Gibson Brands Forums

My amp stand

ChanMan

Ok maybe not tomorrow, but....

Inspired by R9 (though not nearly the photographer he is...) pics of my Atlas stand:

2011-06-04_11-32-49_14.jpg

2011-06-04_11-30-43_858.jpg

2011-06-04_11-34-18_217.jpg

2011-06-04_11-34-47_592.jpg

Another segment in my review...

I finally got a chance to play last night. Gear was my Mahogany Strat straight into the Blues Jr.

I've already said it sounds great from in front of the amp, I also played last night from several oblique angles and didn't notice much difference in volume, or tone really, outside of the expected. As you can tell from my pics, the "stage" area my wife set up for me borders the "hall" area in my home, so I also played from behind the amp in the hallway. The surprising thing here was that, again, there was no appreciable drop in volume. Having done this with the old amp stand, and I'm assuming due to the angle, there would be a substantial change in both. My surmise is that the angle of the stand is more conducive to bouncing the sound off the far wall/ceiling and reflecting it back to me.

I'm going to move it into a corner at some point over the weekend, and I still haven't set up the pedal board to use the looping feature of the DD-7 so I can test it from further out in the house.

Still think it's an incredible stand and far better than the one I was using. I have the Nemesis N8 on the old stand and the Blues Jr. on the Atlas stand and there is quite a difference in clarity of sound between the two. As Shred said... I do not have ears in my chest or abdomen :D!

Awesome stand! Thanks again Josh... it really had been a pleasant surprise to hear the difference it makes...

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to start anything here.... :blink: I know you got ribbed about the Amp stand looking like a folding chair..... [biggrin]

but I have to say it.... Your Guitar stand looks an awful lot like a wicker stool! [flapper][woot]

Andy

I'll give an honest review, but don't expect me to be negative just to appease the haters. If I think it's awesome, I'm going to say it's awesome.

Having said that, I noticed the bottom board on the rack section doesn't appear to be planed evenly across the top. The ends of the shoulder strap could have been cut more professionally, but then I work leather, so that's something I would notice. It IS a prototype... so I'm expecting some one-off detail issues. Nothing I've seen so far would prevent me from purchasing an amp stand from Atlas.

Jury is still out on the room. I need to play a bit more and hear it from different angles. It is certainly better than on the floor, as I have a soft A frame stand that does that. I'm interested to see how it sounds out in the room, too, and will loop some riffs on my DD-7 and listen to it.

The differences between the new stand and the old stand are pretty obvious from an "immediately right in front of it" perspective.... listen to any sound source from directly in front of it or off to one side (or above or below, for that matter). The old stand pointed the amp at my chest. The old A Frame stand at my nuts.

Am I going to play out again at all would be a far better question. I'll say this for right now... my initial thoughts were that it would be too heavy to lug around, and so it would likely just stay in the living room. It is not, and could easily be ported around and set up on stage. It is also far easier to break down and secure than the metal stand.

Anyone else have questions? I'd be happy to answer if you're curious about any aspect of the stand.

Hi Chan,

I'm very happy that you like your stand, I mean lawn chair:) [razz]

It is Ash Wood, stained ebony, then sanded again to leave the veins black for the striped look. I think its a cool look, and Home Depot doesn't offer it:)

The reason the bottom panel is not planed is because i was trying to mimic an arch top. I sanded it to a dome contour on purpose.

The Shoulder strap is cut like that to look like the state of Tennessee, where I live. a trademark of mine, and I'm not a leather worker, the strap is simply a bonus, but since it works like a guitar strap it is easy to change out.

I would recommend a power conditioner or tuner for the rack space.

Being made of wood actually enhances the sound of the amps, not too many metal amp cabs out there these days, they make the baffles out of wood on all I've seen. Wood sounds better hands down.

We give our next free stand away on Wednesday!

Best to all of you,

Josh

Here's what they looked like last night to show the difference they make.

BluePlum235.jpg

BluePlum127.jpg

I noticed 2 things:

Reading what The CHAN said about the tone of the amp with the stand is starting to make sense. The carpeting would soak up a lot of sound and goes a long way toward eliminating standing bass waves that would travel along the floor.

*A "standing bass wave" is created along surfaces. The bass frequencies tend to gather on flat surfaces, and the result is not a reduction in bass like one would assume, but rather the other frequencies get goobled up by them.

So...it would seem to me that having a sound source pointed up at an angle that far would make the walls and ceiling more on an equal ground. In a space as small as a room in a house, I can imagine the effect would be a more even sound at more places in the room, because most sound you might get would be sound that includes having been bounced off more than one surface, as opposed to no surface or only one surface.

Now..another concept: When we are listening at a point where we are getting our sound directly from a source (speaker) we hear 2 sources: the original sound, and the sound bounced off of a surface. If the source sound and the reflected sound are close together, they affect each other, if they are separated, they don't have the same effect on each other. So..the sound you hear from a speaker SHOULD change as you move your head closer to a wall or further from a wall.

What I think may be happening is the way the amp is tilted up is energizing the room to a point where more places a listener would be located are the same, and hearing more of the room+amp rather than more of the amp at places, and more of the room at places.

Ahhh! I had not noticed that the strap mimicked TN! Clever, Indeed :) I was going to finish it off all guitar strap like, but am not now :D!! And the finish is absolutely gorgeous, Josh. I need to get more shots (with something other than my cell phone) to show it by the oak book case. All in good time :).

Yes, Andy... my guitar stand in that shot IS my in-law's old wicker topped bar stool. Kind of a piece of my wife's family history that she gave to me to use while playing. It also doubles as a cool holder for my coiled patch cords when they are not in use. Red for the BJ, black for the N8.

And yeah, Damian, not only is R9's photography better, but his carpet is in much better shape, too. We were actually in the process of reflooring the home when we were offered our new puppy's dam. She was not paper trained.... or any kind of trained, and just went wherever she wanted to. We figured it was the better decision to wait until we had her trained before continuing. All we managed prior to was the Hardwood floor in one bedroom and the carpet in the bathrooms. We have the carpet ready for another bedroom... but frankly, the wife keeps waffling between carpet, wood and tile on the living room /chuckle. Perhaps I should start a poll...... hehehehehehe.

Good luck Shred! I hope you win, as these are some BAD *** stands. I really didn't think it would make much difference, but it really really does!

I noticed 2 things:

Reading what The CHAN said about the tone of the amp with the stand is starting to make sense. The carpeting would soak up a lot of sound and goes a long way toward eliminating standing bass waves that would travel along the floor.

*A "standing bass wave" is created along surfaces. The bass frequencies tend to gather on flat surfaces, and the result is not a reduction in bass like one would assume, but rather the other frequencies get goobled up by them.

So...it would seem to me that having a sound source pointed up at an angle that far would make the walls and ceiling more on an equal ground. In a space as small as a room in a house, I can imagine the effect would be a more even sound at more places in the room, because most sound you might get would be sound that includes having been bounced off more than one surface, as opposed to no surface or only one surface.

Now..another concept: When we are listening at a point where we are getting our sound directly from a source (speaker) we hear 2 sources: the original sound, and the sound bounced off of a surface. If the source sound and the reflected sound are close together, they affect each other, if they are separated, they don't have the same effect on each other. So..the sound you hear from a speaker SHOULD change as you move your head closer to a wall or further from a wall.

What I think may be happening is the way the amp is tilted up is energizing the room to a point where more places a listener would be located are the same, and hearing more of the room+amp rather than more of the amp at places, and more of the room at places.

An excellent description of what I am experiencing!

Was not aware of the "Standing Bass Wave" phenomina, but it would explain some of the sound dynamics I've dealt with in the past.... thanks!

Yes, Andy... my guitar stand in that shot IS my in-law's old wicker topped bar stool. Kind of a piece of my wife's family history that she gave to me to use while playing. It also doubles as a cool holder for my coiled patch cords when they are not in use. Red for the BJ, black for the N8.

C'mon man... not even a little chuckle??? [crying]

C'mon man... not even a little chuckle??? [crying]

Hard to laugh... it was an astute observation and 100% true.

(well, except most wicker furniture is made of rattan...)

Maybe I should talk Josh into making me a matching guitar stand??

Ok. perhaps it was humorous, too.

/chuckle.

Hard to laugh... it was an astute observation and 100% true.

(well, except most wicker furniture is made of rattan...)

Maybe I should talk Josh into making me a matching guitar stand??

Ok. perhaps it was humorous, too.

/chuckle.

[biggrin] That's better! Don't want the CMan mad at me.

My only real problem with tilted stands is that any amp with knobs on the top are now completely hidden and hard to get to if any adjustments are needed.

It's actually a lot easier than one would think. I have no issues with my Blues Jr.... I think because the stand sits a bit lower than my old one, it's still easy to see over the top.

It's a very attractive stand... One question here though for Mr. Atlas or whomever.

I've gotten some pretty good "play" out of a 30-watter in a small saloon situation by putting it onto a bar stool, literally. That put it a bit above folks at tables and chairs and at roughly ear level of folks standing or ... sitting on bar stools. In fact, that way it was set at roughly the same "volume" as amps that supposedly are more powerful at floor level and sounded almost better because it didn't have legs or pool tables or whatever in the way.

So... any thoughts about a higher piece rather than just the tipped piece?

I keep thinking that for what I do, the best idea would be a high bar stool height "amp holder," then with a "drawer" for the PA amp and <grin> then a turn-out "music stand" type of piece to hold a laptop with songlist, jokelist... even a lyric memory jogger... Oh... and a coffee cup holder!

Believe it or not... the above is about how I like to set up for a solo or for my little corner of a group in a little joint if I can... Dunno what I'd do with that big 90-pound tube amp, though.

?????

m

Different venues require different positioning. Most of the pics here seem to show that they are using the amps as monitors at gigs, or just to make the controls more convenient for noodling around at home.

yeah, if you are looking for height over angle I can't do much, unless you wanna carry around a stand the size of a crutch.

There is a place for every piece of gear, a higher piece would be more like a keyboard stand.

We entertained the idea early on, but it got pushed back as thing progress.

Great idea regardless of the availability!

FYI the drawing for a free Atlas Stand is in the morning. Just post a pic to facebook and your in the contest. best of luck to all of you!

josh

Woohoo! Guess who won this bad boy?

Ummm...it was me. Me!! :) [thumbup]

Archived