Gibson Brands Forums

Riots in England

Guest Farnsbarns

edit - Link taken down

Payback

there is a name and shame page on facebook for some of the rioters. Some of these idiots have all their stuff posted up, including their job and various other details - so if you have a moment, have a phone round and let these people's places of work (for the ones that are working) know what they have done.

The boss we contacted had received about 70 e mails and sounded grateful and also really pissed off at the guy - hopefully he'll lose his job [thumbup]

Matt

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A man that was shot in a car has died now. I'm ashamed to be English. What are the tv stations reporting in the US?

Do you get all the news there?

I live in Birmingham. A 100 miles from London. Yet they riot here. Disgraceful.

Guest farnsbarns

Payback

there is a name and shame page on facebook for some of the rioters. Some of these idiots have all their stuff posted up, including their job and various other details - so if you have a moment, have a phone round and let these people's places of work (for the ones that are working) know what they have done.

http://www.facebook.com/nameandshame

The boss we contacted had received about 70 e mails and sounded grateful and also really pissed off at the guy - hopefully he'll lose his job [thumbup]

Matt

I know Matt meant this well but this kind thing may well result in a fair trial being declared impossible which would result in offenders getting off on technicallity.

Sorry Matt, no offence. We good?

I know Matt meant this well but this kind thing may well result in a fair trial being declared impossible which would result in offenders getting off on technicallity.

Sorry Matt, no offence. We good?

of course we're still good [biggrin] If this is definitely so I'll edit it out and then you can remove the quote of it - bit are you absolutely positive? It is only like on crime watch when they show a cctv pic of someone and ask if anyone knows this person

Matt

i don't think it would mate, i mean they either did it or they didn't? it's either them in the pics or it ain't? the police said themselves on tv this morning that they will be publishing pics of offenders and need the publics help to identify them B)

A man that was shot in a car has died now. I'm ashamed to be English. What are the tv stations reporting in the US?

Do you get all the news there?

I live in Birmingham. A 100 miles from London. Yet they riot here. Disgraceful.

Our news was all about the "downgrade" of the US government as a financial institution, and even then, all I could get from it was the politics of it. If you want to talk about a disgrace, I had to listen (and surf) for about an hour for maybe 5 minutes of actual useful information.

But, I was actually looking for news of what was happening there. I was surprised how much it was downplayed. If I had only known from MY news, I would have not thought it a big deal at all. I can understand if it is a story taking a back seat to the recent events with the stock market, but it took a back seat to events that happened last week.

It may not be a big problem for us here, but it was NOT reported like it was a big problem for Britain. Clearly, it is.

Guest farnsbarns

of course we're still good [biggrin] If this is definitely so I'll edit it out and then you can remove the quote of it - bit are you absolutely positive? It is only like on crime watch when they show a cctv pic of someone and ask if anyone knows this person

Matt

Pretty positive, it's a little more complicated and I am by no means qualified, but...

If a lawyer is able to argue that it is even feasible that a jury might be effected by what they have seen on line, in the media or anywhere else before the trial then it would, in normal circumstances, be impossible to try that suspect fairly which I have seen resulting in a criminal walking free.

This holds some clues... http://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=impossible+fair+trial

Now it may be that under the current extraordinary circumstances, they will be allowed to be tried by a panel of magistrates even if the crime would normally only be allowed to be tried by jury.

I just felt that the possibility warranted caution. If anyone gets away with this because of the actions of well meaning members of the public it would be a travesty.

I think Stein kinda hit it for the US news I see. Spell that, "not much."

A guy on my history/philosophy forum from the UK is pretty unhappy about the whole thing over there, but in the US outside this forum I've heard very little.

m

Guest farnsbarns

Changed the name of the thread as this is no longer an event on a single day. When I started the thread I thought we had had a riot in Tottenham and it was over.

Our media, politics, and money machine has great difficulty with the idea that the proletariat could possibly have the nads to do what is being done in England right now. THAT is why it is downplayed at best, ignored entirely at most. Can't have the domestic help out settin fires you know, so don't give 'em any ideas.

rct

There are news sources here in the US that are covering the story. PBS airs the BBC News every night after Charlie Rose but most viewers are watching mindless crap or are asleep..

Anarchist seek publicity and thrive on notoriety...The US has had a lot of experience with riots, the most effective tool when it gets to this stage is to issue a curfew and a shoot to kill order for the police and Para-military forces..

I pray this ordeal ends soon, but I suspect to see this sort of thing spread across Europe..

Guest farnsbarns

I suspect to see this sort of thing spread across Europe..

Me too! I am amazed it hasn't already. That said, most European countries arm their police with more that a (not all that) big stick.

Me too! I am amazed it hasn't already. That said, most European countries arm their police with more that a (not all that) big stick.

when you think about it, why wouldn't they burn cars and loot shops? i mean what deterant is there? oh wait a man with a stick standing still in the road!...

on the other hand if they thought that they might get blasted by a rubber bullet or water cannon...i think they'd stay at home.

as said before, our police force is lame (not there fault and no offence to the met police) their hands are tied...and the powers that be with the ties need a re-think AND QUICK! #-o

Our media, politics, and money machine has great difficulty with the idea that the proletariat could possibly have the nads to do what is being done in England right now. THAT is why it is downplayed at best, ignored entirely at most. Can't have the domestic help out settin fires you know, so don't give 'em any ideas.

rct

That makes sense, but I think the lack of reporting here has more to do with lack of caring, lack of good, and the overall climate of wanting to hate one another.

I think for a riot here, there would have to be a reason, a message. I have read or heard nothing of either from the Btitish press or anyone here. I don't think it is the media or government NOT reporting it out of fear of sparking something here.

But, rather, look at what IS reported here (the US). Everything reported in our media involves some sort of blame, finger pointing, or hate for another side. I would go so far as to challenge anyone to find a news story in which there is no blame implied or inferred. I would also go so far as to challenge one to find a news story in which a solution or help is suggested.

Stories that are of human interest in which caring is involved, such as the riots, the rebuild of Japan, and the tragedies of the natural disasters here, have a huge impact on the world and we as a people, but if they don't involve hate, they don't rate.

on the news they said, a guitar shop was looted in croydon and people were walking calmly down the street with guitars and a piano!...

i feel for the people that had no job to go to today after the shops were smashed up [mad]

I am not defending isolationist, but just how much of what goes on here in the US makes the British news?

Just because there is plenty of news to cover in one nation without looking past you're own borders doesn't mean the "people don't care".

30 years ago we did not have 24/7 news, even now most network news is 30 min.s national and 30 min.s national and that is not enough time...even the 24/7 news networks just re-run everything on a hourly cycle...

So to be fair does the BBC report every story from Canada? The US? Mexico? If the answer is no does that mean the British are callous and don't care, or does it mean they have enough misery to report without covering every corner of the globe?

Guest farnsbarns

Looting and rioting in Manchester city centre and in Salfords now...

And West Bromwich and Wolverhampton.

I am not defending isolationist, but just how much of what goes on here in the US makes the British news?

quiet a lot actually, i get up at 5.30am for work every morning and until 6.00am on the tv our main news is from across the pond from NBC and the like, plus we have all have the american news channels on sky tv (cable)...in fact all i heard last week was about america being downgraded from aaa to aa+ in the credit ranks.

so in answer to your question...yes we here a lot of what goes on in america and we are interested too, after all we stand shoulder to shoulder...right? B)

David Cameron: "I am granting the Metropolitan Police emergency powers to use water cannons, rubber bullets and tear gas to take back control of our streets from the poncing parasites. In addition I am deploying the British Army as a visible presence to provide the authority that is so very lacking.".....Carlsberg don't do Prime Ministers but if they did...

British joke.

Guest farnsbarns

David Cameron: "I am granting the Metropolitan Police emergency powers to use water cannons, rubber bullets and tear gas to take back control of our streets from the poncing parasites. In addition I am deploying the British Army as a visible presence to provide the authority that is so very lacking.".....Carlsberg don't do Prime Ministers but if they did...

British joke.

Didn't Steve do this one about three pages back? :P

quiet a lot actually, i get up at 5.30am for work every morning and until 6.00am on the tv our main news is from across the pond from NBC and the like, plus we have all have the american news channels on sky tv (cable)...in fact all i heard last week was about america being downgraded from aaa to aa+ in the credit ranks.

so in answer to your question...yes we here a lot of what goes on in america and we are interested too, after all we stand shoulder to shoulder...right? B)

To be perfectly honest anyone that can post on this board doesn't need to watch a TV to hear the news from around the world. I knew about the riots when they started...how many know there has been many terror attacks in Western China?

rct

A very valid point. If the proletariat in the US decided that it has had enough, you'd see riots here that make riots in the UK look like a football match. If it was ever going to happen, it would be now. And there might be many in the upper-middle class who'd join them. Not a Walmart in the country would be safe.

To answer an earlier question, rioting was reported on ABC world news last night, but the magnitude of the rioting did not come thru well in the reporting. A lot of us also get BBC news here, but I have not watched it lately.

Archived