Gibson Brands Forums

What is the most important part of your sound?

57-classic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a combination of everything. An amp is a good amount of it, but by no means not all, or more important. I guess the players hands and fingers has no part of it. [thumbdn]

Please, not the "tone is in the fingers" debate again.

Your "sound" is heavily influenced by your playing style and ability.

Your "tone" is the product of your dynamics and ability to dial in good sounds with your set up. Turn both the tone knobs to 0 on your guitar. It doesnt matter what you do with your fingers, that is the sound you are going to get.

I have to argue that the guitar makes the bigger difference. I have 14 strats, and only a few actually have that glassy high end and mid range quack. With these guitars, it makes no difference which of my amps they are connected to. First would be the hands, then would be a good and well set-up instrument, and then a good amp. :D

Excellent answer....

.....if the question was "What's the most important part of Tony Iomi's sound?"

Kind of like your first answer with the picture of two hands...are those your hands? or does it answer the OP question?

Please, not the "tone is in the fingers" debate again.

Your "sound" is heavily influenced by your playing style and ability.

Your "tone" is the product of your dynamics and ability to dial in good sounds with your set up. Turn both the tone knobs to 0 on your guitar. It doesnt matter what you do with your fingers, that is the sound you are going to get.

Actually, all of my guitars have excellent tone acoustically. It is a feature I look for when buying a guitar.

A better analogy is "take away the guitar, and what tone do you have", if you're going to play the "it's all in the gear" card.

Sad to admit how long it took me to realize that regardless of my skills, if I have no gear at all, I have no "sound" to speak of....

Kind of like your first answer with the picture of two hands...are those your hands? or does it answer the OP question?

It's not rocket surgery.

You can figure it out, especially with what I wrote after the pic.

Archived