Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird X

j-dub

this thread has made me laugh, and made me cringe.

aesthetics aside, the technology is intriguing, to say it is not, is to close your mind to progress or any attempt at it. milod is correct 100%, this imo is an evolution.

i for one have an open mind, life is too short not to imo. i look forward to eventually hearing from very happy owners of these, with the only complaint being...its looks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this thread has made me laugh, and made me cringe.

aesthetics aside, the technology is intriguing, to say it is not, is to close your mind to progress or any attempt at it. milod is correct 100%, this imo is an evolution.

i for one have an open mind, life is too short not to imo. i look forward to eventually hearing from very happy owners of these, with the only complaint being...its looks.

are you insane? Why have twenty knobs, toggles and switches on a guitar when you can have everything at your feet. I don't know about you, but have you ever had to tweak something live? I sure as hell have, and I think almost everyone who uses pedals has had a time due to room acoustics, or whatever that they had to change the pedal sound up. I know how to change the setting on a pedal, but isn't all the programming done online? So if you're at a gig, and the delay sounds too boomy, or you are getting too much feedback from a dirt effect, how do you turn that down? Also, there are too many things to hit or knock while playing live, especially if you are a fairly energetic player. I have enough trouble not hitting the pickup selector switch on my LP when I really get into it

And because I know you are going to say "well Fred, that's all fine and dandy, but this is for studio musicians you silly goose", screw that. When you are in the studio, you have tons of gear at your disposal, either yours, your bands, or the studio's. I think for the most part, it has been proven that very few people like to be limited to select digital only pedals. I have seen a few studios, as well as some studio musician's gear, and it is pretty intense. the Firebird X is a gimmick that appeals to people with more money than brains. "4 grand so I can have an all in one package? Sounds like a good deal to me"

Please. I have an open mind for a lot of technology, but this is just stupid

god forbid you loose the pedals [laugh]

your point is valid although personal. i doubt someone with disabilities would find it a stupid idea. i am farking old, but i still like to experience things first hand, and try new things.

to piss and moan about the price is weak, if you want it and can afford it why not. no worse than a guy dropping mint on a car that your or i think is a piece of crap, to each his own.

i'm very certain, there will be people who pick this up and make it sing lickity split, studio or live should not matter. practice all over again. nothing wrong with that.

its not the tools, they say. i look forward to see what grows from this.

Maybe I missed something, but the Technology doesn't seem to be all that cutting edge. Except that it all comes in one package like a Starter Kit, the technology is pretty old now. We have multi effects processors, we have self tuning guitars, Fender came out with the VG Strat that was Roldan Ready and just what the guy in the studio wanted. Now you can pick up a VG Strat for less than a Grand because everyone realized they wanted a "Real Guitar" (for lack of a better term).

Of course we're all just soothsaying. I don't Know it's going to Flop, but I see the signs. No one knows if it's going to finally Revolutionize Guitar playing for the future, but the promise is there. However, if we were laying bets (and I am a Betting Man) I'd put my money on Flop, not Revolutionary.

Also, I'm not one to be stuck in the past. I tried Digital Effects when they got big in the late 80's early 90's, I like Time Based digital effects just fine, but can't stand digital Gain. I tried Multi Effects when they came out, cool for a bit, but in the end it was harder to set peripherals and still haven't found one unit that houses all the sounds I like (and I only use 5 pedals). I'm not close minded, quite the opposite, I like to consider every possible view point before shaping an opinion. If I try one (and I will) and absolutely love it, I'll eat my hat with a side of crow.

Perhaps a sign of what MIGHT happen is IF and WHEN some really well known player ENDORSES AND USES

the product..............ie, some famous rock star or studio cat.........This has yet to happen....It might............

Having said that, I don't foresee Clapton, Page, Beck, Montrose, Santana, Van Halen, Gilbert, or Vai

using and endorsing the product..........Yanni or Kenny G might, but, they aren't musicians either....[flapper] ...

I think Damian hit an important point: A lot will be determined by whether some "name" guitarist takes on the thing.

I can't forget what a basic flop the Les Paul was in its time. I'm rather glad because it brought us the SG, but...

I really think that looks are a matter of fad as much or more than functionality, too. Even that has cost me some nice guitars when I was in my swappin' and saloon playing days.

Also, I don't care for pedals. They're a pain to haul, even if glued onto a pedal board. It's enough hassle to haul a guitar and amp, compared to the olden days when one would carry a guitar and hope there was enough of a pa system or decent enough acoustics in a given venue. That latter factor brought us big flattops and archtops, and...

As for price tag... a bit of work likely would make a lotta $100 electrics functional for Rock or Country. The old Harmony and Kay guitars were considered real crap in my early days, and everyone did whatever they could to get a better guitar. Now they're "retro" and considered neat instruments regardless of horrid necks.

Life's interesting.

m

Perhaps a sign of what MIGHT happen is IF and WHEN some really well known player ENDORSES AND USES

the product..............ie, some famous rock star or studio cat.........This has yet to happen....It might............

Having said that, I don't foresee Clapton, Page, Beck, Montrose, Santana, Van Halen, Gilbert, or Vai

using and endorsing the product..........Yanni or Kenny G might, but, they aren't musicians either....[flapper] ...

49d02d8ac257.gif

you're likely very correct. if a big axeman picked this up, it would definitely help. time will tell i reckon, but man, all your gear in two hands appeals to me, and i'm sorry, those auto tuning things are smokin.

i'm a pretty simple guy. i don't really use effects or play through computers. my amp's got reverb and eq, but that's about it. just plug and play. the firebird x looks a little too complex for me. i hate reading, and it seems like the manual would be a short story at least. other people might find all the gizmos useful but not me....

I like the concept of the tech in it, but like a lot of others I can't afford the price and think it's ugly as sin.

This is the next step in the robot guitar, which I liked the concept of - the automatic tuning ability was useful for people who used multiple tunings and didn't want to bring along a different guitar for each tuning. If you had to change tunings on a guitar during a gig, this thing was extremely handy considering how fast it does its thing.

If I was playing professionally I'd see the usefullness but can't justify it for sitting at home and playing for my own enjoyment.

I think it is a flop:

If and when it ever became popular or classic, the technology would be seriously out of date and not something that would be sought after.

It would surely be upgraded, right? Which brings the major flaw:

Technology makes sense, effects may make sense, but combining them all in ONE package does not. There is no real reason to put pedals and effects INSIDE a guitar.

When someone chooses a guitar, they get the best they can get for the dough. When someone chooses an effect, they get the best they can.

MAYBE some of the plug ins and peizios and interfaces may find it's way into other guitars or gadgets, but I doubt if and when it does become a reality it will resemble this guitar, and I doubt it will be needed to buy specific guitars to do it.

I think it is a flop:

If and when it ever became popular or classic, the technology would be seriously out of date and not something that would be sought after.

It would surely be upgraded, right? Which brings the major flaw:

Technology makes sense, effects may make sense, but combining them all in ONE package does not. There is no real reason to put pedals and effects INSIDE a guitar.

When someone chooses a guitar, they get the best they can get for the dough. When someone chooses an effect, they get the best they can.

MAYBE some of the plug ins and peizios and interfaces may find it's way into other guitars or gadgets, but I doubt if and when it does become a reality it will resemble this guitar, and I doubt it will be needed to buy specific guitars to do it.

Yeah, they'll be those "Gerchblogs, and Zackdungers" that Lennon predicted...(Smile) Re: Tom Snyder's "Tomorrow Show" interview, with John Lennon, in 1975, or so. ;>)

CB

Maybe although a great example of this not working is when Zakk Wylde came out supporting the JMD by Marshall. OMG it was not only not believable the tones he got actually suk'd. It was a great example of a company throwing its weight around to get a "Star" to endorse it. It also was the only time that Zakk was ever recorded even being near that amp. On a side note its a killer amp and one of my favorite amp's and best purchases ever.

So we as guitarists are a finicky bunch, we can smell companies lying like a shark to blood in the water.

Wait, so you're saying that the JMD had bad tone, and their only hope was to get a "star" to promote it, and he didn't like it, but now you're saying its an amazing amp and one of your best purchases ever?

So either you like bad tone, or Zakk Wylde sucks at playing guitar...

Archived