Gibson Brands Forums

Sounds Of The Planets.

Tman5293

Being music lovers, I thought some of you guys might enjoy this. These are the sounds created by the planets in our solar system. Though since space is a vacuum you can't have sound like you do on Earth. Instead these are recorded by taking the electromagnetic vibrations created by the planets and converting them in to audible sound. Really blows my mind:

Saturn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_LChpv_Dc0

Jupiter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fqE01YYWs&feature=related

Pretty neat. I wonder how many people actually listen all the way through though? And how come Saturn only get 2 minutes while the other planets get 10 minutes worth of "music"? [unsure]

Obviously Steve hasn't checked this post out yet, or he would have made a comment about the sounds coming from Uranus [lol]

Pretty neat. I wonder how many people actually listen all the way through though? And how come Saturn only get 2 minutes while the other planets get 10 minutes worth of "music"? [unsure]

Obviously Steve hasn't checked this post out yet, or he would have made a comment about the sounds coming from Uranus [lol]

Sorry Saturn, I couldn't find the ten minute video. msp_flapper.gif

EDIT: I just found the ten minute video for Saturn. I replaced the original 2 minute video in the OP.

Sorry Saturn, I couldn't find the ten minute video. msp_flapper.gif

EDIT: I just found the ten minute video for Saturn. I replaced the original 2 minute video in the OP.

Thanks, now I feel obligated to listen to the entire thing :rolleyes:

I thought this was going to be a post about the musical composition "The Planets" by Gustav Holst-a fabulous work by the way and well worth checking out for his interpretation of the planet's sounds.These recordings made by NASA are very eerie to say the least.

I have one question. 7th grade science taught me that sound does not travel through a vacuum. 7th grade science taught me that space is a vacuum.

How the heck can they 'record' the sounds made by a planet.

:unsure:

If only Carl Sagan were alive we would know the answer. [crying]

I have one question. 7th grade science taught me that sound does not travel through a vacuum. 7th grade science taught me that space is a vacuum.

He kind of wrote how at the top.

:unsure:

If only Carl Sagan were alive we would know the answer. [crying]

If you read the OP I explained how it works.

thanks, that was very cool. I browsed around YouTube a bit and read up that these recordings have been around since 1979 when Voyager was sent out into space...

And released on a multi-CD set by NASA in 1992.

So if you want the full deal I guess that's for sale somewhere... LOL

One video/tape of Neptune made by the Mariner 9 .... reminded me of a Queen song on Made in Heaven ("Untitled" track 13) ... I wondered if it shouldn't have been Mercury making that sound....

msp_tongue.gif

Linda

Archived