Gibson Brands Forums

Drilling holes for new tuners .. OUCH!

RASHARU

I got my 2004 Southern Jumbo a couple of days ago & the very first mod I made was replacing those Gotoh open-back tuners.

I went with a set of nickel TonePro-Klusons (TPKB3-N). The Gotohs had the press-fit bushing but I wanted to change over to the threaded post type. I prefer the looks & added stability of this style.

Anyway, I had to open the existing headstock holes up a tad (approx 1.2mm) to allow the new tuners to seat properly. Let me tell you now.. that job was NOT easy! It's very difficult to precisely widen an existing hole in wood.. even clamped down in a drillpress.

I finally got 'em all done, but I needed a stiff drink afterward. My nerves were shot! Yikes.

Thats exactly why god created luthiers. I take all my mofications to my trusty tech, this would definitely been a job for him.

HOwever, glad you pulled it off, I pesonally would have shat my pants trying to do something like this.

Do you have pics ?

Glad your project (and nerves) turned out OK, but.....

Just for future reference (or others contemplating the same type project), the cutting tool designed to make an existing hole larger is called a "ream". They come in a variety of sizes and types, and the ones made for use on wood are very inexpensive.

Glad you got it done. I did that mod to an old Citation guitar for the first time and like you I drilled the holes out. Unfortunately I chipped the headstock out around the hole a little. The mod did what I intended and did not hurt the guitar tone but it did leave some noticeable scars.

I learned then that if I ever do it again I will buy the proper reamer instead of a drill.

That is how you learn is by doing it.

Glad the job turned out for you - - and yes, pics please. B)

I don't normally involve "Luthiers" in my guitar projects. One of my very best buds is a Luthier & he has taught me a great deal about the ART behind the guitar. It's all HEART.. not HANDS!

IMG_4784.jpg

It's all HEART.. not HANDS!

Good on you that you are not afraid of doing your own guitar work, but to say the above just ain't so. I know a lot of folks with plenty of heart that I wouldn't even let hold a crescent wrench in my driveway, let alone wield a power tool near a guitar. What does your luthier bud say about that ultra-short saddle on the Vine? Heart can fix that too? +:-@

Good on you that you are not afraid of doing your own guitar work, but to say the above just ain't so. I know a lot of folks with plenty of heart that I wouldn't even let hold a crescent wrench in my driveway, let alone wield a power tool near a guitar. What does your luthier bud say about that ultra-short saddle on the Vine? Heart can fix that too? +:-@

HEART is in the eye of the beholder. I agree, this type of work ain't for everybody!

As far as the ultra-short saddle on the Vine? .. My Luthier bud says that I do a really good job translating modern metal/rock music into acoustic style & that the extremely low action after the 7th is critical for my speed & accuracy. I might also point out that the Vine's saddle is a "dyed vintage" bone color which gives it the appearance (in this particular pic) that it's shorter than it really is. Also, the Vine's actual bridge block is shaped slightly different than the SJ's & it's a tad thicker overall (deeper saddle slot, I suppose?).

I hand-shape all of my own saddles & nuts from square bone blanks. Yes, like most of you, I used to buy from Bob Colosi but I finally figured out that it's alot more fun to do this stuff myself. I chose a stark white blank for the SJ to help match those bone pins (the Vine has rosewood pins). No, I haven't made any pins from blanks yet but I am trying to learn. I'm also learning about tuner buttons.

Heart, backed up by decent skill and knowledge will do it. Heart backed up with good intentions will bung it all up. To me it's important that you know exactly what to do LONG before you actually do it. And always know where you'll be in 3 steps!

Glad it worked out well for you! With a drill (even clamped in a drill press) you can really bung it up.

And...those a gorgeous Gibbys!!!!

That's quite a pair you got there Rash.

Beauties. B)

Thanks BK.

You know what? .. All of these varying comments have left me wondering if I'm unusually BRAVE, CONFIDENT .. or just plain CRAZY!

I enjoy taking risks & doing my own stunt work. A very wise man told me long ago, "If man made it .. man can fix it" [biggrin]

"If man made it .. man can fix it"

This is true, although I don't think I'd be brave enough to learn on a 3k or more example. There's a well regarded course for all this type of work in my home town in Scotland, but as I no longer live there and there's nothing like that where I live now, I'm forced to swallow some brave pills or take it to my tech (my normal choice)

If I was able to attend such a course I'd buy a couple of cheapo problem guitars to learn all this stuff on without a second thought and set about them with as much gusto as I could muster.

You don't need to take any course, just get a few el cheapo project guitars and dig in! If it's a $100 yard sale piece, who cares if you bung it up?? With the interweb you can research and get info on how to do anything. I just wouldn't learn on my Gibby!

btw...I cut all my nuts and saddles. Once you know the parameters you're looking to be in, nuts and saddles are cake. You don't have to modify the guitar at all to do it so it's a safe thing to roll up your sleeves and do! I've got the tools to do it (mini vise, gauged slot saws, nut files, spacing gauge etc) but you don't NEED the special tools, it just makes it easier!

You don't need to take any course, just get a few el cheapo project guitars and dig in! If it's a $100 yard sale piece, who cares if you bung it up?? With the interweb you can research and get info on how to do anything. I just wouldn't learn on my Gibby!

btw...I cut all my nuts and saddles. Once you know the parameters you're looking to be in, nuts and saddles are cake. You don't have to modify the guitar at all to do it so it's a safe thing to roll up your sleeves and do! I've got the tools to do it (mini vise, gauged slot saws, nut files, spacing gauge etc) but you don't NEED the special tools, it just makes it easier!

Yeah! What he said. You CAN do it if you really want to.

• 3 years later...

Archived