Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird X

j-dub

So, the big release is upon us of Gibson's latest Firebird X model.

I have watched the video's, and I have done some reading on the product. This seems to be something that is long overdue imo.

Will this catch on?

I believe it will, speaking from a novice/beginner standpoint. This guitar appears to have many convenient qualities that should appeal to both old and new. For the old, this could be the beginning of going to a set, loading and unloading in one shot, guitar in one hand, amp in the other. The need for pedals seems to have been resolved in this guitar, will this equate to more freedom, i expect it should.

The largest negative feedback has been in the form of, switching modes, or sound effects. Many state that the switch will be to cumbersome, or slow. I found that odd, considering that playing guitar (unless gifted) is a challenge that requires plenty of practice. Why would there be reluctance to keep learning, especially considering the possibilities with this model.

Personally, if they can do the right color scheme, i'd probably be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie [tongue]

Please discuss...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"considering that playing guitar (unless gifted) is a challenge that requires plenty of practice"

I am a gifted guitarist....Playing/learning guitar is still a challenge, and requires practice (for me)....

I don't even consider the X thingee a guitar..But, that's just my opinion.....I do not believe that

this thingee will sell....If folks like it, or love it, that's fine...good for them...I don't, never have, or will......

Heck, the Feds should have taken the X-thingee for it's secret formula space age teckee stuff.....smiley-laughing021.gif

I support Gibson on all their products, but this one.....I help promote Gibson sales....But, hmmm......

Like I said, if folks want this, good for them.........................

i hope it does excellent, maybe if it does they will bring that technology to the les paul configuration.

has any one who has posted, tried this?? seems to me that it has only been in a limited amount of hands, and wonder why the reluctance to give it a chance.

pedals aren't part of a guitar, yet people gak all over them. seems strange kinda. i agree, the look ain't in tune with my tastes, but the technology is very interesting.

Not for me.

I'm a simple plucker whose perfect set-up is a Les Paul plugged straight into a nice amp.

I'm certain there are those - studio musicians especially - who will find all the technology useful but I'm not one of them.

P.

Not for me.

I'm a simple plucker whose perfect set-up is a Les Paul plugged straight into a nice amp.

I'm certain there are those - studio musicians especially - who will find all the technology useful but I'm not one of them.

P.

Actually, that's the ironic thing......The thingee will be ignored by "studio musicians"......

I know this as fact..........And, like you, I think, what's wrong with 2 PUs, four knobs, and a switch ???

Nadda.....It's worked for over 50 years...........

I love the technology and hope that like Plasma and LCD tvs, guitars like the firebird x will come down a bit in price. Plus, I don't really play electric guitar enough to warrant that kind of cash to be honest, but yeah love the idea and will follow the developments it takes. Gibson are my favourite brand because of their adventurous nature!

Matt

Heck, I don't oppose the "tech" side of it, it's just "Butt Ugly,"...IMHO. They could have put that technology, in one of their proven, tried and true designs...or, at least, designed one, that doesn't look like a bad "Guitar Hero" tool.[flapper][biggrin]

CB

One like this, for instance?

tn1_33267.jpg

P.

Not for me,....remember the Fender V.G. stratocaster?....i bought one,only ever play it in original strat mode,

can't give the buggers away now.

I also have a roland guitar synth,.....whole different technique needed to coax,i must say not very similar sax/piano etc sounds out of it,

i mention these things because of the whole reason i play/started to play guitar,.....

it was the sound of guitar/amp......with very little effect from pedals etc........just guitar straight into a good tube amp.

Sound always comes first with me,looks second,........and that thing ain't pretty imo.

I'm sure some players will like the looks and specs,but not me.

Valid comments all....

I've toyed with the idea of synth access for some time and never got further than that

The Godins appear to be attractive options looking like real wood...my hero J McLaughlin plays one...

I love the traditional Firebirds for looks and originality

My multi-fx and pedals keep me amused....

V

:-({|=

Archived