Gibson Brands Forums

Giving up smoking - updated

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

Today is the first day of me giving up smoking. I had a cigarette first thing, then stuck a patch on. As bed times draws near I am really struggling.

Between me and the wife we get through about 30 a day and will save around £3,500 a year ($5000) if we stop, that should be enough motivation but I can't bare it right now!

Kudos to you!

Its extremely hard to quit, my Mother tried three times, on her fourth she was finally successful. My sister is on like her 7th attempt its been 6 months so she might be over that hill of cravings now. And I am currently trying to kick my habit that involved some green stuff. If you really want to quit but cant beat the cravings my boss took some drug called Champex that apparently makes smoking taste like stinky monkey butt, makes you want to vomit apparently, he said it worked wonders for him. Of course everyone is different though I have seen people claim that Champex did nothing for them.

Guest FarnsBarns

Kudos to you!

Its extremely hard to quit, my Mother tried three times, on her fourth she was finally successful. My sister is on like her 7th attempt its been 6 months so she might be over that hill of cravings now. And I am currently trying to kick my habit that involved some green stuff. If you really want to quit but cant beat the cravings my boss took some drug called Champex that apparently makes smoking taste like stinky monkey butt, makes you want to vomit apparently, he said it worked wonders for him. Of course everyone is different though I have seen people claim that Champex did nothing for them.

I can't have Champex for medical reasons. I am seriously considering hypnotherapy though. I was hypnotized once a few years ago to make me a better salesman. It was offered for free by my employer at the time. Increased my income 100% so I know I am a good candidate for it.

Hang in there man, it's tough, but worth it, not just from the money standpoint. I quit about 25-30 years ago after several unsuccessful attempts. My doctor told me a few years ago, that quitting smoking was the single most important decision I could make about my overall health.

I can't have Champex for medical reasons. I am seriously considering hypnotherapy though. I was hypnotized once a few years ago to make me a better salesman. It was offered for free by my employer at the time. Increased my income 100% so I know I am a good candidate for it.

There used to be a commercial on TV all the time where someone was doing that, used to have big huge seminars and stuff all across North America, Hypnotist Romane or something like that. There was a panflet that the Canadian government sent out last year for people looking to quit smoking and apparently the success rate of hypnotism is approx. 66% which is pretty dang good.

Good luck man, you need it. Im about to try myself, again. One more week and im of to work in the north sea for two weeks, with no smoke i hope. Man i love a good smoke after playing guitar, after a good meal, with a beer, it's really a drag to quit. But it's worse to end up with he serious health damage, and the smoke will catch up with us in some way if we continue.

Smoking is tough on the body,

If you have the chance to go see "Bodies" the exhibition of dissected human bodies and you see the lungs of a smoker it should provide you with additional motivation to quit.

There was a forum memeber on here by the name of Murph, he quit smoking for a year and used the money he would use for the cigs to buy a semi hollow gibson, forgot which model. Mabye you should do the same man!

Good luck!

I had a stent put in my heart to open me back up back in 2005. I had always promised myself I would quit smoking when Marlboro paid me to quit or I had my first heart attack. For some naive reason I thought for sure they would be able to fix me back up after my first heart attack. Well I didn't have the heart attack but came close, paid attention to my body and went to the hospital when things felt wrong.

I quit the morning I went to the hospital. Was it hard, well yes. Was it worth it, hell yes.

Good luck to the both of you. It is really all a mental game. As long as you seriously want to quit, you will do it. You have the control, nobody els has the control over you but you.

I am betting on you beating the habit.

Good on ya.. probably shouldn't say this on here but whatever...I am trying to give up smoking weed....smoked it every day for the last 25 years!!

3 days and counting...wonder if you can get patches for that? lol

I stopped 8 months ago with no issue. Daily smoker for about 15 years...its only a habit, not an addiction. Quitting tobacco is a whole different story...

I had a stent put in my heart to open me back up back in 2005. I had always promised myself I would quit smoking when Marlboro paid me to quit or I had my first heart attack. For some naive reason I thought for sure they would be able to fix me back up after my first heart attack. Well I didn't have the heart attack but came close, paid attention to my body and went to the hospital when things felt wrong.

I quit the morning I went to the hospital. Was it hard, well yes. Was it worth it, hell yes.

Good luck to the both of you. It is really all a mental game. As long as you seriously want to quit, you will do it. You have the control, nobody els has the control over you but you.

I am betting on you beating the habit.

I had a MD tell me that the physical addiction last on average 72 hours and then after that it was mental. I got hypnotized 19years ago and haven't wanted one since.

Hardest thing I ever did, and the easiest thing I ever did. I failed many many times to quit. What eventually worked for me... and made it the easiest thing I ever did... was to make it a HUGE PITA to smoke. Changed brands to one that was very hard to find (Carlton Menthol 120's), quit buying cartons, wouldn't stop and pick up a pack on the way home from work. Wouldn't smoke in front of the family, or indoors. Left my cigs in the truck so I'd have to go out to the garage and get them. By the time my quit date rolled around I couldn't WAIT to put those dang things down. That was 10 years ago and I've never looked back.

If I can do it, you can Farns. You're a lot tougher than any paper tube!

I used "the patch". It was a nicotine release sticker of sorts you would put on your arm, daily, to eliminate cravings. They came in different doses so you could taper yourself off.

When I would forget to put on a new patch daily, I knew I had conquered smoking.

I still have dreams about smoking though.

I also had an early onset diagnosis of emphysema when I was about 26. That's a real motivator, too. I didn't want a green tank dragged behind me by 35. I am 42 now. No tank. I do cycling alot and the lungs are doing great.

I quit back in 95. All of my Mothers siblings died of heart disease and all were heavy smokers. At 35 I found out I had a blocked artery and quit that day.

I got the blockage taken care of, joined a gym and lost forty pounds.

Throw those patches away and forget the hypnosis man. Anytime you feel like a smoke just have sex with the wife.

Everybody's happier.msp_lol.gif

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

I quit back in 95. All of my Mothers siblings died of heart disease and all were heavy smokers. At 35 I found out I had a blocked artery and quit that day.

I got the blockage taken care of, joined a gym and lost forty pounds.

Throw those patches away and forget the hypnosis man. Anytime you feel like a smoke just have sex with the wife.

Everybody's happier.msp_lol.gif

I don't think I can manage 15-20 a day!

Edit: hang on if I do that then I'll have to start again as soon as I finish.

I am a heavy smoker, and I tried to quit a year ago and was nearly successful. I had a few months down, and before that, a few more months.

The thing I would say is that, because you fail once, you can still stop. That's what they say.

And, I have a few good tips. The standard max patch is only the equal of half a pack a day. When it comes to the actual nicitine withdrawl and it becomes too much, 2 might do it. Better than reaching for a smoke when you are going nuts.

Also, I tried a anti-depressant called buprian. Many brands are based on that. It fills most of the nicotine receptors, preventing the negative chemicals released when you don't have nicotine, while at the same time releasing something that is released when you get nicotine. For me, it did nothing for the cravings, but it helped immensely with the negative emotional effects of quitting. IT ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE NO NICOTINE INPUT: if you are smoking or patching or taking in nicotine when you start it, it won't have any effect when you remove the nicotine from your system.

Archived