Gibson Brands Forums

My MM isnt saying in tune.

dem00n

I changed the strings a week or 2 ago and i noticed that it doesn't want to stay in tune when its in standard tuning. Ive never had this problem before with my melody maker, its all set up and i even put that sauce stuff at the nut to keep it in tune. Mabye its time for a new nut? Replace the shitty plastic one for a nice bone or brass nut?

I have it tuned right now in a alternate higher tuning it and it doesn't go out of tune, i really dont know what the **** is happening.

Thanks.

I know you've probably kept an eye on it but, seeing as the whole of the US has been experiencing some odd weather patterns (friends in texas had 7 straight around 105f, it got to 103 up here), might the temperature be messing with it?

Though the nut could definitely be a problem.

I know you've probably kept an eye on it but, seeing as the whole of the US has been experiencing some odd weather patterns (friends in texas had 7 straight around 105f, it got to 103 up here), might the temperature be messing with it?

Though the nut could definitely be a problem.

That could be it, but i never had a problem like that before with temp.

Sits on the stand and goes outta tune? Sharp or flat? All of 'em or just the thicker ones? Data MAN, we need DATA.

rct

It's on a wallhanger and it goes out of tune. Goes out of tune flat, the D and G string go out of tune the worst. Sometimes E will stay in tune no problem.

It's on a wallhanger and it goes out of tune. Goes out of tune flat, the D and G string go out of tune the worst. Sometimes E will stay in tune no problem.

A/C blowing on it? Sun hit it from the window?

Change gauge last time?

What's yer nut look like? Is your slot maybe a little long and big? Did you read those two and not snicker?

I don't know how many days you've been playing. You stretch them out good? I'm sure you do, but maybe not 100% sure.

I played a couple of those last time in GC. You got stock machines on it? They blow and they can slip.

rct

A/C blowing on it? Sun hit it from the window?

Change gauge last time?

What's yer nut look like? Is your slot maybe a little long and big? Did you read those two and not snicker?

I don't know how many days you've been playing. You stretch them out good? I'm sure you do, but maybe not 100% sure.

I played a couple of those last time in GC. You got stock machines on it? They blow and they can slip.

rct

No A/C blowing on it, no sun for the window.

I think the nut is to short, the Low E string is out and the you can touch the A to, dont know if thats normal.

Yeah i stretch em good, they are pretty much set in already.

What are stock machines? [lol] Mines the discounted 2 pup model from 2006 if im correct.

No A/C blowing on it, no sun for the window.

I think the nut is to short, the Low E string is out and the you can touch the A to, dont know if thats normal.

A nut slot should be no more than half the depth of the string that sits in it. For my skinny strings I don't even slot them, I let my massive strength as I power through flurries of fiery arpeggiated molten riff madness cut the slots on the skinny strings, that's how little slot you actually need. Enough to stop the string from vibrating and hopefully keep it from slipping out when you overbend your way through another KlassiK RoKK opus.

Yeah i stretch em good, they are pretty much set in already.

k, had to ask.

What are stock machines? [lol] Mines the discounted 2 pup model from 2006 if im correct.

T00ners. Tuning Machines. Machines. Machine Head. MAN, you friggin kids.

So yes, whatever they put on even their expensive guitars, if it doesn't have the word Grover across the top of it, pretty much SUCKS. Whatever the cheapest knock off of the original dirt cheap Tulips is is probably awful, and probably whats on there.

No offense to the company that hosts us but really, Grover prolly made a fortune couple times over from me alone, and that goes for the other Great American Guitar Maker too.

rct

A nut slot should be no more than half the depth of the string that sits in it. For my skinny strings I don't even slot them, I let my massive strength as I power through flurries of fiery arpeggiated molten riff madness cut the slots on the skinny strings, that's how little slot you actually need. Enough to stop the string from vibrating and hopefully keep it from slipping out when you overbend your way through another KlassiK RoKK opus.

k, had to ask.

T00ners. Tuning Machines. Machines. Machine Head. MAN, you friggin kids.

So yes, whatever they put on even their expensive guitars, if it doesn't have the word Grover across the top of it, pretty much SUCKS. Whatever the cheapest knock off of the original dirt cheap Tulips is is probably awful, and probably whats on there.

No offense to the company that hosts us but really, Grover prolly made a fortune couple times over from me alone, and that goes for the other Great American Guitar Maker too.

rct

It's the "Gibson Deluxe" tuners, your saying i should change em huh?

It's the "Gibson Deluxe" tuners, your saying i should change em huh?

When I gigged, no guitar kept its stockers for more than a couple hours, unless they were Grovers. Which in the 70's did happen, I think my L6 was Grover'd stock. Fedners too, I Grover them immediately.

I don't gig now, so I'm a little more tolerant, my SG has the stock Tulips on it just fine.

If you plan to take the thing out, I'd change them. If the outta tuneness you are having now is slipping t00ners, yer gonna hate the first night out with that thing.

Your trouble is that a set of Grovers is not only worth more than that guitar, but they probably weigh more than that guitar! [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Cracked myself up.

rct

My daughter has the same exact guitar ar yours, and we have no issues with tuning at all [confused] .... Granted all our guitars go in every year (September) to my Luhtier for a string change and whatever else that needs to be done....

Anywhoo what strings are going out of tune???

Guest farnsbarns

How long have you had it? If it's less than a year and this is the first summer you've had it I'd put money on the truss rod needing a tweak back slightly.

Edit: if it's twisting or getting a bump have the strings off and slacken the truss rod for a week, tighten it all up again. That'll often cure a bump or twist.

Edit2: not likely a bump as that's a type of back bow which would mean it'd to Sharp.

How long have you had it? If it's less than a year and this is the first summer you've had it I'd put money on the truss rod needing a tweak back slightly.

Edit: if it's twisting or getting a bump have the strings off and slacken the truss rod for a week, tighten it all up again. That'll often cure a bump or twist.

Edit2: not likely a bump as that's a type of back bow which would mean it'd to Sharp.

Ive had a for about two years now, ill check how the neck is again.

So If you tune the guitar and hang it up it goes flat when you go back to play it later? If this is the case then you are getting string slippage somewhere. Either the tuning keys are slipping ( those tuners do blow) or the string is slipping on the tuning post. How much or little string is wrapped around the post. How much of the cutoff is still sticking out of the post hole? Like I said in another post I was getting bad batches of D'addarios that had the same problem. Could just be a bad set of strings.

Also when you tune do you always make sure you are tuning up to get them to pitch? If not try this. Tune up a little sharp and then tug the string until it goes flat and tune up again. keep doing this until you can tune up to pitch, tug the string a bit and have it stay in tune. You never want to tune down to hit pitch... Always up. That way you are putting tension on the string and tuning key and it will stay in tune much better.

Hope this helps.

Andy

So If you tune the guitar and hang it up it goes flat when you go back to play it later? If this is the case then you are getting string slippage somewhere. Either the tuning keys are slipping ( those tuners do blow) or the string is slipping on the tuning post. How much or little string is wrapped around the post. How much of the cutoff is still sticking out of the post hole? Like I said in another post I was getting bad batches of D'addarios that had the same problem. Could just be a bad set of strings.

Also when you tune do you always make sure you are tuning up to get them to pitch? If not try this. Tune up a little sharp and then tug the string until it goes flat and tune up again. keep doing this until you can tune up to pitch, tug the string a bit and have it stay in tune. You never want to tune down to hit pitch... Always up. That way you are putting tension on the string and tuning key and it will stay in tune much better.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Theres around 3-4 wraps on each peg for each string, expect E.

I'll try what you said, sounds like a good diea.

I have a MIM Telecaster, that was doing that, until I set it up, myself!

(It was "supposed" to have been done, at the dealer.) Now, it's rarely

out of tune, save if it hasn't been played, in awhile. All my guitars,

will vary, if left in the case, or gigbag. They all need some time,

when brought out to play, to "settle down," tuning wise. After that,

they all stay in tune, pretty well. The only exception, is playing out

of doors, in various conditions! That will wreak havoc, at times.

I have found, that humidity, effects them, more than temp changes...unless

they're quite drastic.

Cheers,

CB

The MM is a great little guitar but the nut and the tuners both have to be changed out if your really gonna seriously going play them. they are just to light weight to really hold string tension especially if you bend or pull strings at all.

I have a worn black stock two pickup melody maker on my bench right now for new tuners, a bone nut a complete rewire and a rebuild and rewind on the pickups. It's beens sitting there for a few days while I debate a refinish with myself.

Archived