Gibson Brands Forums

influence & genres

chris.

i can honestly say i will listen to every type of music and find something interesting and inspiring/influential for me in it. My favorite would have to be blues rock example the black keys and whatever you consider the red hot chili peppers hahah dont really know what they are considered anymore:) how bout you guys? are you genre tolerant? and whats your favorite?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farnsbarns

There's no genré I can say I don't like. There's many artists I don't like. And with certain Genrés there's very few that I like.

For example, Rap/Hip Hop. I like the Beastie Boys, Some Run DMC, Cyprus Hill and The Streets but that is about it (Of course there'll be plenty I haven't heard)

Rock/Blues is my passion, The Doors, Led Zep, Jimmy H, Jools Holland, Robert Johnson, BB King, Big Bill Broonzy, See Sick Steve, Black Keys etc etc etc.

It's very easy to flippantly say "I don't like Hip Hop" in conversation. It is rarely the entire truth.

how bout you guys? are you genre tolerant? and whats your favorite?

I really believe I am influenced by everything, even the music that I don't consciously love, I am sure still gets inside and works it's way in there.

My favourite genres are Contemporary classical (music written between about 1920 and current stuff), particularly big works for orchestra but also small string ensembles , Baroque keyboard music, Romantic piano music, Gypsy Jazz, Big band jazz, rock 1967 to about 1972 (my favourite five years in the history of 'pop music') I also love all kinds of folk and blues and the odd heavy rock/metal guitarist like John 5. I am also a huge Randy Rhoads fan [thumbup]

great thread

Matt

Only type of music I never got into was that REALLY whiny country music, I don't care if your Ford truck broke down (your fault for buying a Ford :P) it sucks your dog ran away, but seriously your so depressing I can see why! and lastly don't cry because your bottle of Jack is empty just get on the lawnmower and drive her to the liquor store (I have seen this before many times) to me this really wasn't music, but most definitely this isn't all country music. Blues is a different story because it makes you feel the emotions, whereas the country I was referring to is more like a musical story of complaint.

Other then that anything and everything is fair game, from Metal all the way back to Classical (Mozart, Bach, ect) music like any other true art form can only be truly enjoyed if you have no bias

Only type of music I never got into was that REALLY whiny country music, I don't care if your Ford truck broke down (your fault for buying a Ford :P) it sucks your dog ran away, but seriously your so depressing I can see why! and lastly don't cry because your bottle of Jack is empty just get on the lawnmower and drive her to the liquor store (I have seen this before many times) to me this really wasn't music, but most definitely this isn't all country music. Blues is a different story because it makes you feel the emotions, whereas the country I was referring to is more like a musical story of complaint.

Other then that anything and everything is fair game, from Metal all the way back to Classical (Mozart, Bach, ect) music like any other true art form can only be truly enjoyed if you have no bias

i feel the same way about alot of scremo bands i dont see the point in scremo but alot of the times they have decent guitar riffs

I appreciate virtuosity in music regardless of the genre,that is except for rap,hip-hop and heavy metal.I particularly like Indian sitar music like that of Ravi Shankar and classical guitar music from the likes of Elliott Fisk,Julian Bream and John Williams.Elliott Fisk does a CD where he has transposed all of Paganini's 24 Caprices for guitar.It would behoove any guitar player to pick up a copy of that CD and give a listen to fretboard pyrotechnics without effects or studio manipulation of the tracks.The CD is titled Nicolo 24 Caprices Eliot Fisk guitar and is released by The Musical Heritage Society catalogue NO.513555Y.

Whenever anyone says "I listen to everything," I ask two things:

What's your favorite black metal band?

and

What's your favorite EBM group?

i can listen to everything, i dont but i can. hahaha but i mean theirs always something interesting to learn and take from every musical piece even if it sucks hahaha

I just can't pass up a straight line!

Actually my biggest influence was all my uncles and my dad sitting around playing C&W stuff every weekend.

When I got off on my own, I HATED C&W.....but since it was ingrained in my head, I came back to it..... so Hank Williams, Faron Husky, Lefty Frizzell...etc...etc...etc....

Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Randy Rhoads

Jimmy is my biggest though, I grew up listening to these bands so it was my first step into music and I am glad it was a smart one, I never bothered with the pop bands and stuff that kids, teens and even tweens are so in love with. Just to let you know how much I love Zeppelin I watched there 2-Disc DVD of live performance straight through both yesterday and the day before cause my cable was out!

Archived