Gibson Brands Forums

I cant play sitting down any more

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

No, I don't have hemroids [laugh]

I just tried to play sitting down for the first time in years because my music room is a mess (Partly because barton8367 made me dig out an old guitar to take some pics which meant moving a lot of crap about and partly because I am setting up my studio after moving house a wile ago)and I was worried about my headstock.

I couldn't do it, it felt terrible and after the 10th fret(ish) I just couldn't hit anything! I don't know if I can be bothered to re-learn, I think I can put up with always standing. V players do it!

I understand completely. I used to play almost exclusively seated and somewhere, somehow, that changed. I have to play my electrics standing and my acoustic sitting.

Go figure.

I'm the same way. I almost always play my electrics standing, and ALWAYS play my acoustic sitting.

Guest FarnsBarns

No we don't.

Really? Doesn't that mean you have to support the neck with your left hand? Or do you use a strap?

Here is a good tip for playing while seated......If I am sitting down, I always use the "classical" guitar style of holding the lower bout of the guitar between my legs, resting the waist of the guitar on my left thigh. The forces the neck upwards, closer to the angle you use when you have a guitar slung low on a strap. Also, it puts the higher frets just a bit closer to your fretting hand. This also will help balance out an unbalanced guitar, be it neck or body heavy ;)

I cant play my acoustic guitar sitting down.

Im nearly 5'4" and if i play sitting down my strum hand shoulder rises up into my ear practically.

solution... play standing :D

(its a J200 jumbo epiphone artist series acoustic. Basically a stripped down jumbo)

I use a strap on some guitars; not on others. Even doing a bar stool or chair, I do with some, not with others.

On occasion I'll go the complete "classical" way complete to a footstool for my left foot. That's more or less the "shape" of body positioning, though, that I use regardless of guitar. That's even with left leg crossed over right, then the guitar on that leg - as in the avatar.

Frankly I've come to prefer a bar stool (that takes you to about standing height) and a strap for playing in public. Practice... about any sorta chair that does not have arms.

The above hold whether I'm playing a long scale bass, solidbody (SG) or a number of acoustic and/or electric shapes.

With the Ovation "bowl" backs, I think a strap is almost necessary, but a more or less classical "hold," standing or sitting, seems to overcome any potential problems compared to a "regular" guitar.

m

Guest FarnsBarns

My, friend, you are looking at it all wrong.

OK, so I couldn't see wood for trees [blush] ! I play my resonator like that, can't play my Lester that way, dunno why, just feels wrong.

Anyway, since this problem arose because I have only played standing up for the last 10 or 15 years I don't suppose it's a big problem, I just need to get the music room sorted out so I don't loose my headstock.

Archived