Gibson Brands Forums

Snapped Headstock ES335

ES335-ES330

Hello There,

I’ve done something really stupid, rested my beloved ES335 against my piano and it slid sideways, the headstock hit a mic stand base and it snapped!

I couldn’t believe it, very nearly cried! Could anyone from Gibson recommend me somebody in England who could undertake this kind of repair and/or who is Gibson approved?

Thanks all for your help!

Man I almost cried reading it, I put a tiny nick in the headstock of my Explorer and I had to wipe a tear from my eye. Have you tried emailing or calling Gibson directly or possibly a guitar retailer in your neck of the woods can point you towards a reputable Luthier.

Ouch.... Man, so sorry I FEEL YOUR PAIN... Don't worry you'll get it fixed and it will be good as new. What happened to you is pretty common so don't feel too bad. There are lots of good techs/Luthiers out there that can fix a snapped head stock. Maybe some of the guys from England can recommend you someone. Someone will steer you in the right direction for sure...

Take a deep breath and relax. I broke the heastock off my last LP. It was never the same again. KIDDING! I had it repaired, and it was fine. An expert repair job and you will never know the difference. I cant suggest any English techs for you, but I just wanted to say that it will all be okay, and your guitar will be back to chalk in no time.

I think my heart stopped there for a moment.

That is my worse nightmare. I know very well that they can be fixed but just the thought of it happening to one of my guitars gives me the shivers. I've been guilty of leaning too. Never ever again.

Good luck. It will work out.

The way I think it is, with the Gibson Mahagony necks. There are guitars that don't get used, guitars that have had the headstocks repaired from being broken, and guitars with headstocks that haven't been broken yet.

I have yet to have it happen to me, but when it does, I hope that I take it like a man.

Sorry I'm a long way from england but good luck finding a good luthier.

A broken headstock always sucks but they also almost always look scarier than they really are so it's not a total loss - save every splinter paint chip and don't mess with the broken neck hell try not to touch the neck at all. Also no matter how tempting it is don't keep putting it back together to see if it will look ok! The less you mess with it the better the repair will look at the end.

A good fix will leave the guitar playing just like before, so if it was a player you'll be fine. The only time this is a unrecoverable mess was if the guitar is a collectable or if you want to sell it someday, it just to a major drop in value but the sound will usually be fine.

Sorry for your loss man it always sucks no matter how long you've been playing, and even though its not the worst thing that can happen to a guitar it's one of the scariest and ugliest injuries a guitar can get. [crying]

Don't loose any sleep over it. Here, I hope my guitar makes you feel better.

d9c8c10d.jpg

My butthole cringed when I saw that, for some reason I instantly envisioned my explorer like that and me going on a homicidal rampage.

Archived