Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite acoustic guitar amplifier

HDdeuce

I've posted before that I'm not satisfied with the amplified sound I'm getting with the J200 studio plugged through an Ultrasound DS4, at least not yet...I'm still experimenting.

What are you guys using that you're pleased with?

My pick is a Genz Benz Shenandoah Acoustic 150w. It has all the charms like the Marshal amps. And I liked the weight of just 26# / I've had it for almost 4 years now with no problems / sounds great and works well for churches, Senior Centers, Nursing Homes & outside for reunions,Clubs, Fundraisers etc. / I did alot of research and most amps that have what it has weights 65# or so. / I'm handicapped and have to use a wheelchair and on good days a walker and this amp fit my needs in handling my equipment on a cart.

Check it out online at: genzbenz.com

Wow, a 63' Hummingbird, now that is impressive ! Do you have any sound samples ..?

My pick is a Genz Benz Shenandoah Acoustic 150w. It has all the charms like the Marshal amps. And I liked the weight of just 26# / I've had it for almost 4 years now with no problems / sounds great and works well for churches, Senior Centers, Nursing Homes & outside for reunions,Clubs, Fundraisers etc. / I did alot of research and most amps that have what it has weights 65# or so. / I'm handicapped and have to use a wheelchair and on good days a walker and this amp fit my needs in handling my equipment on a cart.

Check it out online at: genzbenz.com

Thanks so much for the replies! Looks like Marshall and GenzBenz are the leaders so far. I should be close to a music store tomorrow so will try to audition some. Would appreciate other opinions as well if anyone else wants to 'weigh in'.

(Danner, does your response mean you use the Fishman setup?)

No, I had a Fender Acoustasonic for about 10 years, and recently sold it. I have been researching amps for about 6 months, and it looks like the Fishman is the class of the field. But, I was not looking at higher power amps for big rooms. Still the Fishman range needs to be on your short list.

i spent ages looking for something which didn't sound like metal snap screech on the highs, and like crud in the lows..

I found solace in the LR BAGGS CORE ONE amp... and it looks like a sex machine... just gorgeous..

I'm very happy with it...

(I have an older one - rumour has it they've been re-released with an upgrade and sound even hotter...

Wow, a 63' Hummingbird, now that is impressive ! Do you have any sound samples ..?

I'm not that good with a computer but, Yes My 'Baby' a '63' Custom Hummingbird is All that a Gibson Acoustic Can Be / She has aged well over time and the sound is smooth & loud / I play fingerpicking style which I learned from my home in the mountains of North Carolina and she is as loud in volume as others that use picks / That Guitar is 47 years old now and a dream to play / Beautiful Tone, I always let people know when they get a new Gibson just wait for it gets better over time.

I wish I did know how to record sound bytes or record on U-Tube / Local people hear me play and sing in Churchs, Nursing Homes, Fundraisers, etc. I am Blessed to share the Gift of Music to Others in that way. "And a Gift is not a Gift until You Give It."

Thank You for asking. If we lived closer we could jam a tune or two. Thanks to the Gibson Forum we can share our thoughts on the Gibsons & the Music we make to people all over the world / and Thats Amazing to me / Glad to be a part of the Forum - alot of Great People Here. "Enjoy that Gibson" Blessings from; Paul Dean in North Carolina [thumbup]

(Thanks so much for the replies! Looks like Marshall and GenzBenz are the leaders so far. I should be close to a music store tomorrow so will try to audition some. Would appreciate other opinions as well if anyone else wants to 'weigh in'.)

Thought I'd post an update on the amp situation...

Went to Lincoln, (about 170 miles from here) last Saturday, actually was going elsewhere but stopped in Lincoln and hit the GC. In the acoustic room were a few amps-Fender Acoustimass (?) Jr, some 'Acoustic' brand amps, a Fishman portable-small type practice amp, but kinda cool, a Fishman 220, and a Marshall A50d.

There were a couple of guys in the room already, one was trying out a Breedlove and amps. He dominated the sound room for the next (approx.) 1 1/2 hours that I was there, plus he seemed to know one song by heart which used a heavy (muted) low E followed by hand muted E chord and an A eventually. I'm really not complaining, glad he plays; I offer this as partial explanation of my first experience in trying to hear some of the amps you guys recommended. I DID grab his guitar cord and plug into 4 different amps, but what he was playing did not allow me to sample the amplifiers' (faithful?) reproduction of an acoustic guitar. Oh yeah, did I mention this was Saturday at the GC? Do you know how many teens can crowd into the electric guitar/bass guitar/drum sections at one time when they're not at school? I think if I can get back there during the work week it might be better, however they didn't have the Marshall A100SD, nor any Genz Benz or larger Fishman amps-except the 220 column setup. Also, Lincoln has a fine music store-been there since at least the 60s, and I want to stop there...another time, hopefully.

A side note- GC had the SWD studio w/cutaway which I would have liked to carefully listened to as EuroAussie really likes his, but the sound competition wouldn't allow it. BTW, I couldn't plug the SWD into an amp because we, (an employee trying to round up a known good 9v battery, and myself) determined the electronics in the guitar didn't work...so there went the 'battle of the bands...well, guitars'-between the Breedlove player and myself...

OK-so this week I plugged the J200 into my old Crate Acoustic 125D, and found that it sounds very nice-natural, even tho' the effects don't work in the amp anymore. So I have the Ultrasound boxed up and ready to ship back to MF. This answers my question about the electronics in the 200-they work fine. So I just need to find the right amp...been reading alot of reviews/recommendations this week and the Marshall is looking good...

more to come later on...(glad the forum is back...)

I tried a lot out and ended up with the Vox AGA150

it has one channel that is valve too and steel and nylon strings sound warm and vibrant through it!

th_aga70_150.jpgth_aga150_front.jpg

thanks, Matt. I'm intrigued with the thought of a tube type acoustic amp. Maybe sound warm and sweet sorta' like the 200...

I read somewhere on the forum about someone's idea that Gibson should consider building a valve type acoustic amp-perhaps so!

BTW Matt, REALLY liked your composition and performance of America that you shared...thanks SO MUCH!

Doug.

AER compact 60

You surprise me OWF..I took you as a no-amp player/performer, (perhaps from info on a different post); or if amplification needed, a mic into a mixer...I will check out the AER 60! thanks!

Archived