Gibson Brands Forums

Which amp to play at home?

The AC4's also don't have a headphone out. You might look at something like a Fender Frontman 15R, or maybe a Vox VT15, both of which would fit the bill with reverb and headphone jack. The VT15 also has some nice amp modelling as well.

1+ on the ToneLab route. Great for home use and makes a good effects unit for an amp when playing out. You can find 1st gen models on eBay for around $100-$150. I prefer the 1st gen because it's table top, not a pedal set up. There's the VC-4 pedal that can adapt to it to actuate things by foot and it has a volume, expression pedal. Those go for around $100. Amp modelling, several different reverbs, tremelo, rotary speaker, built-in tuner and headphones out. $200-$250 would buy a lot of options.

I might be bias, but I love my epiphone Galaxie 10. No headphone jack, but its a nice crisp sound and has a gain and master volume control and its got a lovely crunchy sound but does quiet very well.. Of course you can also turn it up a little bit and it will fill up a decent sized room. Read a review about it before I bought it and for the $200 new price point it said everybody should own one. I agree and though there not made anymore I picked mine up used but in new condition for $100 on craigslist.

I got an Epiphone Firefly 30 DSP based of the love of the Galaxie 10 because I wanted somthing louder but I just have a love for the tube amps.. The DST just sounds like garbage to me and I will probobly off-load it fairly soon for a tube 30 watt

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking for the same thing and ended up with a Orange Crush PiX Series CR12L. Its a 12 watt 1x6 combo with headphone jack. Cost $99. No reverb, though. For reverb, I add a Holy Grail to the mix (same thing I do when I don't need a headphone - I add the Holy Grail to my Vox AC4TVH). For built-in reverb, you might consider Orange's CR20LDX 20W 1x8. It's around $179.

• 1 month later...

I might be bias, but I love my epiphone Galaxie 10. No headphone jack, but its a nice crisp sound and has a gain and master volume control and its got a lovely crunchy sound but does quiet very well.. Of course you can also turn it up a little bit and it will fill up a decent sized room. Read a review about it before I bought it and for the $200 new price point it said everybody should own one. I agree and though there not made anymore I picked mine up used but in new condition for $100 on craigslist.

I got an Epiphone Firefly 30 DSP based of the love of the Galaxie 10 because I wanted somthing louder but I just have a love for the tube amps.. The DST just sounds like garbage to me and I will probobly off-load it fairly soon for a tube 30 watt

I have a Galaxie 10 also (see separate post for info that I found just after I posted) that I also bought off Craig's List... for $125 :( I like it very much as well. The Galaxie is a nice lil tube amp, especially now that I re-tubed the pre-amp. Tube amp is the ONLY way to go for tone. I spent much time and money discovering that tubes are the only way to tone some help from guitarplayer forum and from my friends over at thestringnetwork.com as well, a great bunch of guys there btw. Oh, for gypsyseven, it's a 10W, 8 inch speaker tube combo with minimal controls.

I use a Genesis III when I want headphones ($40 or $50 on ebay) and that does pretty well imho. If gypsyseven hasn't bought a practice amp yet, he could consider an amp sim. imho, the Genisis III does a fine job with a lot of different amp/spkr sims as well as some effects.

I have a couple of Epi Valve Jrs (one combo, one head'n'cab) ...... no headphone out, no reverb, volume knob only, but...that's what I play through...I do have a crappy 15w ss Epi amp that does have both features, but it's rarely used. 99% of the time, I plug'n'play through the VJ, or run my Digitech RP350 into the VJ, allowing me to have reverb and a whole lot more (and the RP has a headphone line out, but it's obviously not using any of the amp's tone)....

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Epiphone Valve Jr at home in my small house, a BC 30 if I go out-but I am getting too old to cart around a 75 lb amplifier. I have yet to find a moderately priced amp that gives me the sound of the BC 30, LP Std thru that amp is wonderful!

I bought the BC 30 in 2006, put some upscale tubes in it and it really rocks!

• 1 month later...

I actually run my BC30 through a THD hotplate to get bedroom levels but obviously you still lose a lot of the bite, chime and fullness of sound when attenuating amps...other than that when I'm at my girlfriends house I use my old fender squire 15watt....man that little sucker is loud, separate volume, gain and master volume too and headphone out! Winner...if I need verb or anything else I just run through my old L6 Pod 2! Would love a little valve junior though!

Archived