Gibson Brands Forums

Motorcycles

Silenced Fred

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many words of wisdom....all worth reading seriously

The necessary caution and skill required can only be steadily accrued by riding on real roads

Backed up by riding tuition and some theory

Protective gear is essential and once purchased can last for many years

And as stated several times...assume you are invisible, ride defensively

Develop sixth sense avoidance of macho 4 wheel drivers....some of whom would happily run you off the road

Healthy paranoia is to be encouraged.....

V

:-({|=

The funny thing is you do develop the sixth sense, and the cars to avoid are not always what you might think. For a while, it was the young woman in a red hatchback who was always trying to kill me. It was always a different one, but woman in red hatchback meant get out of the way! Then it was clean cut blond person of either gender in a black VW Jetta. I don't know what it is about yuppie looking people who drive black Jettas, but they were full of evil road intent for a while. Lately it has been white SUVs with dark tinted windows. It will be something else pretty soon, no doubt. Jacked up pickups and lowered Honda Civics would seem like the kinds of cars to avoid, but I haven't had many problems with either of those so far.

And no, you don't hear "yeah but it wasn't my fault" from very many experienced riders.

I have a Suzuki Marauder. It has a carburetor and in Colorado that is not the best. It's tuned for the low lands of denver since denver is only a mile high. It is not tuned to go up in the mountains though. It's best to have fuel injection here.

I used to ride......A Triumph.......A real motorcycle........

what model?

i had a '79 T140 Bonneville 750 5-speed. café'd it with hump seat, stretch tank and low bars. sold it because i got hit by an uninsured out of state motorist, plus i eventually got tired of it and needed the money for college tuition.

Great, great comments from the real riders here.

Personally, I think taking risk, or being in danger does not equal cool. Facing danger, and dealing with it head on is cool. There is nothing more manly than recognizing danger and taking it head on and coming out ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

what model?

i had a '79 T140 Bonneville 750 5-speed. café'd it with hump seat, stretch tank and low bars. sold it because i got hit by an uninsured out of state motorist, plus i eventually got tired of it and needed the money for college tuition.

'71 Bonneville....nice bike......

I was in a bike crash so stopped riding though i love em..but i was also a bikie guitarist just a few years ago the gig i was doing for a while used to get alot of bikers there it was a blues bar.. and i was doing some retro covers at the time some jimi cream etc and did 'born to be wild' cover which became popular with the bikies so i got used to playing in front of 3 or 400 hundred outlaw motorcycle gang members as a routine...they were cool if you got respect you dont have any dramas..i am into post metal but did this gig for a while it was a buzz i enjoyed it

Just for those who might be interested in some vintage stuff, here's something I saw a couple of weeks ago - apologies for the poor quality but it was in a dimly lit room in a glass display case.

lo-resIMG_1788.jpg

This is a Brough 'Superior'; in its time the motorcycle equivalent of an Aston Martin and a Rolls-Royce rolled into one.

And it's not just any old Brough 'Superior'. This bike was hand-made, by George Brough himself, for T. E. Lawrence - a.k.a. 'Lawrence of Arabia'. It is also the very machine Lawrence was riding when he was killed - trying to avoid a couple of delivery-boys riding bicycles...

P.

• 1 month later...

I was brought up my first 14 years in a combination village Harley shop and car dealership before Dad, the owner, sold it to get a cupla college degrees in philosophy.

Anyway... Yeah, wear decent riding clothes. The hat ain't popular but...

Dad was riding home on a nice new mid 50s' hot rod Harley in late fall. He wore heavy Harley brand gauntlets, WWII bomber crew sheepskin leathers, top and bottom, and a hard hat of the day. Hit a German Shepherd that wanted to bite the bike at about 50 mph.

It killed the dog and sent Dad and the Harley sliding a bit more than half a city block. Road rash chewed pretty well through one side of the hat; chewed through the outside of the leathers in some places.

Beat the heck out of my Dad, bruised up pretty well but nothing broken, no treatable physical damage. Without the leathers and hat? I dunno. I know I've seen some incredible bloody messes from similar slides.

I have a license but I'm a lousy rider. Luckily I know I'm a lousy rider. My little brother (not the baby bro who's under 40) quit racing when he hit his mid 50s. Still rides a Harleyhog for fun. Used to teach official state-certified bike safety classes. He's good enough he doesn't have any need to prove it, but wears a hat.

We both cringe at flipflops, shorts and t-shirts on a bike.

m

Ducati's new superbike has just been announced. Think I might have to go and place a deposit [thumbup]

02_1199_PanigaleS.jpg

03_1199_Panigale_S.jpg

I'll tell the wife afterwards, because as always, it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

That Ducati looks fast setting still ! I like it !! [thumbup]

My 2009 Honda CBR600RR Super Sport, before and after I installed flush mount turn signals, and frame sliders. I would highly suggest getting a bike. Purely exhilarating, especially a Super Sport. This bike is doing over 90 mph in 2nd gear at only 12000 rpm. It red lines at 15000 to give you an idea of how insane it is. The cool part about buying a bike is, you don't have to have your licence or insurance to do the purchase. Also, even though I financed half the cost, Honda didn't force me to have comp and collision ins. I just have the bare minimum.. With a learners permit, you're not supposed to ride on the freeways or at night, at least in California, so you'll want to get your licence as soon as possible.

IMG00038-20100625-1349-1.jpg

2010-10-04_20-34-07_841-1.jpg

I came close to re entering the fray this Spring

You know how it goes

Long cold lonely winter etc etc

And the new release of Hondas of all sizes is as usual, too tempting for words

Helped by a truly responsible mature family dealership

The new Honda CBR600F.....called Hurricane I believe in the States....is regarded as possibly the best mid-sized allrounder ever

A design of pure genius, durable to 100,000 miles

So So Tempting......

V

:-({|=

Archived