Gibson Brands Forums

Ribs

Silenced Fred

Guest FarnsBarns

Best ribs i ever had where cooked by a Zimbabwean friend. I turned up at 9pm and he asked if i was ready to eat. i asked if food was on and he told me it had been on since 3pm. He had poured an entire litre of Coke in an oven dish, added an entire garlic, chilies, lime and some other bits and peices, put the ribs in and put them in the oven for 6 hours. they weren't sweet as you might think but they were bloody good.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best ribs i ever had where cooked by a Zimbabwean friend. I turned up at 9pm and he asked if i was ready to eat. i asked if food was on and he told me it had been on since 3pm. He had poured an entire litre of Coke in an oven dish, added an entire garlic, chilies, lime and some other bits and peices, put the ribs in and put them in the oven for 6 hours. they weren't sweet as you might think but they were bloody good.

That sounds delicious! I put lemon juice on mine, they taste delicious. Rip off a little piece and the smoke ring is just gorgeous

Guest FarnsBarns

They were delicious. My dad *****ed, but they were just how I like em, had a little bit of a crust on the outside, juicy and moist on the inside

Are we still talking about ribs?

we smoke ribs [thumbup]

This is my preference too, oven-braised is OK but smoked has something that I like.

I do have to say that Rendezvous in Memphis does a great job on their Ribs and they are simply grilled.

Did up a couple racks last night myself.

I put them in a roaster, cover them with ginger ale (beer works great too but I like to drink my beer), put in tons of minced garlic, set the oven to 380 for one hour fifty minutes. Get the ribs on the BBQ immediately and char a bit. I like to mix up some bullseye sauce infused generously with liquid smoke.

Absolutely yummy and fall off the bone. Gotta be pork back ribs.

Dave

Who bbq's in the rain?

You sir are not a true BBQ fan! I have shoveled snow off my deck and stood out in a blizzard in the middle of a Canadian winter to have BBQ. Heck I have even ran out of propane on my BBQ and resorted to lighting a fire in my fire pit and grilling over open flame just to have that flame kissed taste! Anything and I mean anything tastes 100 times better when BBQ'd and 1000 times better if you marinate it for a couple days before grilling.

You sir are not a true BBQ fan! I have shoveled snow off my deck and stood out in a blizzard in the middle of a Canadian winter to have BBQ. Heck I have even ran out of propane on my BBQ and resorted to lighting a fire in my fire pit and grilling over open flame just to have that flame kissed taste! Anything and I mean anything tastes 100 times better when BBQ'd and 1000 times better if you marinate it for a couple days before grilling.

Yeah I'm not a hardcore BBQ fan. I love some good BBQ though.

This is my mash up method, its really easy just seams hard.

So of course do all your prep first, cut up all the toppings you want and be prepared to slap those toppings on fast! You can do this with a premade shell (bleh) or make your own dough (yeah!). If you chose to make your own dough make sure your roll the dough into rounds about 1/4" thick. You will need to grill or sautee any heavier toppings like chunks of meat or thick cut vegetables, as the key is to get the toppings to warm up and the cheese to melt before the fire burns the crust.

1. Liberally oil your grill, choice of oil is your preference I use extra virgin olive oil

Step 1 is the most important step of all, if your grill is not liberally oiled the dough will stick to it.

2. I grill one side of the crust to a nice light golden brown using the top grill, if you use the lower keep an eye on it so it doesnt burn.

3. Once the one side is golden brown I take the dough off the grill and put my desired toppings on the GOLDEN BROWN SIDE

4. Making sure the grill is still oily, place the pizza back on it, at this point you can close the lid to "bake" the pizza, but make sure to keep and eye on it as the crust will burn fast!

5. Once your toppings are melted and warm its time to enjoy.

Its really that simple! And I swear once you get the hang of it you will never order a pizza again, this is how pizza was meant to be.

Secret Tip: I cheat when I make my dough though, once its rolled out I go in about a 1/4" (rough estimate) from the edge of the dough and press it down to make a little "trough" around the edge so when the cheese melts it doesnt run off the end onto the grill, I had that problem a couple times when I first tried. The first one I made was my take on a BBQ chicken pizza and instead of using tomato sauce on the crust I actually used some Bullseye BBQ sauce (Grilled Onion & Garlic Showdown) and WOWEEEEEEEE if I didnt already have steak out for tonight I would be making this, so for dinner tomorrow now that I have been thinking about it.

Slow and Low is the only way to do ribs.When in Memphis many years ago I was talking to the owner of the Rendezvous-which has been voted in the past as having the best ribs in the world-and I believe it was 8 hours that they cook their ribs over a charcoal grill after marinating and then hand applying a wonderful dry rub.If you're ever in Memphis seek out the Rendezvous,their ribs are worth the plane fare.

This is my mash up method, its really easy just seams hard.

So of course do all your prep first, cut up all the toppings you want and be prepared to slap those toppings on fast! You can do this with a premade shell (bleh) or make your own dough (yeah!). If you chose to make your own dough make sure your roll the dough into rounds about 1/4" thick. You will need to grill or sautee any heavier toppings like chunks of meat or thick cut vegetables, as the key is to get the toppings to warm up and the cheese to melt before the fire burns the crust.

1. Liberally oil your grill, choice of oil is your preference I use extra virgin olive oil

Step 1 is the most important step of all, if your grill is not liberally oiled the dough will stick to it.

2. I grill one side of the crust to a nice light golden brown using the top grill, if you use the lower keep an eye on it so it doesnt burn.

3. Once the one side is golden brown I take the dough off the grill and put my desired toppings on the GOLDEN BROWN SIDE

4. Making sure the grill is still oily, place the pizza back on it, at this point you can close the lid to "bake" the pizza, but make sure to keep and eye on it as the crust will burn fast!

5. Once your toppings are melted and warm its time to enjoy.

Its really that simple! And I swear once you get the hang of it you will never order a pizza again, this is how pizza was meant to be.

Secret Tip: I cheat when I make my dough though, once its rolled out I go in about a 1/4" (rough estimate) from the edge of the dough and press it down to make a little "trough" around the edge so when the cheese melts it doesnt run off the end onto the grill, I had that problem a couple times when I first tried. The first one I made was my take on a BBQ chicken pizza and instead of using tomato sauce on the crust I actually used some Bullseye BBQ sauce (Grilled Onion & Garlic Showdown) and WOWEEEEEEEE if I didnt already have steak out for tonight I would be making this, so for dinner tomorrow now that I have been thinking about it.

That sounds so awesome. So does the dough get kinda crispy? I want to try that.

We used tp do it the same way until about a year ago when I got a pizza stone for the BBQ grill as a birthday present, It might just be the best present I ever received amazing crust with all the BBQ flavor and none of the burned crust or effort of getting the pizza on and off the grill.

Like Jack says, "Everything tastes better with bacon, even bacon."

I did ribs yesterday even though the California spring is more like winter. Rubbed and slow cooked with indirect heat for about 4 hours. They were wonderful.

That sounds so awesome. So does the dough get kinda crispy? I want to try that.

Yes it does, nice and crunchy. The biggest trick is timing it right so the crust isnt burned and the cheese not melted or some other funky way. The quote below is the best way, pizza was originally cooked in a fire heated stone oven.

We used tp do it the same way until about a year ago when I got a pizza stone for the BBQ grill as a birthday present, It might just be the best present I ever received amazing crust with all the BBQ flavor and none of the burned crust or effort of getting the pizza on and off the grill.

Jealous, what brand is it, I have been looking for a decent one for a while with no avail.

Us Americans are fat for a reason Steve.

Yeah cos you eat lots of high fat and cholesterol food like pork, beef and ribs!!!

Early death from heart attack or colon cancer anyone? [thumbdn]

Maybe time to treat animals with the respect they deserve? It is 2011 after all...good luck

Archived