Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Suggestions

John Marks15

What do you think is the best kind of amp to use for this kind of guitar. Does it have to meet certain criteria (i.e. certain amount of watts/amps). I'm trying to buy an amp, but I want to make sure that I will buy one that works with my guitar. Any and all help is appreciated.

What do you think is the best kind of amp to use for this kind of guitar. Does it have to meet certain criteria (i.e. certain amount of watts/amps). I'm trying to buy an amp, but I want to make sure that I will buy one that works with my guitar. Any and all help is appreciated.

Hi John, welcome to the forums.

This is such a subjective question, there's no real answer. It would be easier to name a few suspects if you could explain your musical tastes, budget, for practice or performance, how much experience you have as a player, volume required etc.

Hi John Marks15.

Your question is very open ended., but I think Marshall amps or amps that can "model" Marshall amps are probably the "standard" type amps that are used with a Les Paul type guitar.

Too many variables there to address.

1. Are you a professional musician,playing regular gigs to large crowds or just an amateur who likes to play?

2. Do you have a target budget in mind?

3. Do you play more than one type of music?

4. Can you run an amp full tilt or do you have to be conscious of disturbing neighbors?

No one amp will cover all the bases.

A good tube amp will give you a great vintage Fat sound the LP is known for, but will cost more money.

A nice Marshall stack will certainly annoy your neighbors and break your piggy bank.

A few companies have introduced some very good modeling amps in the last few years. Some of these can be had for under $400.

You'd be amazed at the sound you can get from some of these small, inexpensive amps.

I would start looking at the modeling amps from Line 6 and Fender.

It's a place to start. Enjoy the hunt.

Too many variables there to address.

1. Are you a professional musician,playing regular gigs to large crowds or just an amateur who likes to play?

2. Do you have a target budget in mind?

3. Do you play more than one type of music?

4. Can you run an amp full tilt or do you have to be conscious of disturbing neighbors?

No one amp will cover all the bases.

A good tube amp will give you a great vintage Fat sound the LP is known for, but will cost more money.

A nice Marshall stack will certainly annoy your neighbors and break your piggy bank.

A few companies have introduced some very good modeling amps in the last few years. Some of these can be had for under $400.

You'd be amazed at the sound you can get from some of these small, inexpensive amps.

I would start looking at the modeling amps from Line 6 and Fender.

It's a place to start. Enjoy the hunt.

1. no, I'm just a hobbyist.

2. less the $100 (I realize that's pretty cheap, but I don't want to pay more than a fourth of what the guitar cost for an amp.)

3. yes, I play a lot of different music

4. that depends on how loud "full tilt" is. I do have to be careful not to disturb my neighbors

I'm really just looking for a good, "practice" amp at maybe 10 or so watts. My main worry was that there would be some kind of compatibility issues between the amp and the guitar (i.e. some amps only work with certain guitars, or something like that).

For the use you need. Go with the fender mustang series. You can get one for $100 and theyre is many option for practice any kind of style. You can plug it into your computer, use the Fuse software that come with it. You can connect your MP3 player and play your favorite track or backtrack. You can look into youtube for some review/demo of the feature of it. I do own the Mustang I and i pay $99. I really like it. I use some preset under Fuse software, can pratice many hour with out stopping... must have!

Some of the Vox modeling amps can be had in that price range, used. Even the first generation ToneLab, which has great amp/speaker cabinet modeling and some pretty good built-in effects. You could output to a stereo, computer or use headphones. Down the road, it could become an effects unit for a larger amp (that's how I use mine). With the 3rd and 4th generation ToneLabs out there, the 1st gen are going for $75 to $100 on eBay all of the time. Just saying.

For $100.00 get a Fender Mustang I amp. Connect it to your computer and install the software. Connect to the Fender "FUSE" community site ("FUSE" is the additional controlling software Fender has developed to run the amp). Log on to the Fender site, download the latest firmware, backing tracks and preset "programs" and you will have more backing track and preset "tones" than you will ever know what to do with (among others, I own a Mustang II amp, a little bigger than the Mustang I, same set up though). 12 different amp "models" , (Fender, Vox, Marshall) For home practice, I think it's a great amp. I hook a chord to the headphone out and then to the soundcard "in" on my computer (my computer speakers have an "AUX" in for an MP3 player as well as headphone out plug ports). I play the amp through my computers speaker system. Works great.

The Fender Mustang amps people have mentioned are great and very versatile. Well I mean, they're all great if you like 'em. The reason I included that link in my previous post is because your question is impossible to answer. Someone might love the way one amp sounds and you may hate it. There's lot's of different options in your price range as you can see from that link. Your best bet would probably be to just go check out a few at a guitar store first and see what you like/don't like ect. Then you can ask more specific questions and people on here will be more than happy to help you.

I have a Peavey Vypyr 30 and I find it to be much better than anything available from Line 6 and I prefer it to the Mustang II. You also have a choice of two different pedals for the Vypyr that add to it's flexibility. I bought a Mustang II a few weeks ago for a great price, $125 used. I kept it for a week and sold it to a buddy for the same price. Side by side with my Vypyr, the sound quality just didn't measure up. And I really didn't like having to keep my laptop connected to it to get the settings I wanted. I just didn't like the idea of being so dependant on a computer to get the best out of the amp.

Roland Cubes are also great amps for home use and I like the power squeeze button on the 30W to drop the power down for evening playing at home. I think that may be my next addition as I want a second amp to use the stereo setup on my Ultra II.

1. no, I'm just a hobbyist.

2. less the $100 (I realize that's pretty cheap, but I don't want to pay more than a fourth of what the guitar cost for an amp.)

3. yes, I play a lot of different music

4. that depends on how loud "full tilt" is. I do have to be careful not to disturb my neighbors

I'm really just looking for a good, "practice" amp at maybe 10 or so watts. My main worry was that there would be some kind of compatibility issues between the amp and the guitar (i.e. some amps only work with certain guitars, or something like that).

No, there are NO compatibility issues with amps and guitars. It would make no sense whatsoever for there to be any. Bring your guitar, go to a guitar shop, and try out amps.

I have an Epi L.P. Trad. Pro and G-400 Custom Les Paul and I find the Fender Blues Jr. is a great amp for these guitars.When played clean youcan get the mellowest jazzy sounds yet when you overdrive the little brute you can get a real raunchy growl out of it.Of course Marshall and Les Pauls make for tonal Heaven and it hardly matters what model Marshall however I have 2 JCM 800s-a 2204 and a 4210 and my Les Pauls through them would bring an army to its knees.The Vox Valvestate Series also puts some of the best modelling amps on the market so you can get several dead on facsimiles of the world's best tube amps in one rig.

I agree with a previous poster in regards to the Fender Mustang Series amps. I just picked up a Mustang III a few weeks ago and cannot stay away from it. Amazing amp. The III model is $299. I got mine at a Guitar Center, and printed a coupon from their website. Ended up paying about $260. Best bang for the buck. Check the link I've added. Good Luck!

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Flash/FenderMustang.html

My recommendation in your price range is the Mustang I. I have owned 2 Valvetronix amps and I really loved the tone I got out of them. BUT, my VT50 died just after the 1 year warranty ran out. Vox wouldn't help me out. My tech told me it would probably cost more to fix than it was worth. I needed a modeling amp for what I do, so I got a Mustang IV. I love the tones I can get out of it, but what is more important to me right now is the 5 year warranty. The computer technology available with the Mustang is also a plus.

The Peavey Vypyrs come with a 5 year warranty also, but I opted for the Mustang because the pedal I would have gotten for the Vypyr costs $200. I also like the looks of the Fender over the Vypyr, I know that is subjective, but it was my money.

The main thing is to get an amp that you like the sound(s) of. If it doesn't sound good to you, you aren't gonna want to play and it won't be fun. Playing guitar should be fun. That being said, go try put out a few in your price range and see what you like.

I just came across this for sale and was wondering if anyone had any experience with Crate amps. The price is better than good. From what I've read on the net, this is an amazing deal. I'm really considering picking it up. Don't really have the space for it, but what the hell. :)

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Tete-Crate-VTX-350H-avec-Cab-BUHRINGER-W0QQAdIdZ273714297

I do have a crate VTX30. It has a real Nice clean sound and a great dirty chanel. For my used it's the best amp i could buy as i like to play blues and heavy metal. I did try a mustang lll and i didn't like that i had to spend more time to find my sound than actually play. One amp that i did like a lot was the Rolland cube. Great sound ,easy to use and a good price.

Archived