Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar finish recommendation

rockman82

I've stripped the old white finish off of my MIM Strat, and I'm going to repaint it gold, in tribute to the Gold Top Les Paul, which is my favorite Les Paul out there. But I'm curious as to what type of clear coat I should use. Any recommendations?

100_3042.jpg

I've stripped the old white finish off of my MIM Strat, and I'm going to repaint it gold, in tribute to the Gold Top Les Paul, which is my favorite Les Paul out there. But I'm curious as to what type of clear coat I should use. Any recommendations?

100_3042.jpg

(daveinspain) is your man, maybe he'll come along and help you out [thumbup]

In all reality this is what the big wigs including Gibson use on a lot of there guitars.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Finishes_and_solvents/Behlen_Nitrocellulose_Stringed_Instrument_Lacquers/Behlen_Nitrocellulose_Stringed_Instrument_Lacquer.html

You can get away with using Krylon, Deft, Plastikote or a ton of other manufacturers clear coats in a can, but if I am not mistaken 90 some odd percent of those are an Acrylic based lacquer. Either can be used with great success, I believe in the early fender days they did Acrylic. The difference is Acrylic dries faster, apparently can chip off in larger chunks and does not go yellow with age. Where Nitro dries slower, chips smaller and goes yellow with age.

Since you stripped and are gonna spend the effort to paint it use the Nitrocellulose Lacquer and stay away from acrylic... The Nitro is easy to work with and will age and sound better over time.

My 2C's

By the way if you rattle can it. Warm the can in hot ( not boiling) water before you start spraying.

Since you stripped and are gonna spend the effort to paint it use the Nitrocellulose Lacquer and stay away from acrylic... The Nitro is easy to work with and will age and sound better over time.

My 2C's

By the way if you rattle can it. Warm the can in hot ( not boiling) water before you start spraying.

God has spoken!

Google it. There are photos.

small%20gold%20guy_0.jpg

That just became my computer background pic

Edit: Wow the DEA says gold and silver spray paint is particularly popular to huff...here its those computer duster things, they leave no evidence!

My 2C's

Thanks for the tip! That's going to help a lot.

I'm just going with what I've got right now. I have an alder body from a Squier, but the body's really thin and the routing on it isn't deep enough for a humbucker. What I've thought about doing is paint the front gold, and the back sort of like a dark brownish colour. And then have a cream line going around the side of the body.

The only problem I'm facing now is that I don't have a garage, and it's going to rain for the next week and a half. I'll probably have to put this project off until July. I'm wanting to finish it and play it so bad. I might get a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails eventually to put in it.

A couple more tips:

Be sure to practice on something BEFORE you commit spray to body, as metallic paints tend to show differently depending on how it lays down when you spray it. Especially if you are using a rattle can-you want to be sure the actual brand and paint type looks and works the way you want it before you commit.

Also, make SURE you have the wood properly sealed before you spray. USUALLY, it isn't a problem, but if and when it happens that the paint is lifting the wood grain, it takes a LOT of paint to and sanding to fix such a simple deal.

How about covering the guitar in gold leaf? I think I have seen that done before.

Thinking about it myself on a parts-caster. John

Member DaveInSpain did this.......

Archived