Gibson Brands Forums

Hey! Have You Guys Seen These Yet?

midiman56

These just rolled into the store today ... it was the first time I had seen them. The Epiphone SG Junior!

IMG_0179-1.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Pretty nice carve on this little baby ...

IMG_0181-1.jpg

Bolt-on (screwed-in?) neck on this one, naturally ...

IMG_0182-1.jpg

Cheese-ball tuners, but seemed pretty stable ...

IMG_0186.jpg

This guitar is a lot of fun! The necks were finished nicely with no jagged ends and the satin finish was well applied and just slghtly transparent. The single "whatever-bucker" sounded nice and punchy ... warm on clean and pretty growly with distortion.

IMG_0185.jpg

They are "every-day" tagged at $119.99, but I can virtually guarantee that these will be on sale during the upcoming Labor Day weekend ... probably for $99 or less. No doubt about it ... it's a great time to be a guitar player!

Jim

You just made my day!! :) I hope these aren't one of those cheesy GC exclusives, MF better have them too, or that'll be a huge let down. I think the nearest GC to me is in NYC, 6 hours away...and i dont order from them online because it'd brobably be around $140 with $80 shipping...

I just realized your last two post from the direct from the GC do not follow your usual format.

I much prefer the old way.

You mean there is no "model" holding the guitars? Yeah ... Kat wasn't working yesterday, and, trust me on this, you wouldn't want the person that was working the front door to model anything ... except maybe a welding mask!

Jim

You mean there is no "model" holding the guitars? Yeah ... Kat wasn't working yesterday, and, trust me on this, you wouldn't want the person that was working the front door to model anything ... except maybe a welding mask!

Jim

I think the postings you do here and the comments you share being able to describe honest and real life hands on with what is for sale is a great service to us on the forum, the public, and great PR as to the standard one should expect from GC.

I think it would be well justified to take time out of your workday to update these threads to the usual successful format. I agree with your judgement thus far on who makes a good model, and KAT has done a great job for you.

I think it would be well justified to take time out of your workday to update these threads to the usual successful format.

Nah ...

When I post pics and first impressions of any new stuff that comes into the stora, they are just that, Stein ... first impressions. I really just intend for them to be announcements for any of you guys that might not live close to a music store and might want to hear about and see pics of gear outside of web sites and catalogs.

IMHO, in order to really do a worthwhile review on a guitar, you have to own it for a while ... or at least play it longer than the 10 minutes or so that I spend with it.

Jim

Nah ...

When I post pics and first impressions of any new stuff that comes into the stora, they are just that, Stein ... first impressions. I really just intend for them to be announcements for any of you guys that might not live close to a music store and might want to hear about and see pics of gear outside of web sites and catalogs.

IMHO, in order to really do a worthwhile review on a guitar, you have to own it for a while ... or at least play it longer than the 10 minutes or so that I spend with it.

Jim

Oh, I get that. I wasn't ever thinking of any of these as full reviews by any means. That ain't the business you are in anyway. You are giving others what THEY want.

What is cool, is that there is often a difference between what is in a catalog, what is supposed to be available, and what is THERE. When the guitar comes in, you report it is THERE in person and your first impression of it. A pic of an actual guitar from a store is better than reading a catalog. A person holding the guitar, even better.

GC is a chain, I get that. But if you have something there is a good chance other stores have it or will have it. Good on you for doing something for GC, and doing something for us.

Jim,

I see that they are Indonesian made. What wood are the bodies? Agathis? Nice little guitars. I agree a P90 would be in order for one. Thx for posting this.

Regarding an Epi SG w/P90s, wasn't there a recent thread about these supposedly coming out soon, like in September, maybe?

Some background on Basswood:

Tilia is a genus of about 30 species of trees native throughout most of the temperate Northern Hemisphere, in Asia (where the greatest species diversity is found), Europe and eastern North America; they are not native to western North America. Under the Cronquist classification system, this genus was placed in the family Tiliaceae, but genetic research by the APG has resulted in the incorporation of this family into the Malvaceae. They are generally called lime in Britain and linden or basswood in North America.

The timber of Tilia trees is soft and easily worked; it has very little grain and a density of 560 kg per cubic metre.[4] It is a popular wood for model building and intricate carving. Especially in Germany, it was the classic wood for sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards and is the material for the elaborate altarpieces of Veit Stoss, Tilman Riemenschneider, and many others. Ease of working and good acoustic properties also make it popular for electric guitar and bass bodies and wind instruments such as recorders. In the past, it was typically used (along with Agathis) for less-expensive models. However, due to its better resonance at mid and high frequency, and better sustain than alder, it is now more commonly in use with the "superstrat" type of guitar. It can also be used for the neck because of its excellent material integrity when bent and ability to produce consistent tone without any dead spots, according to Parker Guitars. In the percussion industry, Tilia is sometimes used as a material for drum shells, both to enhance their sound and their aesthetics.

So ... I'm not picking a fight, nor to I wish to start another (God forbid!) "Tonewood War", but since you are so vehement, I'm just curious as to the reasons for your hatred of Basswood, Hungry?

Jim

Archived