Gibson Brands Forums

What's your favorite guitar tone?

Silenced Fred

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't like my music? Oh noes, I am forever seeking your approval. Well, looks like I've let you down again. If you don't like fuzz, you can go take that fullbore metal an shove it up your arse! :D

[laugh]

lol Steve that's not even a burn. I'm not sure what to make of that.

BFMV is NOT metal. Dude... Your a middle aged bald man... I'm an 18 year old with hair down to my nipples. I practically invented metal.

you have nothing on me little boy...case closed.

lol Steve that's not even a burn. I'm not sure what to make of that.

BFMV is NOT metal. Dude... Your a middle aged bald man... I'm an 18 year old with hair down to my nipples. I practically invented metal.

I'm older than Steve...What does that make me? care to rephrase that?

For you reading enjoyment....

Where does Heavy Metal music come from?

It doesn’t really help to ask metal fans. They’re either too dumb or too messed up on the next line of six-packs to know. If you ask them, the ones with half a clue will tell you Black Sabbath, the band led by Ozzy Osborne. They’re right in one respect: Black Sabbath defined the darkness off the genre, with their satanic lyrics and the macho teen despair of their message.

Others will say, Judas Priest. It’s true in one respect: vocalist Rob Halford started the leather and chains look. He also happened to be gay.

Others will tell you it was Led Zeppelin. Certainly they were one of the early precursors, a band who rocked so hard that other bands were inspired to get that heavy. Many untalented groups joined the metal army after hearing Led Zep. Zep's John Bonham set the template for metal drummers, and Robert Plant’s high keening tenor yelp set the gold standard for metal’s vocalists.

Still others will tell you the inventors were Deep Purple, and here they are actually on to something. Deep Purple was the first successful band to consistently put out a heavy metal vibe, years before Black Sabbath existed. They were also a smart band, unlike most of their dumb acolytes: like Yes, they flirted with the idea of combining classical music with rock.

But they didn’t invent the music though.

i don't recall saying BFMV were metal? (check previous posts) but even if do think they are then that is my personal opinion...and the opinion of millions worldwide, and so what? it's music ffs! if you have at least a fleas eyebrow of tallent that they have then put it to good use...as they have :P

Uhhh. That makes you old.

You're not tellin me anything that VH1CR hasn't already told me dude [lol]

I already know that. And I have a way better grip on newer stuff like BFMV than you old fogeys.

typical 18 year old....always think they know everything. What I've forgotten, you haven't even learned yet.....

Uhhh. That makes you old.

You're not tellin me anything that VH1CR hasn't already told me dude [lol]

I already know that. And I have a way better grip on newer stuff like BFMV than you old fogeys.

show some respect to the "old guys"...you have nothing on us and can only learn from us [rolleyes]

I think I have quite a few things on you guys...

I'm just messin with you guys though. If I seem serious, I'm not. I do hate BFMV and know they're lame emo and not metal though. That is a fact. Just ask dem00n; master of all metal knowlege.

I can play metal though. And when I do, I do it with a Big Muff. The original scooped mids metal tone. Where's that headbanging smiley

Ah...it's all perspective, and perception. There was plenty of

S... "music," back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, and beyond! Just

as there's always been great stuff, too. What I have kind of a

problem with, is "over production," and too much reliance on gimicks,

or tech wizardry, in the studio, that isn't always sustainable "live."

I don't mind gimick's, for show (KISS, Lady GaGa, etc.) ...but, I don't

want talent represented, on a recording, that isn't there, live! That's all.

I think I have quite a few things on you guys...

I'm just messin with you guys though. If I seem serious, I'm not. I do hate BFMV and know they're lame emo and not metal though. That is a fact. Just ask dem00n; master of all metal knowlege.

I can play metal though. And when I do, I do it with a Big Muff. The original scooped mids metal tone. Where's that headbanging smiley

haha we should have a headbanging dude....I'm not a big fan of BFMV either but each to their own. Pretty crappy world if we all liked the samethings.

Music should be heard with an open mind, it should always embraced for what it is. We all have different tastes in music, some like headbanging, some like mellow Frank Sinatra music. If you can close the gap between the two then your a head of the game. Each used the sames notes and same chords. It's how we use the notes that make the difference :)

Wow I'm not even drinking lol

I'm older than Steve...What does that make me? care to rephrase that?

For you reading enjoyment....

Where does Heavy Metal music come from?

It doesn't really help to ask metal fans. They're either too dumb or too messed up on the next line of six-packs to know. If you ask them, the ones with half a clue will tell you Black Sabbath, the band led by Ozzy Osborne. They're right in one respect: Black Sabbath defined the darkness off the genre, with their satanic lyrics and the macho teen despair of their message.

Others will say, Judas Priest. It's true in one respect: vocalist Rob Halford started the leather and chains look. He also happened to be gay.

Others will tell you it was Led Zeppelin. Certainly they were one of the early precursors, a band who rocked so hard that other bands were inspired to get that heavy. Many untalented groups joined the metal army after hearing Led Zep. Zep's John Bonham set the template for metal drummers, and Robert Plant's high keening tenor yelp set the gold standard for metal's vocalists.

Still others will tell you the inventors were Deep Purple, and here they are actually on to something. Deep Purple was the first successful band to consistently put out a heavy metal vibe, years before Black Sabbath existed. They were also a smart band, unlike most of their dumb acolytes: like Yes, they flirted with the idea of combining classical music with rock.

But they didn't invent the music though.

Good question. I guess it depends on what you consider to be the primal essence of Heavy Metal... To me it would be a dark foreboding vibe usually accented by the use of the tritones and half steps. Given that I don't think it gets anymore raw and primal metal than Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. The opening arpeggiated "Devils Triad" is pretty much the earliest heaviest sound I remember. But turn me on to the early Purple stuff you're talking about I'd like to hear it.

Andy

Yeah despite my fuzz addiction, most of my playing is Telecaster into ac30 cleanness.

And my fuzziness is never really heavy. I just like the way it sounds.

I have had a tough time getting good sounds out of my ac30. Great clean tones, but even with some volume, I cant seem to get a decent break up. Its a great clean amp, but I like to get a little dirty. I would appreciate any tips.

I was asked a long time ago to research were my favorite music came from (at the time I was into Death Metal). After a lot of researching I decided it was with the blues. People like Robert Johnson are at the roots of just about everything I listen to today. The blues just had that depressing dark edge to it, that the best of the Classic Rock bands, took and distorted. I know I could go back to classical, and hymns, but I'm just going to were guitar really started to take off.

My favorite guitar tone is the buttery, slightly distorted, thick tone that you used to get from Clapton. My old guitar teacher used to call it "Clapton's Woman Tone".

I have had a tough time getting good sounds out of my ac30. Great clean tones, but even with some volume, I cant seem to get a decent break up. Its a great clean amp, but I like to get a little dirty. I would appreciate any tips.

I set my ac30 clean and then just use pedals for dirt. Other than that just crank up the preamp volume.

The AC30 and similar valve amps have their own take on break up

Often giving a meaty punch (cf Stones) rather than a compressed sustain like a Marshall, although Brian May seems to manage OK.....

Balancing amp gain with an OD pedal can provide some great tones....

V.....all gain, no pain....

:-({|=

Jnasty what kindof ac30 do you have?

I have the made in china korg type. My favorite way of setting it is on the normal channel with the preamp gain around 10 o'clock and the master dimed or lower if I'm just playing in my room or something. The normal channel bypasses the treble and bass controls but the tone cut is still active and I turn it all the way up for the darkest sound (which isn't very "dark").

Setting it like this makes it take pedals a lot better.

For a cool classic ac30 dirt sound, you should try running a rangemaster into your amp. I know Brian May did that and I think Rory gaaadontknowhowtospellhisname did it.

Archived