Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Gibson acoustic

brannon67

I have 3 Gibson acoustics. How did obtain them, well, it wasnt easy. I had to trade, sell alot of my stuff that I wasnt using to get them, plus finance one of them for 12 months same as cash, so, Im not rich, Im just a working class guy, so there you go. I have one Epi, the John Lennon model, which I really like also. My Gibsons are: Hummingbird Pro, J45 Standard, and a AJ model. I love all of them, and I cant decide which one I like the best, because they all play and sound different, but always like a Gibson, which I have fallen in love with, after playing many brands over the years, Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, Ovation, etc. I guess you could say Im a Gibson man now for the rest of my life.

So, on the the question. What is your favorite Gibson acoustic, and why? Or, you like me, and cant decide, or pick?

My favorite Gibson acoustic would still have to be my 2010 Sunburst SJ-200 "True Vintage", but I must say that lately, I think a lot about playing my "Jackson Browne Signature - Model 1".

There is something special about that guitar. With its unusual specs (including a 12 fret neck, a 1.805" bone nut, an Adirondack Spruce top, and English Walnut back and sides with increased depth...) it is a very special Gibson, and playing it is a unique and unforgettable experience.

Jack6849

I'm the same as the poster, I'm a working class moron that had to beg, borrow, sell, and pinch pennies to get my beauties as well,

I have a 58 J50, and a 74 B45-12, and an 04 LP cherryburst.

My favorite of the 3 Gibsons is probley my 12 string, it has awesome tone like my J, and the extra set of strings brightens up the Gibson tone a bit which I just love! it's a sweet sounding guitar and it's playability is suprisingly easy.

Cool, so you go the JB model. Awesome. I know that is great guitar. How do you like the Trance Audio pickup system in it? Im thinking about having it put in my AJ model.

The pickup is only in the JB Model A, The Model 1 has no pickup in it. They are fantastic guitars!

Exactly, i feel the same way. But i remember i ran a poll that asked that same question and remember J-45 won overall by a decent margin from the J-200.

However if i did the 'fire in the house and only time to grab one acoustic' it would be teh vintage Contry Western as the others would be easy to replace, unlike the CW.

My Favorite Gibson Acoustic would be which ever I get to play at that time. They all have different qualities and uniqueness.

I'll cast another vote for the SJ-200. My True Vintage is a very gratifying guitar. I'm surprised at its versatility and how comfortable it is to play. It sounds great, too, but that wasn't a surprise.

To devellis:

Glad to hear you're liking your SJ-200 "True Vintage", Bob. If it's that one I saw at Dave's you've got a real beauty.That's a hard model to beat anyway, and Gibson's "True Vintage" Series guitars are in a class of their own.

Best Wishes,

Jack6849

Hard to say – haven't played enough. I would really like the possibility to try load of instruments over a weekend, 50-60-70 – same models as well. It would make a wiser, hopefully not confused, E-minor7 emerge on the other side. Well, guess it'll have to happen in slow motion instead. Still have the feeling the slope 45s/SJs are outstanding and highly original guitars. Regardless of incarnation, , , almost -

We are now into mid 1930s Jumbos of various types. What we have discovered is that some of them make even better bluegrass guitars than even the mid 30s Herringbones -- who knew?

Jumbo5s.jpg

Top row: 1935 Roy Smeck Radio Grande (converted) and 1936 Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe (converted)

Bottom Row: 1935 Jumbo, 1936 Jumbo35 (Trojan) and 1936 Advanced Jumbo

Let's pick,

-Tom

We are now into mid 1930s Jumbos of various types.
tpbiii I will never tire of those pics or info on the old Gibsons and others. Keep it up!

I'm very happy with the three I have now: '03 AJRI, '52 J-45, '53 LG-2. Each has their place but if I were somehow forced to keep only one it would be the AJRI. I doubt I'll sell any of these a the LG-2 is a very special little thing and the J45 is my last old Gibby + I use it on stage as it has a pup under the soundboard.

I love old Gibsons and owned quite a few over the years but favor this particular AJRI. I'm lucky that I got it.

I'm not rich and want to add that if you know our way about you can own many many nice guitars once you start for about zero dollars if you buy/sell right, including maintenance costs. But not for the inexperienced nor faint of heart. I did make a few mistakes but also enough good deals that it was basically 'cost free' once I bought the first guitar and the ones I've got now were other than the new AJRI in 2003, 'cheap'.

Everybody should find one guitar some day that they dearly love, it is a great thing.

Very happy with my J45, Blues King and '58 LG0. Perfect for standard tuning blues, d tuning blues and g tuning blues in that order.

The Blues King can be good for country pickin', and the LG0 good for Celtic moods, but the J45 can do pretty well anything asked of it, except practice without me!

BK.

I'm not rich and want to add that if you know our way about you can own many many nice guitars once you start for about zero dollars if you buy/sell right, including maintenance costs. But not for the inexperienced nor faint of heart. I did make a few mistakes but also enough good deals that it was basically 'cost free' once I bought the first guitar and the ones I've got now were other than the new AJRI in 2003, 'cheap

We have been very lucky with regards to vintage guitars. But this was "half a lifetime" labor of love for my wife and I. Starting almost 40 years ago, our entertainment was searching flea markets and pawn shops for old instruments. In the mid 70's, we figured out old guitars sounded great and new guitars did not.

Over the years, we allowed ourselves to us a small portion of our saving to buy old guitars (less than 10%) -- they seemed to be reasonable investments and we could make music with them.

For us it worked out very well. They turned out to be great investments, but that was never why we bought them -- we just loved the music they made and the history they represented. We are now retired,and music, musicians and instruments form the bulk of our social life. We find it a fine way to live.

Best,

-Tom

I love all my children equally....lol

Think I heard you talk of a Firebird Custom and know you have your good squire the L1. Are there more G.s or other interesting string-instruments in your herd ?

Just curious -

Archived