Gibson Brands Forums

Customizing a Studio!!??

Rokkstar 2210

Ok guys,

as of this month, I now OFFICIALLY have enough cash to splurge on a Gibson Les Paul Studio...my question is to all you guys who just LOVE modding your geets..and to the luthiers..

how much does it cost to get the binding done on a Les Paul at a local luthier?? (I mean body, Headstock and Fretboard) [confused]

I know I'll lose my warranty when I do it..but is it the better option?? or will I have to wait up and buy a Trad??

Pickups aren't an issue, I've got a set of Classic 57s in my Schecter..so I can just swap them out [biggrin]

Ok guys,

as of this month, I now OFFICIALLY have enough cash to splurge on a Gibson Les Paul Studio...my question is to all you guys who just LOVE modding your geets..and to the luthiers..

how much does it cost to get the binding done on a Les Paul at a local luthier?? (I mean body, Headstock and Fretboard) [confused]

I know I'll lose my warranty when I do it..but is it the better option?? or will I have to wait up and buy a Trad??

Pickups aren't an issue, I've got a set of Classic 57s in my Schecter..so I can just swap them out [biggrin]

It'll cost a hell of a lot, if it's possible. The binding is one of the most time consuming and difficult parts of building a guitar. Maybe someone else can chip in with some advice, but I don't think it's possible.

Btw, a friend and I (we're both les paul fanatics) recently played a friend's studio for an afternoon and something just felt "wrong" about it... We're used to playing standards (now traditionals) and the studio's body just felt weird.

It is a good question, of course. And, it could be done.

But, doubtful you would want to, because it wouldn't be cheap. It would require at least a partial refinish, and new frets.

Also, regarding the difficulty when you compare the amount of work involved, you have to remember that the binding is added BEFORE the finish is applied, before the frets are applied, and before the neck is put on. There would be spots that would require hand work because the router would not fit.

Well Vignesh, If you really want the binding, build in 57s, and a non-chambered body, I'd wait and get the Traditional....

I'd also spend the extra hundred or so and get the flame top....( you've seen a pic of mine, I think..).....

I also have a Studio, I like it, but it mostly sits on a stand......

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

I don't know what luthiers charge where you are but here you could buy a custom shop reissue for what it would cost to buy that studio and do that work.

BTW, there's no headstock binding unless you are trying to emulate an LP Custom.

Ive seen it done a few times and it's possible but usually done by somebody that's really handy themselves and can do all of the work themselves. By the time you pay a pro I would guess your in the $1000 to $1500 dollar range at a bare minimum and after all that additional cost you would still have a Studio value wise when you were done. Just think about the fact that it would require a complete refinish, and a complete replace on the frets so your probably in the $500-$600 dollar range before you even get to the routing and binding. It's definitely doable but it would really only make sense if a studio had some kind of real sentimental value to you.

As a more realistic option leave the neck alone and have faux binding done with sanding or paint finish in a different color then you get the look of binding at a much more reasonable cost. Or if your really a fan of binding keep playing the Schecter until you can afford what you want or look in the used market.

Or you could just buy the Studio don't worry about the cosmetics of binding yet and play the hell out of it for a few years until you can afford a more $$$ guitar.

I don't know what luthiers charge where you ate but here you could buy a custom shop reissue for what it would cost to buy that studio and do that work.

BTW, there's no headstock binding unless you are trying to emulate an LP Custom.

How does where he eats help determine what Gibby to buy ??? Is it 'cause one should shop on a full tummy ??? [flapper] :unsure: [sneaky][lol] ....

The question is, Dubai now, or Dubai latter ????? [blink][lol] ....

Well Vignesh, If you really want the binding, build in 57s, and a non-chambered body, I'd wait and get the Traditional....

I'd also spend the extra hundred or so and get the flame top....( you've seen a pic of mine, I think..).....

I also have a Studio, I like it, but it mostly sits on a stand......

How does where he eats help determine what Gibby to buy ??? Is it 'cause one should shop on a full tummy ??? [flapper] :unsure: [sneaky][lol] ....

The question is, Dubai now, or Dubai latter ????? [blink][lol] ....

Thanks a load Damian..that sure helped

Yes, I have seen pics of your Trad...so I'm thinking after all these opinions it's better to wait..

by the way, I'm off to India for college on Tuesday..spend some time off with my family till August when college begins....so plenty of Geetar-Scouting to be done!! India is now a guitar hub!! so MORE Gibsons!! [biggrin]

Thanks for the replies people!! [thumbup]

I had a 2005 Studio and it weighed a tonne - 11.5 lbs to be exact. Awesome playing guitar! I completely customised it and got a local luthier to bind just the body. He charged me just £50.

It looked great, I don't own it now though, I gave it to my best friend

m_9cb1e7d20123343689be51973f7ef1cf.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

Everyone here has provided good and accurate advice. To do it correctly you would at lest need to remove the frets, remove the neck. Whoever did it might be able to route the binding without destroying the finish edge but it would be risky and very hard to do. As stein said, doing it without removing the neck and finish would require some serious, time consuming hand craftsmanship that would be extremely expensive to have done by anyone with real experience doing it. Doing a single layer binding on the top might be affordable, but once you get to the neck and head stock you will get into some cash...

Check out my thread on here called "Rebuilding studio to Custom" That should give you an idea of what is involved although I went way over the top it is still about 80 % of what you would be having done...

My advice is to either buy a Studio that sounds and plays good that you really like and leave it like it is or wait and buy a Standard or something with binding already on it.

Andy

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

I had a 2005 Studio and it weighed a tonne - 11.5 lbs to be exact. Awesome playing guitar! I completely customised it and got a local luthier to bind just the body. He charged me just £50.

DSC00310.jpg

That's a very good deal Matt, can you pm details of your luthier, I need one that cheap.

BTW, what did he/she do around the inside of the cutaway? Thick binding or the cap showing through?

Everyone here has provided good and accurate advice. To do it correctly you would at lest need to remove the frets, remove the neck. Whoever did it might be able to route the binding without destroying the finish edge but it would be risky and very hard to do. As stein said, doing it without removing the neck and finish would require some serious, time consuming hand craftsmanship that would be extremely expensive to have done by anyone with real experience doing it. Doing a single layer binding on the top might be affordable, but once you get to the neck and head stock you will get into some cash...

Check out my thread on here called "Rebuilding studio to Custom" That should give you an idea of what is involved although I went way over the top it is still about 80 % of what you would be having done...

My advice is to either buy a Studio that sounds and plays good that you really like and leave it like it is or wait and buy a Standard or something with binding already on it.

Andy

ANDY!! was waiting for you to post in this thread..yes I have seen the thread..huge fan BTW [biggrin]

Regarding the choice, I think it's best to wait.. [thumbup]

How about "Studio Custom" guitars?? some guy (don't remember your name, SORRY!!) had a pic of his Studio Custom put up.. [drool]

why can't Gibson release a limited run of these, you know, Studios with the frills(even if they're called Standards [tongue] )

You can buy a Pontiac Sunfire, and you can put Audi headlights in it, but it doesn't make the front end an Audi, it makes it a Sunfire with headlights in it.

Save for a new Traditional, or a used Standard and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Make sure you play it first though, of course.

Save up a little bit more and get used Std/Trad/whatever that is already the way you want it. There's good deals out there if you're patient.

By the time you buy a Studio and pay through the nose for binding, you could have already been playing a badass LP just the way you wanted it to be.

DSC00310.jpg

I would love to see a video of that being done by that guy. While I suspect he didn't make much money on the work, or maybe a favor? I suspect he might have some tricks up his sleeve and some techniques as to be able to do it so affordable.

I would love to see a video of that being done by that guy. While I suspect he didn't make much money on the work, or maybe a favor? I suspect he might have some tricks up his sleeve and some techniques as to be able to do it so affordable.

Matt is such a cool guy that his friend didn't want to charge him......Heck, I wouldn't have charged Matt....[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .....

Andy

But it can be done.

Just not by normal humans.

You and The Thruth are examples of such luthiers.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/custom-shop/16506-extreme-makeover.html

But it can be done.

Just not by normal humans.

You and The Thruth are examples of such luthiers.

http://www.mylespaul...e-makeover.html

Well thanks much but I wouldn't consider what I did to be an "Add on" more of a "Frame Off" modification. To try to do that without fooking up a nice finish would be tricky, risky, and I would imagine time consuming.... Starting with a faded would be easier.

I should also produce a finished product before anyone puts me anywhere near the "Luthier" category.

I would like to maybe some day take on the challenge of something like this. Just to see if I could..... ya know....

In this case I agree with the majority here in that the OP should just save and get what he is really wanting....

Andy

Well thanks much but I wouldn't consider what I did to be an "Add on" more of a "Frame Off" modification. To try to do that without fooking up a nice finish would be tricky, risky, and I would imagine time consuming.... Starting with a faded would be easier.

I should also produce a finished product before anyone puts me anywhere near the "Luthier" category.

I would like to maybe some day take on the challenge of something like this. Just to see if I could..... ya know....

In this case I agree with the majority here in that the OP should just save and get what he is really wanting....

Andy

Oh definitely. Most guys would say the guit. needs to be refinished, and it is cost prohibitive. Plus, you hack your resale value to pieces after such invasive mods.

Archived