Gibson Brands Forums

Diverse Rock Songs

neilpanda

I think a lot depends on one's definition of a "rock" song.

A lotta Roy Orbison's material simply slaughtered traditional songwriting in terms of form. There was a lotta other experimental stuff in the '60s as well as pop influence got into even some pretty "rocky" material.

That has continued, albeit perhaps less obviously other than in chord progressions.

So in ways ... I dunno how one marks the difference between "pop" and "rock" once one gets beyond one to three-chord blues progressions.

m

I think a lot depends on one's definition of a "rock" song.

A lotta Roy Orbison's material simply slaughtered traditional songwriting in terms of form. There was a lotta other experimental stuff in the '60s as well as pop influence got into even some pretty "rocky" material.

That has continued, albeit perhaps less obviously other than in chord progressions.

So in ways ... I dunno how one marks the difference between "pop" and "rock" once one gets beyond one to three-chord blues progressions.

m

MIlo, I don't think enough people appreciate Roy's songwriting talent, or his voice!

I heard Elvis was extremely envious of Roy's singing ability....and I "do" some of his stuff....and it quite simply is beyond my voice range, (I usually try to get a female singer to help me out on his stuff).

And you're right.... examine his song structure, and there is NOTHING like it!

A thousand years ago when I was a child of 50 years, I could kinda do the range in "Crying." But the vocal quality? Nobody but Orbison. "Running Scared" is almost frightening in terms of the range, though. I did have a lady friend and guitar student who managed to cover "Crying" quite well on a Warner album, but again, we're talking very different vocal qualities.

Oddly Orbison was seen first as a good guitarist rather than singer. Then he was known as a singer. Only later was he known as a truly groundbreaking songwriter.

With all due respect, I don't think he was that fantastic a guitar player, but the voice and songwriting either were enough to show him as an incredible talent - both together put him into an entirely different category from anyone else.

m

Tool is probably the most diverse band i listen to. They've got a couple songs that go from a 4/4 to a 7/2 and then a 5/3. Then they have a song that the rhythm is based on the Fibonacci Spiral, it's called Lateralus. They might be a bit hard for some of you, but I think some of you guys could get a kick out of them.

Tool is probably the most diverse band i listen to. They've got a couple songs that go from a 4/4 to a 7/2 and then a 5/3. Then they have a song that the rhythm is based on the Fibonacci Spiral, it's called Lateralus. They might be a bit hard for some of you, but I think some of you guys could get a kick out of them.

Methinks thou art having a laugh my good friend....!!

Tool is a colloquial term widely in use

My shed hath a surfeit thereof....

V

:-({|=

Methinks thou art having a laugh my good friend....!!

Tool is a colloquial term widely in use

My shed hath a surfeit thereof....

V

No, I do not jest! They are as real as the sky is gray (at least it is in Ohio.) Though I have seen a man play a saw before, that was pretty cool.

Here's proof of the great band Tool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awYc9xvqnv0

Okay...

I'll probably take static for this but IMHO, anything other than measures that can be divided by 2 ain't rock. That leaves out 5/4, even 3/4, even though there once was, very long ago, a song called "Rock and Roll Waltz."

m

Okay...

I'll probably take static for this but IMHO, anything other than measures that can be divided by 2 ain't rock. That leaves out 5/4, even 3/4, even though there once was, very long ago, a song called "Rock and Roll Waltz."

m

It all depends on how it's played. I would consider Jimmi Hendrix's "Manic Depression" rock, and if my memory serves me right, it's 3/4. It's not the timing, but the soul and feel behind the music that defines it. This is all IMO of course.... [tongue]

No, I do not jest! They are as real as the sky is gray (at least it is in Ohio.) Though I have seen a man play a saw before, that was pretty cool.

Here's proof of the great band Tool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awYc9xvqnv0

I dispute not the existence of the band Tool....

I am currently practicing jigs/reels in 5/3....or is it 3/5?

By tying one or more legs together..... [thumbup]

V

Most of the songs listed in this thread are songs I don't like because of the key changes and time signatures. Often times, I feel like it's the songwriting equivalent of playing 27 notes in a solo where two would sound better.

+1 on Roy Orbison: The Man Behind the Glasses never gets his due.

Here's one where I think tempo changes are very subtle but effective:

Back in the olden days, early 70s as I recall, Ian (Tyson) and Sylvia did a cupla progressive country/rock things that were pretty interesting and with a folkie sorta overtone to the lyrics.

But they never "made it" on radio I think because they were so difficult to categorize. Orbison had the advantage of coming in at the beginning of "rock" and so his material was better received - plus it tended regardless of song "form" to be danceable throughout a piece.

One Ian and Sylvia did, a favorite of mine, btw, had such a tempo change it could not be danced to, at least not in the style of the era. I have no idea what current style might be in colleges or even big city country bars.

"We're....... from the same town Baby, same kind of school; I know your whole family, and they're just like you; I ran with your brother.... he's a loser too..."

That's in kinda a blues drag; then it whips into double time. Love the lyric, though.

m

Archived