Gibson Brands Forums

should i get the IPHONE4 ?

S t e v e

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve, I am your mate when it comes to this stuff.

iPhone IF - You use a mac, or macbook at home, prefer iTunes, don't rely on email day to day, want a great web browser experience, like the apps available

Android (HTC Desire HD, or Galaxy S Vibrant if possible) Great open sourced platform so anyone can make apps for it, powerful google backing and apps, many if not most of the most popular iPhone apps have been made available on the Android platform, and if you use google services like youtube, gmail etc

Blackberry IF, you want tried tested and true reliability, this is essentially a business tool with a bit of flare for fun with new apps they're adding all the time. Blackberry messenger, email, text, calling and everyday phone uses are still very easy on the blackberry.

Right now, I've got about 12 or so phones in the stable and my main two are my personal Blackberry and the HTC Desire HD from Work. The Desire HD just feels like a solid phone and is a crazy multimedia power house, has an 8 mp camera as opposed to 5mp which seems to be industry standard right now, and a brilliant screen.

If you want to know more, pm me Steve!

Cheers,

Steve, I am your mate when it comes to this stuff.

iPhone IF - You use a mac, or macbook at home, prefer iTunes, don't rely on email day to day, want a great web browser experience, like the apps available

Android (HTC Desire HD, or Galaxy S Vibrant if possible) Great open sourced platform so anyone can make apps for it, powerful google backing and apps, many if not most of the most popular iPhone apps have been made available on the Android platform, and if you use google services like youtube, gmail etc

Blackberry IF, you want tried tested and true reliability, this is essentially a business tool with a bit of flare for fun with new apps they're adding all the time. Blackberry messenger, email, text, calling and everyday phone uses are still very easy on the blackberry.

Right now, I've got about 12 or so phones in the stable and my main two are my personal Blackberry and the HTC Desire HD from Work. The Desire HD just feels like a solid phone and is a crazy multimedia power house, has an 8 mp camera as opposed to 5mp which seems to be industry standard right now, and a brilliant screen.

If you want to know more, pm me Steve!

Cheers,

cheers!, that desire HD does look good on paper :-k

It looks even better in person. The only downside is that the 4.3 inch screen is a battery hog, but if you're using it at home/work/school you're never far from a power source. I'd say a good usage will get you a day from wake up to bedtime before you have to charge again unless you're watching lots of videos or doing lots of GPS.

I'd day Blackberry,with an international data plan so we can text Steve [flapper]

Anyone who downloads the free app "Whatsapp" messenger can message cross platform (blackberry-iphone-android) internationally at no charge, it's like blackberry messenger for multiple devices!

Anyone who downloads the free app "Whatsapp" messenger can message cross platform (blackberry-iphone-android) internationally at no charge, it's like blackberry messenger for multiple devices!

wow learn something new everyday..thanks

Also also, on BBM when you're in your home country there are no international rates for BBM's. So if you live in Canada and Steve in England and you are on eachother's blackberry messenger there's no charge to msg eachother, it's only SMS or text messaging that incurs international fees.

The iPhone wins hands down. My son had the Blackberry and sold it. The iPhone has the better screen and it's so useable. I'd say find some mates with the phones you like and try them. iPhone 5 soon as well.

The iPhone doesn't "win". If there was a clear winner Android wouldn't be over taking apple in new activations. The reality, like guitars is different animals for different tasks, etc. As i mentioned the iPhone has strengths and so does the blackberry and so does the Android.

Swleary, as I mentioned the data plan has to be domestic, so if you're messaging from your home area to anywhere else in the world it's included for you. If you go outside of your own country you are subject to international data rates, yes.

I love my iPhone 4. Real nice and feels great on the hands. On a regular day with decent usage,

I'll go as low as 60%, never less. They've also got some really nice cases AND you can change

the back housing of the phone to a different design! Great camera too!

41899.jpg

I love my iPhone 4. Real nice and feels great on the hands. On a regular day with decent usage,

I'll go as low as 60%, never less. They've also got some really nice cases AND you can change

the back housing of the phone to a different design! Great camera too!

41899.jpg

Pretty sure that voids the warranty, good luck though!

My wife and got our two i phone 4's got over the weekend and we are over the moon with them! So a biased yes, get the iphone!

It syncs up with the i mac and the ease of use and little things I keep discovering remind me of why I love Apple so much!

£40 a month covers unlimited texts, calls and internet access too. I have some excellent geeky apps including a solar system one; where I can track comets and see constellations with their names etc. all I have to do is hold it to the sky....AWESOME!!! msp_biggrin.gif

Matt

iphone 4 is cool I have one and upgraded from the 3G. Better when Jailbroken... Blackberry's are good work tools I have one of them too ( paid by company) IMO - Android HTC seems to be the more "open" option for mifi and apps etc... I would have gone that route but since I am the video dude at work I needed to have something we are currently implementing globally....

my 2 C's

The iPhone doesn't "win". If there was a clear winner Android wouldn't be over taking apple in new activations. The reality, like guitars is different animals for different tasks, etc. As i mentioned the iPhone has strengths and so does the blackberry and so does the Android.

Swleary, as I mentioned the data plan has to be domestic, so if you're messaging from your home area to anywhere else in the world it's included for you. If you go outside of your own country you are subject to international data rates, yes.

I absolutely LOVE my IPhone, no way would I consider anything else currently on the market.

I take it your not a fan Brandon, I've noticed you always suggest something else?

It's not that I'm not a fan it's just that where I work my entire job is to know these phones inside and out for User interfaces (UI's), I've used them all and I said lots of good things about the iPhone in many posts. It's when it turns into the iPhone=best phone I get tired of hearing it. There is no best phone, only what phone is best for you.

The iPhone is the easiest to use out of the box, no question.

Blackberry is better at messaging and email

Android took what everyone liked about the other two power houses and made an easily updatable OS to compete. Yes they're overtaking in new activations based on the availability to any platform willing to sign up, but isn't that a good thing?

Having three major platforms with thousands of apps being developed can only mean positive results in the end for the consumer, it keeps any one platform from getting complacent and stagnating.

Blackberry has fallen behind only in the sense that once they found a formula that worked for them they stuck with it and they responded to the iPhone and Android too late. Now they've gone from being the innovator to playing catch up. The Torch is an example of the competition in the market I mentioned.

I'm not going to actively discourage anyone from getting the iPhone because it works for lots and lots of people, I just don't want people getting the iPhone for the sake of getting the iPhone. There are other options out there and you should explore what's right for you.

Like I said, I have and use all the platforms, I love things about each one but there is no one clear "winner" at least not in anytime in the near future.

For those who took the time to read through this whole thing here is a bonus iPhone tip for those who lose their phones or have young ones that hide them;

Once you've got a registered iTunes account, go into "Settings" then Account, Mail and Settings, then Add new account. Click on the "Mobile Me" and input your iTunes user name and password.

What this does is registers you for a premium free service from Apple's Mobile Me "Find my iPhone". After you've signed up and confirmed your email turn it on and using the Mobile Me website you can log in and position your iPhone on a map, force it to make a sound if you can't find it in the house, or wipe the information remotely if you know you're not going to get it back.

/rant

Sorry Folks that was a big one.

I only have one phone, the iPhone 4, so I can't speak to the quality of the others

that have been mentioned. However, I can say I love the iPhone. It does exactly

what I need it to do and does it well. The wife and I both have them. We had the

1st gen. iPhones until last summer when we upgraded. Now the kids use the old ones

as iPod touches. That's like a two-fer. [biggrin]

For those who took the time to read through this whole thing here is a bonus iPhone tip for those who lose their phones or have young ones that hide them;

Once you've got a registered iTunes account, go into "Settings" then Account, Mail and Settings, then Add new account. Click on the "Mobile Me" and input your iTunes user name and password.

What this does is registers you for a premium free service from Apple's Mobile Me "Find my iPhone". After you've signed up and confirmed your email turn it on and using the Mobile Me website you can log in and position your iPhone on a map, force it to make a sound if you can't find it in the house, or wipe the information remotely if you know you're not going to get it back.

Great tip. Though your instructions were a bit confusing to me. I found this link explained it more clearly. Very cool tool!

From a teenager who stays current on the "hip" stuff...

The iPhone (which I have) is very user friendly and has a lot of things going for it. Like Brandon said, easiest out of the box.

Blackberrys... I know too many people that have had major issues with them. Was it the people? that certain phone model? being in my age demographic? probably so.

Androids are big, as far as I know, you can customize them very easily, like jailbreaking the iPhone, but a billion times better.

Its all personal preference

What a sad day seeing this on a Gibson forum.... [crying] Who cares? They will be free with breakfast cereals soon...

"Smart" phones just aren't...I've lost count of the times I've wanted to smash my iPhone up!!!

Yes, I know what I'm doing and how to use it...

Soon as the contract is up I'm reverting to an old Nokia...or even better ditch the mobile completely...

Remember the days when you were out and unreachable? No mobile , email, etc...

Great days...bring them back [thumbup]

Archived