Gibson Brands Forums

I just bought a TV Hummingbird for my brother!

GotTheSilver

There was a big online auction today in which they sold 350 guitars. One of the very last ones was a True Vintage Hummingbird. My brother has been saving up for a H-bird, so I called him up and told him about it. He was travelling today, but asked me to bid on it for him if the price was good. I ended up getting it for $2,200. These things retail for $3,900. I think we did pretty good (he will be paying me back for it).

And the best part - since he lives 10 minutes from me, I will get to play it often!!! [tongue]

Nice brother,are you looking to adopt?The TV Bird's are great Hog guitars , though the Martin D-18 has been around longer as a namecheck comparison,Gibson really hit the mark drawing up the specs on the Hummingbirds' at a very competitive time in the market.Especially when Martin ruled the square shoulder segment,and not by mistake.I think the short scale lends itself to being possibly the best vocal guitar accompaniment going.Visit often,and leave infrequently.Hold "you owe me's" over his head as you play his guitar,try to incorporate it into a song better yet.

Slap his hands and look insulted when he reaches to touch it.It's a cruel and generous world out there.Hold him if he cries.

That IS a great price for TV 'Bird.

A new 'Bird ? . . . . Or used ?

That's kinda in the territory of "too good to be true".

Hope it arrives safely in great condition. B)

New. The auction was ordered by a bankruptcy court, so all of the store's inventory was being liquidated. The prices on many of the electric guitars were nothing at all to get excited about, but several of the few acoustics they had went for really good prices. They had one acoustic listed as "Gibson L-00 Historic Collection Leo Proto 019", that I imagine might be a prototype for what eventually became the Legend series. I bid on it for myself, but did not get it.

Not sorry about the L-00, however. I'm just excited there will be a 'bird in the family. I have an Advanced Jumbo and am saving up for a True Vintage Southern Jumbo, so my brother and I will have plenty of a pickin' and a strummin' to do. We are both big fans of the Rolling Stones, so a Hummingbird is a great guitar.

Nice brother,are you looking to adopt?The TV Bird's are great Hog guitars , though the Martin D-18 has been around longer as a namecheck comparison,Gibson really hit the mark drawing up the specs on the Hummingbirds' at a very competitive time in the market.Especially when Martin ruled the square shoulder segment,and not by mistake.I think the short scale lends itself to being possibly the best vocal guitar accompaniment going.Visit often,and leave infrequently.Hold "you owe me's" over his head as you play his guitar,try to incorporate it into a song better yet.

Slap his hands and look insulted when he reaches to touch it.It's a cruel and generous world out there.Hold him if he cries.

:D :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

OK, my brother got the guitar and boy, were we surprised... in a good way!!! It turns out his Hummingbird is one of the Limited Edition of 167 from 2008. It is in mint condition - not even any pick marks on the pickguard. It is absolutely gorgeous with the dark cherry sunburst and it is probably the sweetest sounding H'bird I have ever played. He really got a heck of a deal on this one. After playing it, his comment was "This is a guitar for life" and I completely agree with him.

I am going to try to upload some pictures he took. This is my first time trying to post pictures to this forum, so I hope this works.

TroysHummingbird-10.jpg

TroysHummingbird-9.jpg

TroysHummingbird-2.jpg

TroysHummingbird-5.jpg

TroysHummingbird-13.jpg

That does not seem to have worked! Any tips on posting pics? I have them saved to Photobucket and I pasted the direct URL into the "Insert Image" window.

Delete the http// that comes up in the insert image box automatically and then paste the direct link from photobucket.

Looking forward to it, sounds like a fantastic guitar.

Stunningly beautiful guitar. I have # 02258043 here. Decided to give it fair chance and try it out for a while. Sounds warm and nectar sweet.The highs are immaculately clear, with no annoying sharpness at all. Mids are strong and present. The bass is a bit behind though, but it could open up. I would like to hear about yours (especially the bass-issue) – and how they develop. Both BrotherSilvers and Parlormans, , , and of course others.

Plus ! . . . Can anyone tell about the mysterious 167 ?

Delete the http// that comes up in the insert image box automatically and then paste the direct link from photobucket.

Looking forward to it, sounds like a fantastic guitar.

Interesting, this is exactly what I did and it didn't work.

Bob R - Thanks for posting the pics for me!

Stunningly beautiful guitar. I have # 02258043 here. Decided to give it fair chance and try it out for a while. Sounds warm and nectar sweet.The highs are immaculately clear, with no annoying sharpness at all. Mids are strong and present. The bass is a bit behind though, but it could open up. I would like to hear about yours (especially the bass-issue) – and how they develop. Both BrotherSilvers and Parlormans, , , and of course others.

Plus ! . . . Can anyone tell about the mysterious 167 ?

I think your description is very appropriate for my brother's guitar. The mids and trebles are beautiful, really great. The bass is there and sounds good, just not as loud as the mids and treble. I do think this will probably develop over time as the guitar opens up. It really has not been played before. Also, when I played it I think it still had the original strings from 2008 on it! I imagine new strings will help this out, too. Overall, the tones from the old Rolling Stones albums really comes through on this guitar.

And I have no idea where the 167 came from, other than maybe they wanted to make 500 guitars, and 167 times 3 is 501.

Archived