Gibson Brands Forums

How do i explain effect pedals to someone who doesn't play guitar in a sentence?

dem00n

I'm mentioning it in this homework i have to do and i cant find a way to simply explain what a effect pedal does in non-guitarist terminology. ****. [lol]

You see if i say it like "It creates different sounds when you turn it on through an amplifier". They Arent going to know what those sounds are, its kinda of insufficient info but at the same time if i add more info they would be confused. Like saying what a Fuzz or OD pedal does, they would just be lost.

Wow, i dont know how all the words got bunched up, weird.

Explain it this way;

" You know when your Mom and Dad go into a room, lock the door for an hour, then come out smiling ?? That's what effects are like, and that's what they do. "

Um, why would someone play guitar IN a sentence ?????

I can't explain anything in one sentence. <_<

So tell them.....You see, the pick up generates a magnetic field, when the magnetic field is interrupted by the vibration of the metal strings, the frequency of the vibration travels through the conductive wires in the guitar and cable as a low volt electronic signals. These low watt electronic signals are what's picked up by the amplifier.

An analog pedal takes the signal and runs it through a series of transistors, resistors, diodes, capacitors and the like before it reaches the amplifier. Effecting the signal with gain if it acts like a preamp, delay, flange or chorus if if it act like a memory circuit. This is, of course, a layman's basic understanding of effects pedals and likely wrought with inaccuracies. I really don't know how a digital pedal works, but it must have a similar inner workings.

Tell them they're like cake. You can love plain cake. But add ingredients (effects). Walnuts(wah) Jam(overdrive) Cream(chorus) Coffee(compressor) and you have a tastier cake. You add what you like or have it plain.

Archived