Gibson Brands Forums

NGD EPI Explorer - Soundclip added

Kong

Found this on Craigslist and picked it up on Sunday for $250 with a gig-bag. It's a 2009 58 Korina Explorer re-issue. It was set up with 013 strings and a very high action and has Dragonfire 81/85 actives installed. The seller stated he had never made any adjustments the truss rod or intonation.

I took it home, set it up with 010s, adjusted the truss-rod to take some relief out of the neck and then adjusted the action and intonation. I LOVE the light weight of this thing and it is extremely comfortable for me to play sitting or standing. The Ebony fretboard feels really nice and I think it has killer looks. I may swap out the actives, but I'm going to give the Dragonfires a chance.

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

KILLER SCORE, Kong!!!

I'm not a big fan of active pickups, but there's no denying that Korina finish is a beautiful classic. I have the '58 Flying V reissue and just added the Les Paul Trad Pro in Korina to the collection last week ... seems all I need is the Explorer and the elusive SG.

Big congrats!

Jim

I need is the Explorer and the elusive SG.

Don't forget the super rare Moderne that was a Mars Music exclusive in 2000. With the 80's Gibson Modernes commanding upwards of $10,000, the Epis tend to run about $1,700-2,000. Good luck. [blink]

By the way OP, nice Explorer. It'd look killer with a black pickguard.

Thanks Guys.

If I don't stick with the actives, I was thinking of going with some GFS Humbuckers in gold; their "Vintage 59" in the neck ~8K ohm and the "Fat Pat" in the bridge ~14K. I was also thinking of using a push/pull pot and coil splitting both pickups. I have the Duncan Hot-rodded set in my Epi Les Paul Custom and I love them. The GFS pickups I'm considering have close resistance values to the Hotrodded ones for a much lower price.

I always thought a tortoise guard would look cool with the gold pickups/hardware. Is there a source for aftermarket pickguards for these guitars without having to jump through hoops?

Thanks Guys.

If I don't stick with the actives, I was thinking of going with some GFS Humbuckers in gold; their "Vintage 59" in the neck ~8K ohm and the "Fat Pat" in the neck ~14K. I was also thinking of using a push/pull pot and coil splitting both pickups. I have the Duncan Hot-rodded set in my Epi Les Paul Custom and I love them. The GFS pickups I'm considering have close resistance values to the Hotrodded ones for a much lower price.

I always thought a tortoise guard would look cool with the gold pickups/hardware. Is there a source for aftermarket pickguards for these guitars without having to jump through hoops?

I love using Coiling to effect the output so go for it.

Regarding the plate, they only sell them in white!

The best option and FASTEST is to make it yourself or let a luther do it for you.

Here are the sheets required http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tortoise-shell-24x-50cm-scratch-plate-pick-guard-sheets-/130394506022

Regarding the plate, they only sell them in white!

The best option and FASTEST is to make it yourself or let a luthier do it for you.

Here are the sheets required http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tortoise-shell-24x-50cm-scratch-plate-pick-guard-sheets-/130394506022

What? Who's "they"? Is that the same as "The Man"?

Anyways, there's tons of online sources for pickguards. Ten minutes on Google is way easier than making it yourself, and way cheaper than paying an independent luthier make one.

I Checked my local guitar retailers, ebay and allparts uk.

I'm a little weary of using sites linked via google as you don't know how legit they are thats why I didn't include it in my search.

I just didn't know who you had sourced...

I personally use Terrapin and Warmoth, depending on the 'guard.

I used to use that heavenly site, but got tired of being treated like a number. The last few for me have been from Terrapin. Highly recommend them. Love the korina, btw. Congratulations.

A korina Explorer for $250? Nice score man! She is lovely. Have fun spankin' that plank! msp_biggrin.gif

I'm kinda partial to black pickguards.... you already have the black PUP rings and the forum convinced me to swap mine out.... msp_drool.gif

Congrats on the guitar, Kong! Its a beauty!

Don't forget the super rare Moderne that was a Mars Music exclusive in 2000. With the 80's Gibson Modernes commanding upwards of $10,000, the Epis tend to run about $1,700-2,000. Good luck. [blink]

Dont forget the Korina Firebird!

Oh, and the Korina Les Paul Special and LP Junior. [tongue]

OHHHHH, YEAH!!!!! For $250 I would DEFINITELY be all over that!

I LIKE the Explorer style!

Strangely enough, there's a Gibby Melody Maker here on craigslist that WAS

$300, NOW $250, and I just look at it and shrug shoulders. Just doesn't grab

me the way the Explorer does.

Congratulatons on a fantastic score! [thumbup]

I recorded a sound clip of the Explorer. The backing track is one that came pre-loaded on my Line6 Spiderjam amp. It was recorded by plugging the amp direct to my computer's sound card using Audacity software.

http://www.box.net/s...ds1l0k94r9gla05

Nice track Kong. I may have to look at getting one of those amps. What is your opinion on the Line6? When hooked up to the computer, I am assuming you are hearing the guitar directly through your amp and not through your computer speakers?

The point I am getting at is latency.... do you experience a delay? I currently use a M-Audio Fast Track USB and have finally gotten a fast enough computer that the latency is almost not noticeable... but still have a tiny bit of latency.

You rock and the Explorer sounds tight!

Kong,

Personally, I thought it excellent! Love the sound.

Willy

That sounded really good! [thumbup]

You matched perfectly with the backing track. Sounded like it was all recorded together.

Excellent sound form that explorer, and excellent playing from you! [biggrin]

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Nice track Kong. I may have to look at getting one of those amps. What is your opinion on the Line6? When hooked up to the computer, I am assuming you are hearing the guitar directly through your amp and not through your computer speakers?

The point I am getting at is latency.... do you experience a delay? I currently use a M-Audio Fast Track USB and have finally gotten a fast enough computer that the latency is almost not noticeable... but still have a tiny bit of latency.

You rock and the Explorer sounds tight!

Heilly,

I love the Spiderjam. I'm not a recording expert or anything, but I do not notice any latency. I've recorded listening through the amp speaker or sometimes I lower the amp volume and record/listen through the computer speakers. I take the RCA line out from the spiderjam and plug it right into the 1/8 stereo input jack on the front of my computer. I have a cable that is RCA Male stereo to 1/8" male stereo.

For the earlier track I recorded just the backing track first using Audacity which I downloaded for free. Then I recorded the lead part on a separate track, listening through the computer speakers.

I've never had any luck with trying to record through USB or Firewire devices as I always seem to get too much latency. Sometimes, I'll hook a mixer right to the 1/8 stereo input on my computer so I can use a mic for an acoustic.

As far as the SpiderJam, I love it and it has really helped me improve my playing. It has infinite tones / effects / amp models. You can record right on the amp up to 1/2 hour, and do loops. It has an SD card for storing recordings. It has like 100 backing tracks in many styles which are real recordings of professional session artists. It also has a ton of drum tracks. I have the FBV shortboard to control the amp and it works awesome and I love the wah/volume pedal, (I used the wah on recording earlier). It even has an XLR mic input.

Here are a couple more tracks I recorded from my spiderjam direct to my computer. I did the acoustic track through a mic that I connected directly to the Spiderjam. The drum track on the 2nd recording is also right off the Line6.

This clip is my silverburst Les Paul with Duncans and my Yamaha 12 string

http://www.box.net/shared/s50ljsm8zq

I think I recorded this with an Epi 56 Goldtop with the stock P90s

http://www.box.net/shared/agy6q04tvs

Archived