Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker sized P90

EVOL!

I am thinking about doing some mods on my SG Special, specifically to get some single coil-ish tones out of her that work better with my FuzzFactory. Right now I have a 57+ in the bridge and I am looking at putting a humbucker sized P90 in there and moving the 57+ to the neck; replacing the stock 490 I left there.

Anyone recommend some P90s to look at? I see Gibson has the P94 and Seymour Duncan has the Phat Cat SPH90-1. Seems like the P94 has mixed reviews, but that could be bias based on the type of music. Me? I play a lot of cleans, some dirty with my OD808, and I freak on the squares with my FuzzFactory. So no distortion or master volume on my amp.

Also, regarding pots, Seymour Duncan recommends 500k pots. I would think SG Specials have 250k pots. Is the tone that much brighter with 500k volume pots?

I'd go with the P94, that's what I've been primarily looking at. To me, they sound better than the Phat Cats

How so? Hotter? Brighter with more P90 bite? Smoother? Inquiring minds want to know!

And now I am thinking of putting the P90 in the neck position instead. Man, so many choices.

How so? Hotter? Brighter with more P90 bite? Smoother? Inquiring minds want to know!

And now I am thinking of putting the P90 in the neck position instead. Man, so many choices.

It just sounds more P90-ish than the Phat Cat. not sure how to describe it.

I would put it in the neck position, told you my set up will be a P94 in the neck and a powertron plus in the bridge [drool]

Also, regarding pots, Seymour Duncan recommends 500k pots. I would think SG Specials have 250k pots. Is the tone that much brighter with 500k volume pots?

Your SG Special probably has 300K pots on the volume and 500K on the tone.

500K pots all around will give a more noticeable bite/treble.

Depends what alnico magnets you get on your pickup, if you get alnico 5 which is brighter you may not need 500k pots, alnico 2 magnets probably would benefit from 500K pots.

Decided I am going to go with the p94 in the neck.

I have a totally noob question - what are the differences between the P94T (bridge) & P94R (neck) pickups? Are the neck ones (P95R) warmer? Would it be bad to put a P94T in the neck?

My understanding is that the bridge pickups are higher output because the sound from the strings is weaker at the bridge than it is where the neck pickup goes.

Know how you're always saying to man up and screw the bigsby on instead of the vibramate? I think you should man up and route that baby out for a real p90. Just sayin.

By the way the Fuzz Factory sounds way better with single coils. You're making a wise decision.

My understanding is that the bridge pickups are higher output because the sound from the strings is weaker at the bridge than it is where the neck pickup goes.

Know how you're always saying to man up and screw the bigsby on instead of the vibramate? I think you should man up and route that baby out for a real p90. Just sayin.

By the way the Fuzz Factory sounds way better with single coils. You're making a wise decision.

I have to agree here especially since it is a batwing pickguard, it'll cover the routing and also, real P90s look way better IMO

And a lot of fuzzes sound way better with single coils To me

I have a totally noob question - what are the differences between the P94T (bridge) & P94R (neck) pickups? Are the neck ones (P95R) warmer? Would it be bad to put a P94T in the neck?

They are wound oppositely so when used in pairs the P90 hum is diminished. The T is a std wind, the R is reverse.

I like the 94 in the neck too - BBpro bridge, P94R neck -

LP-PT94-BBPsm.jpg

They are wound oppositely so when used in pairs the P90 hum is diminished. The T is a std wind, the R is reverse.

I like the 94 in the neck too - BBpro bridge, P94R neck -

LP-PT94-BBPsm.jpg

Very nice. This is what I am going for. Over the past year I gave grown to hate that 490R in the neck position. I simply have zero use for it. A P94 would be just what I need to mix up my sound. The problem is finding the cheapest P94R in black/chrome. Does not seem like a lot of people keep them in stock.

And I appreciate people trying to keep me honest by routing out my SG and making her 100% P90s, but after listening to some demos from last year I am rekindling the tonal love I have for that 57+ in the bridge. A P94 will be more than fine in the neck position.

One of the biggest factors in determining the sound of a pickup is the size and shape of the magnet wire coil in relation to that magnetic field. This is particularly true in the case of the huge bobbin of the P-90 single coil. The P-90 coil is physically bigger than the outer dimensions of the humbucker foot print. So for this reason you can't really have a humbucker size P-90. Not that the P-94 doesn't sound great. But it's not exactly a P-90.

If you MUST go with a p94, black looks better. Before you plop down the money on Gibson p94s look at GFS Mean 90s. They are waaay cheaper.

Could only find them on ebay and I do not have an account. [sad]

If you really want one and eBay is the only way you can do it I have an eBay account and I can help you.

It is kindof a pain in the *** to sign up for eBay.

Thanks, but I am going to go with the Gibson. Listened to a few more demos on YouTube and that sealed the deal.

Archived