Gibson Brands Forums

What is the most important part of your sound?

57-classic

I don't have any guitars THAT cheap...but mine range from $400 - $800...

I like the sound I get out of them with my Blackstar Tube amp....but if I plug into the Line 6 Spider II I have (oooooold), there's very little definition at high gain...

My thought would be that the amp is an important piece of the puzzle...but the player knows how to play THEIR guitar, no matter the cost of it. You may have to fight a bit with some but the player can make it work. You can't fight an amp. :)

Well maybe Steve can after a few vodkas...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yea, I agree with you.

Going back to the original post question, (not just the header but the actual question)the player is not a variable. If I was to choose I would choose a good tube amp over an expensive guitar.

Can you imagine if the player was a variable?, would Edward Van Halen sound better than you with your own rig? [crying]

Yes, yes he would...

Sound is always a tail chasing affair for me, because depending on the application (live or recording), the amp has to be tailored differently to achieve the sound I'm looking for...... Basically what is important for achieving a certain tone one day, may not be for a different day. The one thing I can always count on as a constant is my approach / technique to the guitar itself no matter what guitar I'm playing, or whomever's rig I'm playing out of..... I will always sound like me.

Also, when it comes to the sound of amps, and pedals...trying (before you buy)

at what will be your "Full Volume," makes an incredible difference...in

my experience. I will not "try out," an amp, on the floor of a store,

but, in the enclosed "amp room," if they have one...where I can really crank it up.

If they don't have an enclosed amp room, I make sure they have a good "return policy!" ;>)

Same with pedals. They can sound dramatically different, at stage volume,

than they do, at much lower volumes, with the same settings...Quite often,

like completely different pedals.

CB

/chuckle

The player IS the largest variable, otherwise we'd ALL be BB King or Eddie Van Halen.

As I said, I've had another guitar player pick up my instrument and play through my rig with my settings and sound completely different, tonally speaking.

And since it's been brought up, I buy guitars based on playability and sound. Meaning I have a $150 Hondo 12 string that is unmatched by any other 12 string I've ever heard or played. My #1 acoustic is an Ibanez EW 6 string. In fact, I own exactly 2 guitars for which I payed more than $250.00.

That's 2... two... and one of those was an anniversary gift.

I repeat, my HANDS are the most important part of my sound, pointless semantics between "brain" and "Sound" and inane comments about quality of equipment notwithstanding.

To wit: How many times has Eddie changed amps and guitars without changing his sound? Fenders, Gibsons, Parts casters.... still Eddie.

Oh, and for the record, there IS an IQ bar to ride the ChanMan ride. Some folks just don't measure up... that's why they gave us the ignore feature.

Need I explain THAT further, Richard?

I am reading a book on tube amplifiers and Dave Hunter says that amplifiers are more important to your tone than your guitar. Do you agree? Or is your guitar more important to your tone? [thumbup]

Yes, I agree. As was said before, a killer amp will make any guitar sound great. A craptastic amp will make your Les Paul Black Beauty sound like ***. Even with this said, there is something to be said about the guitar. Not so much what flavor of guitar, but knowing the guitar you are playing and how to milk your sounds out of it. Case and point - a close friend of mine is an amazing player who writes great songs with very interesting chord voicings. On her acoustic or an arch top it is graceful dancing. Give her my SG with it's four knobs, toggle switch, and that meaty Bigsby, and it does not work for her.

I agree with almost everyone on here, if i can't play it, it wont sound like anything! iv played crappy guitars into good amps and good guitars into crappy apms.

user, amp, guitar, effects. despite all of my pedals, i hardly use them. my digital effects are for texture (like slapback) and swells.

That dog is howling at the self-proclaimed genius that can't read/interpret a simple question or geography for that matter, like what the Nashville area really is.

Richard? what a ****** and /shrugs and chuckles right back to you.

Most important part of my sound is a couple cold brews to loosen up so I dont play all robotic, nobody wants to watch a robotic guitarist. For an electronic "toy" in my setup I feel my Line 6 POD X3 is becoming the largest player in my sound, I have been starting to dabble with this amp modeling stuff and it can really open up a lot of doors in such a small and affordable package. Then again it works for my current style of playing which is pretty generic, for those looking for more soul or feel for something like blues or jazz it might not be so awesome. Each to there own though thats why we all have never ending battles chasing our dream tone, and do any of us really achieve it?

That's a pretty hard question (fingers vs. equipment argument aside for a moment), lets say I found myself guitarless, what would I need to make my sound? A Guitar with a Single Coil and a Humbucker, and an Amp.

What would I miss if all I had was a guitar and an amp? Reverb (my Dad was a surf guitarist, Reverb is in my blood)

If my amp didn't have any gain, I'd need gain, So a Tube Screamer would be in order.

But, is the question, "How do you make Cookies?" or "How do YOU make cookies?" All a cookie needs to be a cookie is Flour, Sugar, Egg, Shorting, Salt, and Baking Soda. But if you want to make My cookies you'll need to substitute a little of that shorting with butter and add a little molasses and chocolate chips.....metaphorically speaking.

If it's an acoustic it has to have a lot of "Thump" but not too much "Jangle".

I have said before I have been amazed at the sound a great guitarist can get out of a crap guitar and amp. But in saying that the perfect tone for your particular style. I love my HRD amp I love my MESA but with my ES they sound completely different. I have just bought an Orange Head and Cab. To me they get a very similar sound to the MESA but I don't have to have it cranked to get its sweet spot. It took a lot of time to get that AMP sorted I tried 50 something different combos and finally literally fell across this one ( stupid crowded store ) [crying]. If you look at any live performance its not just the AMP and guitar its the theatre the compression the mix the sound guys can be more important for your sound and tone than any guitar and any amp thats for sure. As it is well known dont get the sound guy angry for he is GOD[sneaky]

Archived