Gibson Brands Forums

crazy valuation

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Perhaps I am behind the times but how is this heavily modded 56 gt worth $20,000. I saw a mint one for$17000 not many years ago. Does he think that because it's been turned into a 59 copy that it is somehow worth more?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1956-Gibson-Les-Paul-56-59-conversion-w-OHSCase-/160603577522?pt=Guitar&hash=item2564b81cb2

Not worth it, it's a mess and isn't remotely original, collector wise...........I recently played a real 56 Les Paul...He wanted only $21,000.00 for it...

It was 100% MINT.....with mint case......

It's been ruined. Non-original finish, hardware, etc - virtually nothing original on it. And a cracked headstock to boot.

Definitely worth something, but $20K is stretching it and the BIN is $40K. <_<

Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetching it!!!!!!!!!!!! Is an understatement! :rolleyes: Although the Pictures of the guy playing it does make it seem more valuable if I could look that cool..... [scared]

"Well what we have here is an original 63 split window corvette with a 1979 pinto modification and a cracked frame.... " "She's a beaut Clark" [laugh]

I wouldnt say its RUINED. The thing looks like a pretty sweet player, and I dig the new finish, but he would be lucky to get 8 for it. Sometimes people just like to list things to show them off. I listed a guitar priced at almost twice its value just to try listing. I even stated in the info that I had no interest in selling, and was listing for fun, but I still got comments from morons offering me half of what it is actually worth. Maybe the $20,000 starting bid is just to scare off all the tools that lowball.

If a crime has been committed here, it is that the pups were changed. While it was stated the guitar had a bad refin, at LEAST the guitar might have been made to be an origional '56 with a good refinish.

What kinda makes me wonder, is that he again makes the effort to change the pups from the 70's t-tops to new 57 classics, he changes the electronics, and then calls it a "'59" type job.

With the knowledge he seems to possess in his choices of how to restore this guitar, I wonder if in fact the finish was the origional to begin with.

While it seems every mod he list only serves to reduce the value, I bet it is still a cool guitar.

If a crime has been committed here, it is that the pups were changed. While it was stated the guitar had a bad refin, at LEAST the guitar might have been made to be an origional '56 with a good refinish.

What kinda makes me wonder, is that he again makes the effort to change the pups from the 70's t-tops to new 57 classics, he changes the electronics, and then calls it a "'59" type job.

With the knowledge he seems to possess in his choices of how to restore this guitar, I wonder if in fact the finish was the origional to begin with.

While it seems every mod he list only serves to reduce the value, I bet it is still a cool guitar.

I once did a 62 year old.....when I was done she was a 45.........get my point ????? [scared][flapper][thumbup]:rolleyes:[love] .....

He's chancing his luck.

It's lost all value as a collectible and my guess is he'll be lucky to get $10,000.

As it will have had to be routed to fit the T-Tops it can hardly be returned to '56 specs without a lot of work.

I strongly doubt anyone who is considering spending $20k - $40k on a Les Paul would look at that mongrel twice. It's a complete mess.

Of course it may play and sound fantastic but that still wouldn't justify the asking price.

P.

He's chancing his luck.

It's lost all value as a collectible and my guess is he'll be lucky to get $10,000.

As it will have had to be routed to fit the T-Tops it can hardly be returned to '56 specs without a lot of work.

I strongly doubt anyone who is considering spending $20k - $40k on a Les Paul would look at that mongrel twice. It's a complete mess.

Of course it may play and sound fantastic but that still wouldn't justify the asking price.

P.

I have a fully STOCK 1972 Epiphone I'll trade him for it.........If he'll toss in $5000.00 US cash.....

The damage was done long before this guy ever got a hold of it. All he did was put a decent paint job on it, fix the crack, and swap out the Norlin humbuckers for some 57s. I have seen much worse done to nicer guitars. Yes, the price is a little crazy, but the the git is still worth a nice chunk of change. I would much rather have it than a stock 70s Epiphone.

he's lucky I don't know where he lives... I'd beat him for destroying an otherwise valuable guitar... then I'd offer him $500 for it.

Reason being, is I could buy a stock Les Paul with a 50's style neck, then find myself a pair of original PAF's for less money than he's asking. The fact the only thing on this guitar that is original is the body and neck...and even that is questionable.

...The damage was done long before this guy ever got a hold of it.... I would much rather have it than a stock 70s Epiphone...

Yes; but he's asking for rather more than the price of a stock '70s Epiphone...lol!

Would you rather have that than, say, an all-original '54/'56 Custom? They can be had for around about the guy's mid-range asking-price. Or, as Farns has stated in the first post, an all-original '56 Standard? I certainly wouldn't.

he's lucky I don't know where he lives... I'd beat him for destroying an otherwise valuable guitar... The fact the only thing on this guitar that is original is the body and neck...and even that is questionable.

With respect, and as jnastynebr says, he wasn't responsible for the value-sapping alterations.

IMO the main culprit (if we can call him that) would be his friend who swapped-out the P-90s but we have to try to remember that this modification was done in the '70s when the collectors market had yet to appear and the current fashion was for humbucker-equipped Sunburst LPs. It's easy for us, now we have the benefit of 40 years worth of hindsight, to wag a disapproving finger but it probably seemed like a good idea at the time...

The second point you make raises the question; Is that the original maple-cap?

I know some GT's, when the finish was stripped, have been discovered to have had some nice figure/flame but that top - although it's not 100% clear from the snaps - would appear to be a perfectly book-matched piece of very nicely-flamed wood. Obviously Gibson weren't doing 'burst finishes at the time but would they have gone to all that trouble to make it such a nice top? Has it had a replacement when it was altered in the seventies? I have heard there were people even back then who were trying to make 'fake' 'bursts by putting on a nice book-matched top using older GT's as a base in the hope of scamming unsuspecting buyers into thinking they were getting the 'Real Deal'.

:-k

P.

The second point you make raises the question; Is that the original maple-cap?

I know some GT's, when the finish was stripped, have been discovered to have had some nice figure/flame but that top - although it's not 100% clear from the snaps - would appear to be a perfectly book-matched piece of very nicely-flamed wood. Obviously Gibson weren't doing 'burst finishes at the time but would they have gone to all that trouble to make it such a nice top? Has it had a replacement

P.

I had assumed a replacement cap. He doesn't confirm it though, does he.

I'm afraid I have to eat my shoe. I didn't read carefully. It appears the new owner did NOT make the alterations of the routing and the electronics, and I gave him a bad rap as a result.

And PIPPY, you are absolutely right about the crime of routing. It was legal by the vintage police in 1970. And, also, while this isn't one because the routes would give it away, there have been attempts in the past to refinish the top to pass off a goldtop as a flametop. At one time that would have resulted in a hefty paycheck by such a fraud.

The top would appear to be original, as can be seen by the routes for the pups.

But, back to what it is and what it COULD be, It can't be restored. Perhaps the better question would be what if some vintage PAF's and caps were installed, would it be an accurate representation of what a vintage Paul would be? The real questions then would be how original is the rest of the finish and what shape is that in? How are the frets? How much of the original wiring is left?

I'm afraid I have to eat my shoe. I didn't read carefully. It appears the new owner did NOT make the alterations of the routing and the electronics, and I gave him a bad rap as a result.

And PIPPY, you are absolutely right about the crime of routing. It was legal by the vintage police in 1970. And, also, while this isn't one because the routes would give it away, there have been attempts in the past to refinish the top to pass off a goldtop as a flametop. At one time that would have resulted in a hefty paycheck by such a fraud.

The top would appear to be original, as can be seen by the routes for the pups.

But, back to what it is and what it COULD be, It can't be restored. Perhaps the better question would be what if some vintage PAF's and caps were installed, would it be an accurate representation of what a vintage Paul would be? The real questions then would be how original is the rest of the finish and what shape is that in? How are the frets? How much of the original wiring is left?

Doesn't look like original wiring and it looks like the back has been painted.

We have an axe at home that was puportedly used by George Washington to chop the cherry tree. The only thing that has changed on it is that the head was replaced twice and the handle 3 times.

We have an axe at home that was puportedly used by George Washington to chop the cherry tree. The only thing that has changed on it is that the head was replaced twice and the handle 3 times.

That might actually be worth something if Clapton had used it.

What puts it in the realm of $20K is the nut swag and that Harley hat. That and the Fender strap. You reckon for another $50.00 it comes with instructions from the current owner? How many pics of YOU playing your guitar do you need to post when selling your guitar.

"Look, see how much fun I'm having? Look at me again. Dig the head work." [woot]

Should we ask if it comes with the oringal first replacement case? Better not that could push it up another 10 K.

My only response to this seller. "You seem to be so proud of it, you ought to keep it." [thumbup]

What puts it in the realm of $20K is the nut swag and that Harley hat. That and the Fender strap. You reckon for another $50.00 it comes with instructions from the current owner? How many pics of YOU playing your guitar do you need to post when selling your guitar.

"Look, see how much fun I'm having? Look at me again. Dig the head work." [woot]

Should we ask if it comes with the oringal first replacement case? Better not that could push it up another 10 K.

I think the oversized 80s glasses are included, that would explain his valuation. [lol]

The most outrageous price that I ever saw on a vintage guitar was when one of the Vintage dealers in Vintage Guitar Mag. was asking $90,000 for a '61 Sonic Blue Strat that just happened to be the same colour as John's and George's Beatle Strats.Even a rare colour Strat of the same vintage tops out at $70,000 so where sonic blue is a relatively common colour it was priced about double the market price.

Archived