Gibson Brands Forums

Riots in England

Guest Farnsbarns

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farnsbarns

It's almost like the scum are working as a strange collective consciousness!

I have jut offered my services in investigating social media and other digital comms services to Croydon Police and the MET at large. I do hope they take me up on the offer. Let me at 'em!

Praying for ya'll as well as those (not) involved loosing properties and livelihood.

Riots of this scale are a touchy proposition. While a "civilized" society you would think should be able to have the resources and knowledge to handle it, it could easily and quickly get out of hand to where the police AND your armed services are outnumbered.

I understand that the looters and thugs are ortganizing their activities with the use of "social media" like facebook. Ah, technology.

They did a similar thing here during the stanley cup and let me tell you the backlash towards those people has been nuts, one of the kids families had to leave there house because people found out via facebook where he lived and stuff. All of the people who used social media sites like this in out 2011 Riot were all apprehended within a couple days. VERY huge mistake on there behalf; however being stupid young punks like you described (and most rioters are) this is not surprising.

The large guitar shop and studios in Croydon, RockBottom, has been smashed to pieces, looted and set on fire.

This is one step over the line, sweet jesus! Never should you destroy instruments out of hate, only out of putting on a badass rock and roll concert!!

I dont know what you guys have across the pond but here in Canada we have what is known as the Riot Act (UK must have something similar since you're a part of the commonwealth) Once read basically is marshal law, its decreed right in the act anyone arrested for non compliance after its read can face a life sentence in jail...is life in prison really worth a nights debauchery because your a little pissed off? People need to learn to grow up big time.

Guest farnsbarns

Just from my experience, the part-timers who are less than fully-trained around here usually are put into areas where they're handling less volatile police drudgery.

m

I think that should be the case here. The only distinguishing feature for a special is a four digit number on their shoulder as opposed to three digits and a tiny badge on their chest. I only know that because I was told recently by a special. He polices the centre of Croydon, the area with all the night clubs and Friday night punch ups regularly. They are deployed exactly as regular officers are. BRAVE!

Whilst I was typing this I just watched an incredibly brave, or stupid, BBC reporter walking up to looters in Clapham and asking them if they are proud of what they are doing. Amazingly one girl stopped for a chat, all be it with her back to the camera and said they "Is gettin' dere taxes back i'nit". What? I'm staggered, she's out at 11pm carrying goods out of an electrical store with her face covered, I wonder what job she might be going to tomorrow morning?

Guest farnsbarns

Well, I don't know what to say, my home town is simply destroyed, as are many other areas of London, Birmingham and Liverpool. The economic damage is likely to ruin many local and national businesses, already stretched by world wide recession, including my own.

We have lost some historic buildings and all faith in the youth of our cities, the authorities and government.

The indiscriminate burning of buildings, including peoples homes, some of which simply must have had residents in them continues and is getting worse.

I have sent out an email to 180 members of a local club I am involved in and am waiting to hear if everyone is OK and accounted for. I just can't bare it. My wife and I have decided we are moving out of London back to the country from whence we both came.

I hope everyone on here is OK, please pipe up and let us know.

ne14t?

.... As I learned in my high school English history class - yup even "Americans" might have had such a class in the olden days - the riot act preceded the war that separated the English and U.S. governments. As a result, there are bits and pieces of it in federal and various state codes to this day. Canada and, I believe Oz, have had material a bit closer to the original.

The original act, already modified by precedent, was repealed in the UK in 1973. The original, btw, dates back to 1715. As I understand it, there then were taxes added to the area where the riot occurred to cover damages to buildings and such. However, in an era when so many in "modern enlightened western" nations have large populations of persons who pay no taxes, that additional disincentive to riot has also been lost.

Unique in ways to the riot act is that it had to be read aloud, hence the longtime term in Anglophone nations of "reading the riot act" to someone. Initially if rioters did not disperse within an hour, the authorities could not be sued or otherwise legally chastised if death resulted from their dispersal by force. It also was a felony punishable by death not to disperse.

Although a few riots in the US such as those following the Rodney King incident are still rather high in the public mind, the UK has not at all been free of such happenings in its own urban areas. In fact, concerns that due to nonviolent protest meetings it might be used from politically-instituted reasons and conducted with violence, appears to be the reason it went away in the UK.

Farns...

Yeah, for what it's worth, one tends to note that seldom are there violent riots in rural agricultural areas, excluding perhaps a large party with too much ... cheer. Folks have tended throughout written history to go to cities for a "better" lifestyle. I've always found that interesting, that plus the tendency regardless to go to the country "on holiday."

May none of "our own" here be hurt in this unfortunate circumstance, nor any other person who seeks no incident of violence with another, nor to take or damage their property.

m

David Cameron: "I am granting the Metropolitan Police emergency powers to use water cannons, rubber bullets and tear gas to take back control of our streets from the poncing parasites. In addition I am deploying the British Army as a visible presence to provide the authority that is so very lacking.".....Carlsberg don't do Prime Ministers but if they did...

Guest farnsbarns

David Cameron: "I am granting the Metropolitan Police emergency powers to use water cannons, rubber bullets and tear gas to take back control of our streets from the poncing parasites. In addition I am deploying the British Army as a visible presence to provide the authority that is so very lacking.".....Carlsberg don't do Prime Ministers but if they did...

I'm posting this in the local, Croydon-centric forum I run. People could do with cheering up a bit round here. Hope you don't mind.

Guest farnsbarns

Oh no...

A good friend and customer was pulled of his motorbike, which was stolen, had his helmet removed, which was also stolen, and beaten about the head with a metal pole.

He is a father of 3 and the only bread winner. He is a very good man, an Indian South African who came here with a "streets paved with gold" outlook to escape trouble there some years ago.

I was beginning to feel hope that no one I knew or specifically cared for had been hurt.

Well after a 22hr shift where I started at 0800hrs yesterday morning and finished around 0700 this morning I'm totally exhausted.

I'll be back in again tonight for what I'm sure will be a repeat of yesterday's lawless mindless violence!! Iam amazed no one was killed!!

I can say that after 16yrs service I have never felt more threatened and put myself in more danger than I did last this last shift!!

When people are throwing petrol bombs, rocks bricks metal poles, armed with knifes and guns it seriously is time for me to consider a new career path!!

I have had numerous calls texts and emails for which Iam thankful!!

Time for some payback!!

Regards

Flight959

Well after a 22hr shift where I started at 0800hrs yesterday morning and finished around 0700 this morning I'm totally exhausted.

I'll be back in again tonight for what I'm sure will be a repeat of yesterday's lawless mindless violence!! Iam amazed no one was killed!!

I can say that after 16yrs service I have never felt more threatened and put myself in more danger than I did last this last shift!!

When people are throwing petrol bombs, rocks bricks metal poles, armed with knifes and guns it seriously is time for me to consider a new career path!!

Time for some payback!!

Regards

Flight959

good luck out there tonight mate, us "normal" people truly appreciate what the police force are doing to keep us safe [thumbup]

Time for some payback!!

Regards

Flight959

Good luck Simon and our thoughts are with you - everyone is behind you and furious at these assholes.

Matt

Guest farnsbarns

Time for some payback!!

Regards

Flight959

Bloody hell mate. Be careful and my genuine thanks to you!

Archived