard, I can barely play the guitar sitting.

V.....Alternative Lifestyle Guru

:-({|=

Archived