Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Composer.

Tman5293

Thought this would make for an interesting thread if there's enough people here who listen to orchestras. When you post your favorite composer please share an example of his/her work.

Anyway, my favorite composer is Hans Zimmer. The man is a musical genius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_C74ejc7aA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1Sn3li54I

Bach was a close second for me. msp_cool.gif

I'm a huge Beethoven fan; IMHO, the rock star of his time.....Still a rock star.......

I love Bach for his mathematically perfect music...Very pleasing on the ears........

I love Mozart for his beautiful music....I haven't learned how to post U-tube Links...

Handel's Water Music, done right, is my fave though........

In general it's gotta be Bach.

But I hear Moonlight and just veg out.

Want "program music," Wagner. Liebestod is probably the sexiest bit of music ever, and tends to make Bolero seem more like crickets or waves on the beach - none of which are bad, but...

A one-off is Liszt and Liebestraum.

Vivaldi... simple, beautiful.

m

With all due respect to the modern composers - I am a huge fan of Philip Glass and Steve Reich - they can't touch Tchaikovsky, Bach, Mozart, and Wagner...among others. I will be starting a thread here soon b**ching about why more people on this forum don't rave about classical guitarists playing Bach...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRcGdLaRbSo&feature=fvst

You mean like...

I think it's because so many of "us" simply can't identify with playing that much, that well, that memorized.

On Youtube, note half a million views of Part 1 (You've gotta listen all the way through to hear some incredible stuff.) But Part 2 has less than 20 percent the views. Why? I think because it's so far from the paradigm of the instrument held by most guitar players, even many exceptional ones.

One who plays single stop "shredding" and hasn't been exposed to "read this piece and play all those parts simultaneously" finds it, I think, an entirely different instrument.

Yet... "shredding?" Sheesh. How about in two directions at once?

Don't get me wrong... Joe Pass is totally different but in ways, the same.

m

I totally forgot John Williams for his score on the three original Star Wars movies, the Imperial March, omg such an awesome piece of music.

John Williams did a very good job 'adapting' Gustav Holst's symphony, "The Planets", to the Star Wars soundtrack. I find the original 'Planets' far more inspiring myself.

I would not give Williams any credit for originality just a +1 for his adaptive powers.

And yeah, the Imperial March is great...good choice.

Also echo Beethoven for the most emotional, Bach for the most ordered, Mozart for the most genius, and Hayden for being the father of them all. (He was Mozart's music teacher)

And of course in the American category: Lennon and McCartney (they reflected our heritage back at us), George Gershwin, Aaron Copeland, Duke Ellington, Frank Zappa (avant-garde, without the snootiness)

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Wagner

+1, despite his antisemitic tendencies and Nazi simpathy.

Wow...there are just SO MANY! But, a few:

Debussy,

Mozart,

Bach,

Beethoven, as well as most of the other "Classical's" already mentioned.

Lennon & McCartney (together, and on their own)

George Harrison

Dylan, Bob & Jacob, too.

Chrissie Hynde

Neil Young

There are so many others...

CB

Western 'classical' music is where's it's at for me [thumbup]

I have a lot of favourites - sorry! William Walton, Vaughan Williams, Igor Stravinsky, Benjamin Britten and J.S Bach are my firm favourites, recently I have developed a love for Gustav Mahler that is growing and growing as I write! - of composers who largely compose/composed for almost exclusively one instrument; I love Frederick Chopin (piano) and Leo Brouwer (guitar)...Brouwer is still alive too! I also admire another living composer called Lydia Ashton. She writes in many styles from pastiche to contemporary and also film/incidental music

Film composers - Howard Shore and John Barry for me!

This movement from Mahler's symphony no 7 has guitar in it! I was quite surprised to see 'guitar' as an ordinary part of the orchestra in a piece by Mahler!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48TwjgcHC08

For me Beethoven and Bach are, literally, in a class of their own.

The second-tier hosts many dozens who are all (considered as a seperate group) equally brilliant, so I won't clog up the system by naming them.

P.

And of course in the American category: Lennon and McCartney (they reflected our heritage back at us),

that is an interesting comment :-k

Do you feel their music is very American then as a whole, or in a specific area of their output? I agree that the rock n roll style they emulated, in their early part of their career, was a great tip of the hat to Black musicians such as Chuck Berry - but the other genres the Beatles mixed into their music, were combinations of old British folk songs and European classical influences IMHO. LOL to me it sounds very gritty and real ...i.e English!

Matt

p.s I know this may risk sounding snooty (I hope it doesn't!!) Ican see this thread having problems as the word composer is being used in a loose way and applied to anyone who has created music. I know it does mean that in one sense, but there is quite a distinction between a singer/song writer and composer! Oh no a can of worms has just been opened. Milo, Damian, you hold the fort! LMAO

I can see a distinction between a 'composer' and a 'singer/songwriter', but sometimes not so much.

I mean, it takes David Crosby as long to make a song as it does Mozart to create a symphony. He just happens to use a boat, a hammock, some other stuff, etc.

And what about Monk? Coltrane? The stuff they do, are they COMPOSITIONS?

And..And..I agree with the Beatles and the folk music thing. I don't see that the beatles really did AMERICAN music, brilliant as they were.

AMERICAN music is BLUES and JAZZ. It doesn't mean you are less American if you play country or folk, and it doesn't mean you are less British if you play blues and jazz. But, I am surprised how many musicians do not make the distinction and really truly understand the music that we have traded back and forth.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread. I would be composing some blues, except there really is no clear way to write it down, as it doesn't make much sense when you do.

Music is such a broad church.....

Some names herewith to add to the list of worthies already mentioned.....

Shostakovich

Prokofiev

Debussy

Saint Saens

Ravel

Chabrier

Robert Simpson

Michael Tippett

Poulenc

Bartok

Kodaly

Dvorak

Bruckner

Nielsen

Bernstein

Rodrigo

Manuel de Falla

Robert Farnon

Eric Coates

Moeran

Bernard Herrmann......

V

:-({|=

I can see a distinction between a 'composer' and a 'singer/songwriter', but sometimes not so much.

And what about Monk? Coltrane? The stuff they do, are they COMPOSITIONS?

These are excellent examples of the blurring of definitions that the last 100 years has created! I would say though, they are improvisations, not compositions.

So what is a composer in my opinion? This is only from my own perspective, but a composer strictly speaking - (obviously like any definition there are grey areas) - is someone who largely creates music for a variety of instruments and ensembles that are usually for instruments he/she doesn't play too. i.e a composer thinks away from their instrument and composes from their imagination - and not by what their fingers can do. Many composers either don't even play an instrument - if they do, they often don't play one proficiently!

People like Chopin who wrote mainly for the piano and Brouwer, who writes mainly for the guitar, are exceptions to the above and still composers, because their compositions are contrapuntal and orchestral in there scope and have enough meat in them to be obviously 'classical'

Also the name composer conventionally is a description to a person who creates 'western art music' (yes I know that term is a bit snooty but I can't think of a better one this early!) not just music that uses mainly three chords/simple harmonies etc, but music that is more complex emotionally and intellectually than popular music (used as an umbrella term again - damn the worms are everywhere damn this can LOL)

There are of course exceptions to the rule in the music of people like Nyman, who are essentially minimalistic, yet their music strays into the classical umbrella because the timbre and performance practice and what it implies, is of the classical tradition. It is 'serious' music (LOL @ 'serious' )

Matt

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

These are excellent examples of the blurring of definitions that the last 100 years has created! I would say though, they are improvisations, not compositions.

So what is a composer in my opinion? This is only from my own perspective, but a composer strictly speaking - (obviously like any definition there are grey areas) - is someone who largely creates music for a variety of instruments and ensembles that are usually for instruments he/she doesn't play too. i.e a composer thinks away from their instrument and composes from their imagination - and not by what their fingers can do. Many composers either don't even play an instrument - if they do, they often don't play one proficiently!

People like Chopin who wrote mainly for the piano and Brouwer, who writes mainly for the guitar, are exceptions to the above and still composers, because their compositions are contrapuntal and orchestral in there scope and have enough meat in them to be obviously 'classical'

Also the name composer conventionally is a description to a person who creates 'western art music' (yes I know that term is a bit snooty but I can't think of a better one this early!) not just music that uses mainly three chords/simple harmonies etc, but music that is more complex emotionally and intellectually than popular music (used as an umbrella term again - damn the worms are everywhere damn this can LOL)

There are of course exceptions to the rule in the music of people like Nyman, who are essentially minimalistic, yet their music strays into the classical umbrella because the timbre and performance practice and what it implies, is of the classical tradition. It is 'serious' music (LOL @ 'serious' )

Matt

Nail<---Hammer

And in the catagory of Classical Music, the winner is.... Mozart! I love the power and emotion of Beethoven and some of Bach's organ pieces really blow me away, but the volume of amazing music that Mozart wrote is awesome. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with modern composers after Stravinsky, and while I really like the Gershwins, I don't really consider them "composers."

Archived