Gibson Brands Forums

What are you reading now?

EVOL!

Time for another what are you reading now? post.

Me? I am about an eighth into Turn On Your Mind: Four Decades of Great Psychedelic Rock by Jim DeRogatis. While some of the info is a little silly (trying to talk about psych and the Rolling Stones for four pages?), DeRogatis is a great writer and rock journalist. Like Greg Kot his very readable writing style trumps his opinions.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides textbooks on ethics, astronomy and Spanish?

Emile Zola's Germinal, ironically enough translated by a guy named Peter Collier (ironic because the book's about coal-miners, and, well...I'm sure you can figure it out.) It's a brilliant translation of what's clearly a brilliant novel. It draws upon the real experiences of coal miners and in doing so provides a gripping and deeply moving study on the true human cost of industrialization, circa 1860. There's also a very touching (and somewhat naughty, by today's standards) love story involved. The characters are uncannily believable and, to its credit, some of the material in the novel is enough to make the reader truly sick. I highly recommend it.

1984 by George Orwell. Good book

When you're done with 1984, I highly recommend Jack London's The Iron Heel and Yevgeny Zamyatin's We. They're both dystopian novels in a similar vein to 1984, but both of them have several interesting considerations from ideological and literary perspectives. You might also want to take a look at Huxley's Brave New World if you haven't already. If you choose to look at any of Ayn Rand's work, though, take it with a heaping handful of salt. Her work has a tendency to turn smart, otherwise-rational people into irrational Objectivist ideologues, if their minds are malleable enough.

When you're done with 1984, I highly recommend Jack London's The Iron Heel and Yevgeny Zamyatin's We. They're both dystopian novels in a similar vein to 1984, but both of them have several interesting considerations from ideological and literary perspectives. You might also want to take a look at Huxley's Brave New World if you haven't already. If you choose to look at any of Ayn Rand's work, though, take it with a heaping handful of salt. Her work has a tendency to turn smart, otherwise-rational people into irrational Objectivist ideologues, if their minds are malleable enough.

Already did Brave New World, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I miss reading as much as I did, I hardly have time for it. Although, I did get a Kindle so that's more "kindling" to help light the fire, pun very intended [biggrin]

I enjoy biographies (nosey git) and have gone through 7 since just before xmas.

They have been Stephen Fry, Brian Johnson, Dave Mustaine, Nikki Sixx, Joanna Lumley, Charlie Kray & Keith Richards.

Enjoyed them all but am now sick to death of reading about drug use & smack heads. Any recommendation's?

Already did Brave New World, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I miss reading as much as I did, I hardly have time for it. Although, I did get a Kindle so that's more "kindling" to help light the fire, pun very intended [biggrin]

How about Animal Farm by Orwell?

I belong to the SF/Fantasy discussion group at my library and this month we're reading 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke.

I belong to the SF/Fantasy discussion group at my library and this month we're reading 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke.

I've read it multiple times, still a great book. Orwell is one of my favorite writers along with Kurt Vonnegut

I've read it multiple times, still a great book. Orwell is one of my favorite writers along with Kurt Vonnegut

Just Finished Bob Taylor's "Guitar Lessons". Wish it had more guitar building content, but an interesting read none the less. Nice to read about the story behind the guitars, and then pick mine up and play around a bit.

I just picked up this:

book-popup.jpg

Looking forward to it!

If you choose to look at any of Ayn Rand's work, though, take it with a heaping handful of salt. Her work has a tendency to turn smart, otherwise-rational people into irrational Objectivist ideologues, if their minds are malleable enough.

Just make sure you read Anthem. Sure, it's heavy-handed, but it's gotta be the best 95 or so pages of dystopian fiction ever.

(The fact that so many Rush songs were inspired by it is merely a rock and roll bonus!) [biggrin]

If you like Anthem (and managed to resist the threat of becoming an irrational objectivist idealouge) read The Fountainhead next. Probably my favorite novel.

I tend to read multiple books at one time, but usually only one book of a given type. Some of the

non-fiction stuff I peck away at slowly (like the Beatles Gear book I've had for a year!) [biggrin]

I'm currently reading...

Beatles Gear: All the Fab Four's Instruments, from Stage to Studio

The Best-Loved Short Stories of Jesse Stuart

Get Real: What Kind of World are YOU Buying?

The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry

Strange Brew: Eric Clapton and the British Blues Boom: 1965-1970

A Visit from the Goon Squad

Archived