Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar / Luthier Tools and Secret Tips for Cheapskates!

animalfarm

Wanted to start a thread for eventual inclusion in the "Epi Lounge"

Do-it-Yourself thread about the CHEAP TOOLS we've found at hardware stores,

garage sales, etc., and tricks and tips that could be passed on to others.

I have some, but this thread will require input from "y'all" and maybe a re-post

of your tips as they are buried in other threads that I cannot remember the titles of.

A few that come to mind - Rastus's Whetstone vs levelling block, Willies Crayon trick

for color matching holes, the Pin-drill, and.....???? (total brain dump).

Can ya help me???

Here's mine for a start:

100_0734.jpg

oh, yeah - also this 6" machinists rule, measures 32nds and 64ths, great for setting action

and pup height - HARBOR FREIGHT - 99 Cents. Keep one in every git case.

93684.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few that come to mind - Rastus's Whetstone vs levelling block,

I wouldn't go the whetstone route AF, the one I bought was meant to be light/medium grade, damned if you couldn't shape diamonds with that thing, it was sooo rough, the flat levelling sander was ideal though, as long as it's a good quality metal one, they sell the same thing through StewMac for about 7 times the price, theirs may be ground flat but I think (I know actually from my precision fitting days) the technique used has more bearing on the results than a minute (absolutely miniscule) difference in flatness.

The auto maskers are another thing I heard on this forum, think it was you actually AF, on your fret polishing thread, mention they are sold by StewMac, I've never even seen a StewMac one, I just made my own going on your description of them, they cost nothing, and only take a few minutes to make.

The info on that stuff is here:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/65795-ngd-xaviere-xv-560-take-2/page__view__findpost__p__913900

An actual MINUS vote for my post??????? [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

I believe that is one of the first ones I've EVER received!!!!!

Gee, if "you" don't agree with me, at least step up and say why, or

offer a better solution!

Must have been from someome who works for

StewMac.

An actual MINUS vote for my post??????? [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

I believe that is one of the first ones I've EVER received!!!!!

Gee, if "you" don't agree with me, at least step up and say why, or

offer a better solution!

Must have been from someome who works for

StewMac.

I never noticed that, completely weird.

Well I for one thought it was a great post and gave it a plus. So much for the minus!

To add to your list, I keep a pair of small wire cutters in my case to trim strings after changing.

Yup, front-cut wire cutters for strings, and electrical tape for the shim thing I did with the JT tuners, and a Shamwow for polishing the guitar, and other than the fretboard, for cleaning, aint nothing better than good old fashioned breath and the shamwow

Welding tip cleaners. A cheap way to cut down nut slots. It won't work from scratch, but if you just need to lower your slots they work great. I got mine at Amazon.com and I think I paid under $10 with shipping. If you have a welding supply even better. They used to have them at Harbor Freight, but no more.

41EJLTr13DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cool thread. The only cheep trick i can think of at the moment is, if your tremolo arm has too much play in it, then wrap some plumbers thread seal tape round the screw threads before screwing it in, and voila! all smooth and tight with no wobbling or clunking.

Cool thread. The only cheep trick i can think of at the moment is, if your tremolo arm has too much play in it, then wrap some plumbers thread seal tape round the screw threads before screwing it in, and voila! all smooth and tight with no wobbling or clunking.

Good one!

And if you have a Floyd Rose tremolo with the spring, you can use different sizes of pick-up mount springs in the hole if the arm is too loose.

I could support such a thread. If you all have lived long enough you should know what to try to fix, alter, or improve and what you should give to a professional. I feel some sense of accomplishment when I do some of my own work not in my professional arena.

Some of this is like plumbing. Having done repairs, replacements and maintenance on plumbing in my home has given me insight into what it takes to do a project AND if I even want to take it on. There is no doubt that I would want to use a pro in some situations.

So, essentially, critical thinking is involved here. Can I do this or not?

No different that any other part of life.

Good idea lad!

I always try to keep wire cutters, a flat head screw driver, a small adjustable wrench, and a cleaning cloth in my case. So I can cut strings and do a set up if mine gets messed up during a string change. Painters tape is also useful because it doesn't leave a bunch of grim on your finish (if you tab lyrics/set list to the back of your guitar. I use it for keeping picks). Also if you have uncovered pickups, you can place a pick in between the casing and the pickup, I do it all the time, it's useful for when you go from finger picking to flat picking.

I use the plumbers tape on the threads of the 1/4in. plugs of my cables. stops the shell from unscrewing and possibly causing a buzz.

I use the plumbers tape on the threads of the 1/4in. plugs of my cables. stops the shell from unscrewing and possibly causing a buzz.

Good tip, I'm digging up all my cables now to give them this treatment. <thumbs up>

Two ideas that are semi-related to this idea.

If your strap pins strip out, dip a toothpick or two in wood glue and let them dry in the busted hole. Then screw the strap pin back in and your good to go. Have done this one 2 guitars (LP's, go figure) and they are both fine after 2+ years.

Also, don't forget about the homemade straplocks- Grolsch red gaskets

CB6030.jpg

Just slip these guys over the strap buttons and you've got a removable straplock that requires no modifying of your guitar. It works great.

And if you don't like Grolsch you can order them for about 10 cents a piece online.

Here's a comparison.

Cost: Straplocks-$30+; Grolsch-$.20 cents per guitar

Requires drilling and altering your guitar: Straplocks-Yes; Grolsch- No

Works well: Both-Yes

My link

These files go for about 35-39 bucks apiece, from stewmac.

I go to the Home Depot and buy files for about 5 bucks each. I then shorten them to whatever length I want, using a grinder to cut them.

After that I cut a piece of oak to shape on the band saw, and glue the oak handle onto the file with superglue.

From 35 dollars each, to about 7 dollars each.

Great ideas, guys! a couple I've never heard before.

Mbrooks - right about the GROLSCH straplocks - I ebayed a bag of 100

for about 8.98, think shipping was 2 or 3$. so now I have 100 straplocks.

5434511702_197c1dea48.jpg

grolsch-gaskets-100-count.png

Will also be getting a pindrill.

Just received my "Dan ErleWine" Git repair guide 3rd edition saturday, has even more ideees.

My original was loaned out, never to return.

This only thing he didn't address was doing your own fret inlays with the frets STILL in place!

I'm researching this - I want to replace the DOTS on my LP Studio with rectangular ones - seen

vids of it. gonna practice in a POS neck first....

Keep the ideas coming, please. This is great.

Well, on my Paulownia strat, I did all the top-routing for switches with a butter knife. [biggrin]

I gotta ask, how did you do routing with a butter knife, did you fashion some kind of chisel out of it ???

I gotta ask, how did you do routing with a butter knife, did you fashion some kind of chisel out of it ???

Nope. Paulownia is super soft, I just gently hammered it in with my other hand. [biggrin]

Many of us like the idea of a notched straight edge.

If you are like me, $72 is just a bit steep.

I made my own by cutting down a 4' x 1/8" thick Sears aluminum bench ruler. Cost...$10

I cut it to length and put V notches in it with a Dremel and a couple of hard wheels. Made one for 24.75" neck and one for 25.5" neck. Got both out of the 4'.

I have no idea how good this guy's are as I now have my own. If he had been around when I made mine, I would have tried his. The extra few bucks would have saved some mess and some time:....$15 + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUITAR-NECK-STRAIGHT-EDGE-Notched-LUTHIERS-TOOL-/260782819476?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cb7de0894

Willy

This comes under "Tips for Cheapskates"...(like me)

Sometimes you need to remove your strings but you might not want to replace them.

You may be changing out a bridge, reversing a saddle, replacing a pickup. (If you are playing with your nuts you need to go a different route!)

I see no reason to change my strings until a current project is near completion.

Not knowing how long that may be....I've decided to leave my strings on....However....

I do need to remove the electronics. This also means removing the pickups so as to expose the wire routes.

I will also be replacing the switch.

Step one is to slacken the strings almost to the point that they are unwinding from the tuners.

Add a capo at first fret.......Insert a pencil near the middle of the fretboard, raise the strings, and take the slack out while readjusting the capo.

IMG_1830.jpg

You can now carefully raise the tailpiece until it is about to come out. (make sure there is no tension on the strings!)

Great care must be taken that the tailpiece does not separate from the studs, fall apart, and destroy your finish...Forever!!!

Said parts may now be carefully removed.

IMG_1832.jpg.......... IMG_1834.jpg

I will now turn this LP from a fretless wonder to a gutless wonder. (sound like any of your favorite politicians?)

IMG_1835.jpg.......... IMG_1845.jpg

When I reinstall the strings I treat the studs, strings and tailpiece as one single unit. (again, being careful)

I set the studs over the bushings and turn them counterclockwise until I hear and feel them seat in the threads.

Only then do I start to tighten them down. After all, the idea is to strip the electronics not the bushings!

Remove capo and re-tune.

Willy

Archived