Gibson Brands Forums

Danelectro 59

LarryUK

I have one of the ones with the modified factory fitted Page type tailpieces and stacked knobs which was a little more expensive. Not a bad guitar for nailing the Kashmir type sounds. Jangly type sounds from it. I have it set to a DADGAD tuning and use it for some zep/slide type stuff. Due to the nature of the material it is made from (glorified MDF), it is very light. Scratchplate can be a little delicate when pulling in/out lead. Need to be careful knobs and all don't come with you when disconnecting.

I think its ok once you remember what it is. Not something you would be trashing too hard, but something different from the norm.

Frequently available on E-bay. I got one for £120 a couple of years ago. It is better built than the originals with an adjustable bridge (The originals weren't adjustable)but I don't like the "aged look" they gave it. I bought it for tone however and play slide with a highish action.

I also have the 12 stringer which I love. Not as robust as a rickenbacker but a fraction of the cost and a great vibe. That one is shiny!

Have a baritone also but that's a whole different story.................................

That movie (It Might Get Loud) was incredible!

Really cool guitars.

Check out Jerry Jones

BINGO! [thumbup]

I have a Korean-made one from the late nineties - very cool for the money.

I put the "Pro" bridge on it for intonation.

Can't speak for the new Chinese-made ones, because I refuse to buy Chinese guitars on principle.

I've got the 12-string version of one of these, as well as a 1998 56 U2 which is a single cutaway model. As others have said, these are what they are, but they're pretty cool, and the lipstick pickups produce pretty cool tone. I couldn't have touched another 12-string for the price I paid for the DC 12, and, while it's not a Rickenbacker, I think it's a pretty good value and produces some pretty good jangle, particularly with a little compression.

i hope i still have it, i am lucky to have a grey to black burst reissue, one of the first ones before they made the fancy bridge and such. works GREAT for slide tones (altho i am no slide player, i suck at it). the series wiring of the pups are cool. while the tone and playability is no where near as good as most axes, i have to say playing it and getting tone from it is fun, way fun actually.

Here's a little more info....

• 1959 Danelectro 3021 AKA 59-DC (tuned to DADGAD and used live for "White Summer", "Black Mountain Side", "Kashmir", and "Midnight Moonlight" with The Firm).
  • Danelectro 3021 (tuned to open G and used on the Outrider tour for "In My Time Of Dying". This one has a smaller pickguard, as opposed to the large "seal" pickguard on his first Danelectro.

I've played the Jerry Jones ones. I don't dislike them but I don't think they're great/ worth it. You might as well just get the cheap Dano. IMO you don't buy a Dano because you want a high quality guitar. A big part of the lure (for me at least) is the cheapness. The JJs are like an oxy moron or something.

Neo I seriously want that pink Dano. I would definately not be afraid to buy one cheap and paint it some hideous color though. I want one of the baritones. The "Longhorn" bass is sweet too. It makes me think of Jack Bruce.

I've played the Jerry Jones ones. I don't dislike them but I don't think they're great/ worth it. You might as well just get the cheap Dano. IMO you don't buy a Dano because you want a high quality guitar. A big part of the lure (for me at least) is the cheapness. The JJs are like an oxy moron or something.

Good point. I think the JJ's cost around the same as an original Dano

I find the Danelectro story kind of fascinating...The company originally was used to produce amps for...Sears and Roebuck. But they have always produced cheap guitars...which doesn't mean crappy, although you certainly could argue their build quality was not as good as, say, Fender or Gibson. Still, Page's Danelectro solo below is a quintessential rock solo and very unique, especially for the time...what a great sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrvfMSYNqBg

Archived