Gibson Brands Forums

Bad luck with the Tribute LP...

bjones1972

Ok...so I bought an Epi Tribute LP about a month ago. Volume pot went out. No problem, sent it back to Musician's Friend, took them about a week to replace the guitar. Get my replacement and everything is fine...except last night when cleaning it, I noticed that the neck pickup is slightly off center, meaning the entire pup assembly is off about a quarter of an inch towards the selector switch. It doesn't affect the sound of the instrument that I can tell, but I would think that even Epi guitars would have templates that are used to show routing holes and what not...

My biggest beef with both LP tributes I have had is this; both guitars have had scratch/scuffmarks on the body...it's strange, because the lacquer is smooth to the touch and has a full sheen glossiness, but when tilted in the light, several tiny scratch marks can be seen. I have pondered seeing if I can use a buffing compound to fill the scratches, but don't want to mess it up any worse than it is.

Truth be known, the reason I bought the guitar is because it SOUNDS just like a LP...and I understand that it is a Chinese made instrument...but come on...for 800 bucks, shouldn't the guitar be a little better qc'ed than what it appears to have been? To me, when it comes to a guitar with "Les Paul Model" on the headstock, a certain standard of quality should be maintained. :(

Any thoughts and suggestions would be kindly appreciated.

Gosh, for $800, I'd return it & get a Gibson '60s LP tribute for $850 or less. GC had a $75 off coupon this past weekend, so it could have been picked up for $775 (and MF will price match). I played one in-store, and it was very tempting & the P90s had a great sound, but ultimately it was too similar to other guitars I own. Have to say, the build quality was quite good for a Gibson in this price range. Nice looking top on the cherry burst I sampled.

I agree. when you are selling out your hard earned $$$ you expect top quality. I just purchased the Epi Les Paul Pro Plus Top FX model. The Bridge pick up seems too far form the bridge (I heard this common in the China models- the Korea models are "correct"). I also noticed some blemishesin my finish and a ding in the back of the neck near the 3rd fret. I love the guitar besides that, but we shouldn't have to put up with these issues because they are not 'real Gibsons'.

Yeah, I did some measuring over lunch and it's actually about 1/8" off. Even still, off is off. And now that I've measured it, it's going to stick out like a sore thumb every time I look at it. So, *heavy sigh* guess I'll be sending this one back as well. [sneaky]

I agree. when you are selling out your hard earned $$$ you expect top quality. I just purchased the Epi Les Paul Pro Plus Top FX model. The Bridge pick up seems too far form the bridge (I heard this common in the China models- the Korea models are "correct"). I also noticed some blemishesin my finish and a ding in the back of the neck near the 3rd fret. I love the guitar besides that, but we shouldn't have to put up with these issues because they are not 'real Gibsons'.

so here's how it's gone for me so far today:

MF: sorry, we don't have any more of those in stock...

Me: Well, then I guess there's not much you CAN do...

MF: Were you satisfied with the service you received today?

Me: ](*,)

flash forward to Gibson's cust serv call...

Me: The pickup is off center. The strings don't match up with the polepiece screws.

Gib: Well, I'm looking at a Gibson Les Paul right here and they don't match up on this one, either.

Me: Well, I measured it and the whole pickup assembly is off by about an 1/8".

Gib: How do you know? I mean, what is your reference point?

Me: Um, the center of the fretboard? I mean, I'm not a master luthier, but...

Gib: Well, sometimes the pickups don't line up like that.

Me: (weekend update) Really?

Gib: Tell you what, take a picture of the pickup and the area you're concerned about and email it to us...

Me: :huh:

So my guess is that I'm going to be the proud owner of one of those guitars that is "unique". [crying]

Gosh, for $800, I'd return it & get a Gibson '60s LP tribute for $850 or less. GC had a $75 off coupon this past weekend, so it could have been picked up for $775 (and MF will price match). I played one in-store, and it was very tempting & the P90s had a great sound, but ultimately it was too similar to other guitars I own. Have to say, the build quality was quite good for a Gibson in this price range. Nice looking top on the cherry burst I sampled.

Although this is a feasible argument, I never have been a big fan of the Studio model.

so here's how it's gone for me so far today:

MF: sorry, we don't have any more of those in stock...

Me: Well, then I guess there's not much you CAN do...

MF: Were you satisfied with the service you received today?

Me: ](*,)

flash forward to Gibson's cust serv call...

Me: The pickup is off center. The strings don't match up with the polepiece screws.

Gib: Well, I'm looking at a Gibson Les Paul right here and they don't match up on this one, either.

ME:: WOW< SO PPL ARE RETURNING PIECE OF DUNG GIBBYS TOO?

Me: Well, I measured it and the whole pickup assembly is off by about an 1/8".

Gib: How do you know? I mean, what is your reference point?

ME:: I ALREADY TOLD YOU THAT THE POLE PIECES DON'T LINE UP.....I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER!!!

Me: Um, the center of the fretboard? I mean, I'm not a master luthier, but...

Gib: Well, sometimes the pickups don't line up like that.

ME:: YEAH, THATS WHY PEOPLE RETURN THEM ...IDIOT!

Me: (weekend update) Really?

Gib: Tell you what, take a picture of the pickup and the area you're concerned about and email it to us...

Me: :huh:

So my guess is that I'm going to be the proud owner of one of those guitars that is "unique". [crying]

please see my additions to your conversation w/Gibby.....

you don't HAVE to take this, but it's their JOB to stop as many returns as possible......MAKE THEM DO THE RIGHT THING

So this guitar came from Musician's Friend? Send it back if you're within the 45 day period, and they'll pay the shipping if you make it clear that it's flawed. I've found MF to be very easy to work with on returns. And as far as the Gibson Studio 60s Tribute is concerned, for an up close look, go to Wildwood Guitars and check out the pics of the honey & cherry bursts they have in stock. If you want a perfect finish, forget it. But for tone, playability, & P90 goodness, these are seriously nice guitars for the money. Regardless of your decision, hope it all works out well.

Dude ! both Gibby and us guys are gonna need a Photo that is square on the body 'cause at that angle it's almost impossible to asses the situation.

If the pickup ring is off center, re-positioning it will be a fairly easy fix. [biggrin]

I can understand being upset with the guitar. And yes, it's a minor flaw considering, but for the money that was spent I'd expect better Quality Control at the FACTORY and here in the States when the guitar is "supposedly" setup and inspected. What the hell? Are the QC guys smokin' crack or what? (Not to mention the factory workers.) If they worked in my machine shop they would be looking for another job! If you bought a new car and the doors were out of line you'd be pissed wouldn't you?

The "cheap", Made In China, Jay Turser JT-200 Pro I bought is nearly perfect! And it was only $150 BRAND NEW IN THE BOX SHIPPED TO MY DOOR!

I would have to say that for the money, the overall quality of it surpasses 95% of the Epi's I've seen.

So my question is this, just how loose are the tolerances that Gibson/Epiphone use as a standard when doing quality control?

There's been quite a few "shoddy" guitar issues with new Epi's, at least as far as some I've seen posted here in this forum.

They're cutting their own throats and ruining their own reputation real quick I think................

I can understand being upset with the guitar. And yes, it's a minor flaw considering, but for the money that was spent I'd expect better Quality Control at the FACTORY and here in the States when the guitar is "supposedly" setup and inspected. What the hell? Are the QC guys smokin' crack or what? (Not to mention the factory workers.) If they worked in my machine shop they would be looking for another job! If you bought a new car and the doors were out of line you'd be pissed wouldn't you?

The "cheap", Made In China, Jay Turser JT-200 Pro I bought is nearly perfect! And it was only $150 BRAND NEW IN THE BOX SHIPPED TO MY DOOR!

I would have to say that for the money, the overall quality of it surpasses 95% of the Epi's I've seen.

So my question is this, just how loose are the tolerances that Gibson/Epiphone use as a standard when doing quality control?

There's been quite a few "shoddy" guitar issues with new Epi's, at least as far as some I've seen posted here in this forum.

They're cutting their own throats and ruining their own reputation real quick I think................

Yeah, my Turser (JT133) is about the same, and I paid the same price you did. Definately one of the better guitars I've owned, but I will NOT knock my Epi I unfortunately had to sell (Les Paul Classic), the JT is on par with that guitar, and the good thing came out of selling the Epi was I was turned on to Jay Turser guitars. 'Course then again, my Epiphone was a Korean guitar, so that could be a factor, but, on the other hand, I've seen and played some pretty nice Chinese examples...they've gotten better.

I wasn't trying to knock the Epi's, I like the ones I have, but I'm always demanding quality when I spend my cash for anything.

I've seen Gibson's, among others, hanging in GC that I wouldn't pay the cash for because the finishes were horrible etc.

I just can't understand why companies who manufacture ANY product would let their QC slide downhill. I've NEVER had any issues with the older

Gibson's I've owned, every one of them without exception were fantastic axes. I've heard some real horror stories about new ones.

That's a tough break as I tried a '59 or '60 tribute Epi L.P. and it was the best L.P. I've ever played.Don't feel too bad though,a buddy of mine planked down over $3000 for a Gibson Les Paul-Custom I believe-and he's sick and tired of bringing it back to the dealer to get the tuning issues resolved.He's not that assertive so he puts up with the runaround that Long and McQuade keeps giving him since he bought it in '09.Despite tuner changes and countless set ups the guitar absolutely refuses to stay in tune.

Archived