Gibson Brands Forums

Why is Fender better than Gibson?

Tim Plains

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm debating on whether the next addition to my collection will be a Dot or a MiM Strat. I'm leaning toward the Strat.

I just love being able to make so many different sounds. Some of them are occasionally pretty.

Well to be honest I use the neck pickup about 70% of the time anyways.

I think it's fine to put a humbucker in there. I would only do it if I had a regular Tele and I just loved the Tele feel but wanted a humbucker tone. Or if I wanted to combine the humbucker tone with the Tele neck pickup tone. It would be a versatile guitar.

Basically I would only do that if I had more than one Tele and my traditional Tele sound was well covered.

I don't like HSS Strats.

Just seeing what's allowed...

My son's a Gibson snob, but owns/plays a nice Amer. Stnd Strat...but earlier this week he discovered his sister's 5-yr old MIM Tele...he couldn't put it down. Now he wants to add an inexpensive MIM Tele to his collection. He loves the action and speed of the neck..and the way the strumming hand rests perfectly over the strings.

Well better in what way? Quality? Tone? Playability? Price? I think that the quality is even. Tone is much different but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. The Strat fits the body a little better but that darn middle pickup always seems to be in my way (I guess this wouldn't be an issue if you learned on a Strat). The no frills Les Paul Studio is on par with the Strat on price. Bottom line is that I basically love both.

The real question here should be "why is PRS better than Gibson?" Let the thread hijacking begin...

Well better in what way? Quality? Tone? Playability? I think that the quality is even. Tone is much different but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. The Strat fits the body a little better but that darn middle pickup always seems to be in my way (I guess this wouldn't be an issue if you learned on a Strat). Bottom line is that I basically love both.

The real question here should be "why is PRS better than Gibson?" Let the thread hijacking begin...

Because you cant play metal, jazz, blues, classical, rock, punk, rap, big band guitar in one PRS guitar?

Now on a gibson...thats a walk in a park. [biggrin]

Lets get serious about this.

Lets use the most common PRS (IMO) the Mccarty guitar.

This is a very nice looking guitar, but it can only really handle rock and blues. Im trying to get those smooth jazz tones out of the SS amp (cube 60) i played with it but it doesn't seem to really work out(Joe Pass warm tone you know?). Now i plug it into a Marshall and once the gain knob goes past 5 it starts sounding really muddy, no problem just mess around with EQ right? Nope! Still got muddy tones, id expect more from such a famous guitar.

Now lets play an SG std! OK straight off the bat we all know this can handle blues and rock and anything else. Lets try Jazz eh? OK plug it into a Roland cube 60...mess around with it and...BOOM the warm tone i was searching for. Just gotta play with that tone knob you know? Now lets talk metal! The SG pups i would say are medium output just like the ones on the PRS...so why should this be any different? Good question, i dont really ****ing know! So plug it into a Tiny terror (the Marshall for the PRS was the KK amp) and boom, nice stoner metal tones that even Sleep would raise their hat offs to.

Gibson 1

PRS 0

Next? Any suggestions? Ill take offers!

Lets get serious about this.

Lets use the most common PRS (IMO) the Mccarty guitar.

This is a very nice looking guitar, but it can only really handle rock and blues. Im trying to get those smooth jazz tones out of the SS amp (cube 60) i played with it but it doesn't seem to really work out(Joe Pass warm tone you know?). Now i plug it into a Marshall and once the gain knob goes past 5 it starts sounding really muddy, no problem just mess around with EQ right? Nope! Still got muddy tones, id expect more from such a famous guitar.

Now lets play an SG std! OK straight off the bat we all know this can handle blues and rock and anything else. Lets try Jazz eh? OK plug it into a Roland cube 60...mess around with it and...BOOM the warm tone i was searching for. Just gotta play with that tone knob you know? Now lets talk metal! The SG pups i would say are medium output just like the ones on the PRS...so why should this be any different? Good question, i dont really ****ing know! So plug it into a Tiny terror (the Marshall for the PRS was the KK amp) and boom, nice stoner metal tones that even Sleep would raise their hat offs to.

Gibson 1

PRS 0

Next? Any suggestions? Ill take offers!

Hello Kitty Squier vs the Epiphone Pirates of the Carribbean SG.

GO

Gibsons were too heavy for many of the smaller stud guitarists of yesteryear, and they opted for the lighter Fenders. Clapton, Beck, Jimi, etc... were relatively small and ended up with Strats. Hats off to Page for holding a beast on his shoulders! Later, it was SGs and they caught on very well. Then the chambered and the weight relieved entered the field... I prefer the beefy heavy over 9 lb. Gibson LPs for maximum tone. When I play my Fender, I feel like I'm playing a cardboard guitar (not really). Now, Blackie's cat on the other hand... [smile]

I have found that Fenders are better at a wider range of playing. The tri-pup Tele clone I am currently building myself should make about 22 different sounds with a SD Lil'59 in the bridge, SD Cool Rails in the middle, and a full size SD SH-2 Jazz in the neck all with splitters plus a neck on switch. Plus I had the neck and body custom made since I've never found an off the shelf Tele that fit me well even though I love the guitar in general.

My Gibsons on the other hand are MUCH better for specific playing. Was playing along with Mick in Bad Company to their current Paladia concert with my LP and it sounded pretty awesome. And I can play more snarly blues on the LP or Lifeson ES-355 and it sounds great. Power chords are the forte of my Lifeson down to snarly blues and with those 57s it cleans up nicely. My R9 sounds OK clean but my Lifeson, Strat, and Carvin all sound better clean IMO. 57 Classics or a Classic/Classic Plus combo in the R9 would probably solve that. BBs are just too brittle - clean for my tastes but they snarl quite nicely.

I love Fender and Gibson. Wouldn't be without either.

Nor would I be without my Carvins. As I've stated elsewhere, if I don't know what I'll be playing I ALWAYS grab my Carvin CS6 as it will do everything good and most things great. Plus, with the relieved heel and tung oiled neck, it is just the best playing guitar I have. My Tele should rival it when I get it done.

I can $uck on all of them and sound amazing on all of them. They are merely the tools of the trade.

What I like the most about Fenders [and Carvins] is I can buy 'em cheaper. Neither of my Gibsons are worth what I paid for them. But they're 1 of 25 and 1 of 300 collectors models. I desperately need that Goldtop Traditional that's a little closer to being worth the money and unlike my R9 I won't be afraid to leave the house with it! Plus it has the 57s too that I tend to like better.

I also desperately want a P90 clad LP or ES. Some day . . . [-o<

My opinion is they have very different DNA and history....those first archtop round hole accoustics are something else, with echoes of Greek antiquarian lyres. Arguably the Fender Tele was created to satisfy a mass produced market for bolt-together instruments. And the Precision bass was a true work of original genius...

Archived