Gibson Brands Forums

Wives and Guitars

E-minor7

Inspired by laocmos Heritage thread, I zoom in on wives and guitars. I once had a girlfriend – a professional musician – who said :

Something happens when guys get behind a guitar, , , they fall into a trance.

I believe she was right. By instinct we tend to get mesmerized with long tools in our hands. . . I've seen girls/women get irritated when their husbands took up the 6-string f.x. at a party (can turn out as a farce) – but of course and luckily the opposite seems to be the rule. Especially before the relationship becomes a reality.

The bass-player of my band is a severe collector. He had electric guitars and basses almost everywhere in his apartment. Then some years ago he married a clever woman. They moved to a bigger place and now the collection is concentrated on 1 wall in the living room (plus some loose deers here and there). But they found out that they could set up a curtain from corner to corner.

A nice piece of cream-white fabric that covers up the approx 20* guitars hanging there when they get too much. What a solution, , , what a woman heheheh. . .

As an Acoustic Monk, I'm not in contact with the issue in this period (I see a younger girl who finds the herd exotic) – How do you guys manage ?

* if not 30 -

At home I've almost always got a guitar nearby. My wife is used to that. I only play at family get-togethers when someone asks. I've never been one to push it and make a nusuance of myself (hope not anyway). All of my guitars are in one room, except for the one I'm currently using, although a uke or two can often be found where they shouldn't be. My wife is really pretty good about it. She tolerates my addiction, even though she doesn't fully understand it. I'm often gone for 8-9 hours (2-3 gigs) over a weekend, but she knows where I'm at and who I'm with.....I think I've got it pretty good.

Well, I only have three guitars, so it's not really a problem. The two I don't use are in the living room; while my H-Bird sits quietly in our bedroom. No problem there either. My wife knows it is my mistress and we have a very harmonious treesome relationship [laugh]

My wife (thank God!) loves all the same things as me - including a similar taste in music styles, a love of Sci fi, collecting books & DVDS, wine and booze and also eating Mexican and Italian food!! We have a small Victorian house, but have the dining room as a piano room and the upstairs spare room as a guitar room. When I met her, I just had a cheap SG copy and a classical guitar - she insisted I have more guitars and amps and has encouraged me loads...i am indebted [thumbup] xx

Matt

A subject very near and dear to my heart. Met my wife at one of my bands shows in Boston circa 2004.....7 years and three kids later here I am. Bottom line...removal of guitar or songwriting time is non negotiable. It's like telling me to disown my family. It's wired into the fabric of who I am. The artistic process is what delivers me balance.....I require it. And my guitars are a huge part of that equation.

Well Mrs EA, god bless her is a very clever woman. She knows that when i focus on the playing the guitar and put my energy into this I dont get 'distracted' by other things that might get me into trouble.

She also knows that I need to do this as much as breathing, its good for the soul, so she fully supports it, and being a singer and part time member of the band she's enthusisasti about it.

We just have a rule that I dont keep more that 5 guitars in the main room. So when the J-150 arrived the Cort Mini went upstairs, it also cost me 4 pairs of shoes for Mrs EA, but I could deal with that.

The big test will be when kids arrive next year as thats in the pipeline, we'll see what her attitude will be then to the guitar / kiddies responsiblities balane. Scares me a bit ... :mellow:

My wife doesn't actually encourage my guitar addiction, but she more than tolerates it. As she says, when I go into my office at night and close the door, she knows exactly what I'm up to, and it isn't going out to bars or hanging out with strange women--unless you count a guitar as a strange, shapely woman with a sultry voice. After all, my favorite guitars are between 45 and 60 years old, so it's not like I'm hanging out with younger women (although several of my guitars are definitely young hotties). She and I are both well past 60, which is a polite way to put it.

I keep my gutiars in my office/studio, and the only time they go out into the rest of the house is if I lie on the couch with one to noodle while watching television.

She knows I have a lot of money tied up in guitars, but compared to other hobbies I have had, this one is relatively cheap, as long as I stick to $5K guitars rather than $25K guitars.

She actually feels sorry that I don't have a proper studio space, since she knows I really, really love music.

Things would be really different if I started cluttering up the rest of the house with guitar stuff, as she is obsessively neat. I do try to keep my office neat as well, although it isn't always easy

I think I'll keep her. I just hope she'll keep me.

Super little video, really enjoyed that. The young man has great energy. Keep him involved with the music......Family and guitars really fit well together. Good thread. [thumbup]

Was all set to discuss my wife and my guitars over the years....but Tarrr's kid singing.....dang..... now THAT'S what it's all about!

We have a small Victorian house, but have the dining room as a piano room and the upstairs spare room as a guitar room.

Sounds like our old house in Mississippi. We had a baby grand piano in the dining room (the room being big enough to still have a table in it). The front parlor was full of old audio gear and guitars while the back bedroom, which had orignally been the kitchen house, became a home for my electric trains.

Again, my wife used to gig and loves guitars - in particular she loves Gibson guitars.

What she is a bit wary of is my habit of bringing home very nice guitars that have been treated unkindly and which I get on the cheap. I am always thinking I am going to fix them up and sell them. Problem is although I get them in good playing condition, I somehow never got around to selling the last two - a mid-1950s Epi and early 1970s mahogany top Guild D-25. To this number has recently been added a 1920s Regal parlor. And now I am now looking at a Kalamazoo-made Epi Texan. It is not that I am oppsed to selling them, I am just too flippin' lazy to get it done.

So...if anyone is looking for a pre-Gibson Epi flattop drop me a line. You will not only get a great guitar at an very low price but get me off the hook with my wife (and clear the way for me to buy the Texan).

After more than forty years, my wife actually ends-up thinking like I do---at least as far as my musical needs. I recently sold my HD28 to a good friend. She was there when he gave me the money. Right after he took that gem home, she asked me "How much more do you need now to get the guitar you're thinking about?" I have not said a word about an HD35 or a CJ165. Nothing, but she knows me........When you think about it, a good wife makes a good guitar possible. [thumbup]

When you think about it, a good wife makes a good guitar possible. [thumbup]

You might also argue that a good guitar can help you find a good wife. If she doesn't like to listen to you play your guitars, or is jealous of them, run the other way. Preferably before you get married.

Archived